Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Jul 17, 2020 at 9:15 AM Post #3,586 of 5,166
Can any G8X users tell me if they have issues with right/left angled plugs on their phones? I've read this is an issue, which would be problematic for me (especially because they have now put the output on the bottom of the phone)

Jul 17, 2020 at 9:35 AM Post #3,587 of 5,166
Thank you this is helpful and also applicable to the G7 because it sports the same DAC chip.

I tried your workaround and it indeed does the job, thanks. I also found that one can perform a similar "trick" by simply inserting a detachable cable into the phone, such that the phone registers the cable as an AUX device. Connecting the headphones to the cable keeps the power in AUX mode, which I guess is equivalent to line-out. There's definitely enough gain doing it this way, at least for lower powered phones. It's not the most elegant way to force the phone into high power, but it works. I did try my 600 ohm Beyers out of interest, but it's not really listenable without an external amp. The quality, however, is very nice.

1) LG G7 uses the same ES9218 audio chip.
2) AUX mode is Line-out mode.
3) Detachable headphone cables will do the same trick.
4) 600 ohm Beyers are just to much of an ask from any smartphone!!! Ideally I stick between 32 ~100 ohms with my V30+. Cans with 50 ~75 ohms impedance provides the actual meat with these LG phones, with 2 Vrms at disposal.

Jul 17, 2020 at 9:40 AM Post #3,588 of 5,166
1) LG G7 uses the same ES9218 audio chip.
2) AUX mode is Line-out mode.
3) Detachable headphone cables will do the same trick.
4) 600 ohm Beyers are just to much of an ask from any smartphone!!! Ideally I stick between 32 ~100 ohms with my V30+. Cans with 50 ~75 ohms impedance provides the actual meat with these LG phones, with 2 Vrms at disposal.
Heh,I know. I just wanted to see how it would sound in theory. When connected to an external 1w class a portable amp, sound convincing, though!

Jul 17, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #3,589 of 5,166
Oh babay this is one sweet phone!Not a scratch scuff dent or ding anywhere to be found for $250.00!
Swapped over my SIM card,plugged in the Mini SD with my entire music library & fired it up.Everything sync'ed right up,made a quick call,went right through no problems,pulled up the LG music player & there was EVERYTHING,including album art etc..The sound through my HE400i is good,VERY good compared to what I was using but It REALLY shines using Bluetooth.Aptx HD sync's right up with the Burson & streams at 96khz..The sound from the Burson is absolutely magical with the HFM cans,we truly are in a Golden Age for sound quality vs $ spent!

Attachments

• DSC_0018.JPG
    DSC_0018.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0016.JPG
    DSC_0016.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0015.JPG
    DSC_0015.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0017.JPG
    DSC_0017.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Jul 21, 2020 at 6:21 AM Post #3,592 of 5,166
Xplay 5S / Listen Pro

20200719-155138.jpg

Xplay 6 / Elegia

20200719-153341.jpg

As it seems you own both Vivo Xplay5s & Xplay6, would love to hear your thoughts about their sound quality & amplification power through headphone jack.

How different are their sound-signature's and which phone sticks to you personal preference?

Lastly, the quality of native DSD playback through Xplay6.

Thanks in advance!!!

Jul 21, 2020 at 10:27 AM Post #3,593 of 5,166
Probably a longshot but has anyone had the chance to subjectively compare the Sony Xperia 1II and LG V60 in terms of SQ? I know that the V60 is two steps back from the V50/40 but the flagship performance is more important to me than the loss in features (DSD, DoP, MQA, non-Meridian tuning, etc), plus it's very cheap for a flagship after selling the bundled dual screen + LG Tone Free TWS (ends up being $550cad/$410usd for a brand new V60 outright on the same month it got released, probably cheaper now).

The Xperia is only tempting to me because of the 90hz RR and form factor (don't like wide phones), but it's an extra $1k so the rational choice would be to wait until LG finally introduces 90-120hz RR on their flagships (should have been this year to be honest).

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020 at 2:30 PM Post #3,594 of 5,166
Here : https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bes...part-ii-updated-jan-2020.853115/post-15444157

As it seems you own both Vivo Xplay5s & Xplay6, would love to hear your thoughts about their sound quality & amplification power through headphone jack.

Both share the same technicalities (soundstage, level of detail, transparency ...) which are S tier.
Xplay 5S trebles are cleaner and clearer than Xplay 6's , so Xplay 5S allow you to better take advantage of transparency and level of detail.
Mids and Low are nearly the same , with Xplay 6's mids a little more foward.

Xplay 6 is more powerful than 5S : 60% of volume (XP6) = 80 % - 85 % of volume (XP5S).

How different are their sound-signature's and which phone sticks to you personal preference?

Xplay 5S is neutral while Xplay 6 is a little warm.

I prefer Xplay 5S neutrality.

Xplay 5S (with Listen Pro) = Monitoring sound.
Xplay 6 (with Elegia) = High quality speaker sound.

Lastly, the quality of native DSD playback through Xplay6.

Sadly , i can't help with DSD playback with XP6 as i don't have any.

Jul 21, 2020 at 4:34 PM Post #3,595 of 5,166
How do you think - xplay6 for 140$ and android 8 ( that lags too much) - is it worth it?
I hear that you cant downgrade for android7 that phone unless you close some contacts...

So i doubt to buy it, but want to experience both 5s and 6 too, even if i know 5s is better...

Jul 23, 2020 at 6:00 AM Post #3,597 of 5,166
Is there a sound difference between LG G8s and G8x? If not, how those compare to V40?

Jul 23, 2020 at 11:46 AM Post #3,598 of 5,166
Is there a sound difference between LG G8s and G8x? If not, how those compare to V40?
Comparison between the 3 you listed,G8x/G8s/V40 last...

SOUNDLoudspeakerYes, with stereo speakersYes, with stereo speakersYes
3.5mm jackYesYesYes
32-bit/192kHz audio
24-bit/192kHz audio recording
Tuned by Meridian Audio
32-bit/192kHz audio32-bit/192kHz audio
24-bit/48kHz audio recording
Tuned with Meridian Audio
2019LG G8 & V50Quad dac with Meridian TuningA warmer and smoother version of V30. sounds like zx507$400 128 + yes6.3Recommended
...The G8s does NOT have the Quad DAC OR the Meridian tuning so I suspect it will be more along the sonic signature of the V30/V30+...

Jul 24, 2020 at 12:07 PM Post #3,599 of 5,166
Hi everyone. I ordered an Asus ROG phone for $317 off AE couple of days ago. From what I hear it has some kind of 24 bit 192kHz DAC in it.

But its more interesting audiophile feature for me was something else - it has two USB slots. Enough to connect a charger and an external desktop or mobile dac at the same time. I'm not certain how well it works like this, but if it does, I'll be happy. Will report back when it arrives.

Received the Asus ROG phone last week after a brief three months' wait. This was mostly due to the package (Singapore Post) stopping in Singapore for a very long time.

The phone's two USB-C slots can indeed be used simultaneously to both charge the phone and to stream music to an external dac/dap. So I'm very happy with it.

With my previous Samsung S8+ I was often having trouble with either not being able to play music due to needing to charge the phone or not being able to go somewhere when my phone needed charging after having streamed music on it. So this is a feature I will be needing on my next phones as well. Hope it catches on and becomes available on a wide range of models. AFAIK there's currently ROG Phone II available with the feature and both Lenovo Legion phone and ROG Phone III have been announced with it.

The phone seems good in other aspects too. The UI is much more slick/fast than on the S8+.

It has some dap features as well but haven't played around with those yet.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #3,600 of 5,166
Here : https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bes...part-ii-updated-jan-2020.853115/post-15444157

Both share the same technicalities (soundstage, level of detail, transparency ...) which are S tier.
Xplay 5S trebles are cleaner and clearer than Xplay 6's , so Xplay 5S allow you to better take advantage of transparency and level of detail.
Mids and Low are nearly the same , with Xplay 6's mids a little more foward.

Xplay 6 is more powerful than 5S : 60% of volume (XP6) = 80 % - 85 % of volume (XP5S).

Xplay 5S is neutral while Xplay 6 is a little warm.

I prefer Xplay 5S neutrality.

Xplay 5S (with Listen Pro) = Monitoring sound.
Xplay 6 (with Elegia) = High quality speaker sound.

Sadly , i can't help with DSD playback with XP6 as i don't have any.

After your vivid description, I now can rightly imagine how the Vivo Xplay5s sounds. It should be more like my Vivo X5Max in terms of sound signature, where you are in a dilemma of calling it just neutral or warm sounding. It's more of a mixture of the two... a perfect balance. Details juts pops out without ever being shrilly and you don't need to concentrate hard to hunt for those little nuances in the song. More like the Xplay5s or X5Max does that hard work for you in revealing those fine intricate details which are then presented to you in a beautiful way... a treat to the ears. I have heard many smartphones with promising audio hardware but in the end only a few stands out. It has to be the right balance of the hardware and audio tuning.. which when paired with right headphones.. can become collector items.

B&O tuned LG V30/ V30+ with the right headphones can result in great surprises for your acquired taste... as it does for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back