Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Jun 16, 2020 at 11:15 AM Post #3,526 of 5,166
1) My Xplay6 and X9Plus still struck on Android 7. :sob:
2) It's difficult to compare but i usually use G8.
If you want to know, X9Plus sound is neutral and wide. it feel like open-back headphones. but lack of dynamics and has thin sound.
3) In terms of audio it is similar, i sold V50 because i will change to V60, but V60 is so disappoint (i sold v50 before v60 release). then i choose G8. :slight_smile:

G8X is better than V40. more performance, battery.
but if you attention only audio then pick V40 because it's cheaper. :k701smile:

Chinese smartphone manufacturers had this tendency of not providing Android software updates in the past. BBK Electronics when first set foot in India at the end of 2014 with Vivo & Oppo never provided any software updates. Hence my Vivo X5 Max of 2015 came with Android 4.4.4 (KitKat) and remained like that. However they started providing bi-monthly Android security patches for two years. India being their first market outside China this is where they first learned the importance of software updates and its positive impact on sales. Gradually they started providing software updates and the first wave came around 2017.

The trio of Vivo X9 (Vivo V5 Plus, globally), Vivo X9 Plus & Vivo Xplay 6 were launched at the same event and made available from Jan 2017. This new batch received one Android software update (Android 6 to Android 7) and three years of android security patches. My X9/ V5Plus was launched in Nov, 2016 and received android security patches till Oct, 2019, three years. I hope you have received the same with X9 Plus & Xplay 6.

From 2018 onward they started following the industry standard practice of two Android software updates and three years of security patch updates for their mid-range to flagship phones. Hence my Vivo NEX (Vivo NEX S in China) & Oppo F7 arrived with Android 8 in 2018, got updated to Android 9 in 2019 and finally received Android 10 in 2020. Now Vivo & Oppo provides better software updates than LG.

Is Xplay 6 any different to G8 in terms of sound signature and resolution?

The ESS ES9018Q2M (DAC) + ESS ES9063 (Headphone amplifier) of X9 Plus should provide typical ESS sound, but it is sad to see the implementation is not that good. However it can well be an example of a downgraded custom solution provided by ESS to X9 Plus where as Xplay 6 gets the best treatment.

I know G8X is more of a practical device, undoubtedly better as a daily driver. The price gap is very big though. Before onset of the pandemic LG V40 was selling around $275 brand new, where as G8X is currently $650 in India. At that time I bought my second LG V30+ (B&O Edition) for $150 brand new.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2020 at 12:44 AM Post #3,527 of 5,166
Chinese smartphone manufacturers had this tendency of not providing Android software updates in the past. BBK Electronics when first set foot in India at the end of 2014 with Vivo & Oppo never provided any software updates. Hence my Vivo X5 Max of 2015 came with Android 4.4.4 (KitKat) and remained like that. However they started providing bi-monthly Android security patches for two years. India being their first market outside China this is where they first learned the importance of software updates and its positive impact on sales. Gradually they started providing software updates and the first wave came around 2017.

The trio of Vivo X9 (Vivo V5 Plus, globally), Vivo X9 Plus & Vivo Xplay 6 were launched at the same event and made available from Jan 2017. This new batch received one Android software update (Android 6 to Android 7) and three years of android security patches. My X9/ V5Plus was launched in Nov, 2016 and received android security patches till Oct, 2019, three years. I hope you have received the same with X9 Plus & Xplay 6.

From 2018 onward they started following the industry standard practice of two Android software updates and three years of security patch updates for their mid-range to flagship phones. Hence my Vivo NEX (Vivo NEX S in China) & Oppo F7 arrived with Android 8 in 2018, got updated to Android 9 in 2019 and finally received Android 10 in 2020. Now Vivo & Oppo provides better software updates than LG.

Is Xplay 6 any different to G8 in terms of sound signature and resolution?

The ESS ES9018Q2M (DAC) + ESS ES9063 (Headphone amplifier) of X9 Plus should provide typical ESS sound, but it is sad to see the implementation is not that good. However it can well be an example of a downgraded custom solution provided by ESS to X9 Plus where as Xplay 6 gets the best treatment.

I know G8X is more of a practical device, undoubtedly better as a daily driver. The price gap is very big though. Before onset of the pandemic LG V40 was selling around $275 brand new, where as G8X is currently $650 in India. At that time I bought my second LG V30+ (B&O Edition) for $150 brand new.

X9Plus isn't bad, sometime i like it. (I got 2nd-hand from nearby market just $50) :relieved:

XP6 and G8 are so different.
G8: wider sound-stage, balance sound.
XP6: deeper, warm sound.

G8X is too expensive, Then choose V40. It is also a good phone. Too much price gap(more than twice!)

Jun 21, 2020 at 1:25 AM Post #3,528 of 5,166
Anyone know whether the gaming phones like Redmagic or Xiamoi are any good for music?

Jun 21, 2020 at 10:29 AM Post #3,530 of 5,166
Hi, i Got confused by the number of android phones here. What is the best sounding phone that money can buy?

I use campfire andromeda’s btw. Any help would be much appreciated

vivo xplay6 or Nex S. This will match with andro better than LGs

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #3,531 of 5,166
Ok, my HTC 10 died and I'm in the search for a new phone. For the time being I still have my old htc m8, but it's clearly inferior in almost everything :wink:

Must have:
- neutral/warm sound, not analytical (will use with neutron)
- sd card (at least 400 gb)
- jack (will connect to amp)
- android
- available in europe
- not too old

Nice to have:
- ir blaster (similar as htc m8)
- good photos (htc is not the strongest here)

Thanks for all suggestions.

Jun 22, 2020 at 3:19 AM Post #3,533 of 5,166
Ok, my HTC 10 died and I'm in the search for a new phone. For the time being I still have my old htc m8, but it's clearly inferior in almost everything :wink:

Must have:
- neutral/warm sound, not analytical (will use with neutron)
- sd card (at least 400 gb)
- jack (will connect to amp)
- android
- available in europe
- not too old

Nice to have:
- ir blaster (similar as htc m8)
- good photos (htc is not the strongest here)

Thanks for all suggestions.

LG V40/50

Jun 22, 2020 at 3:20 AM Post #3,534 of 5,166
All right thanks! Do you have recommendations for a newer models/more known models as I can’t find these 2 in Singapore where I stay,,,are the new LG v60 thinq good?

Ok if you don't use DSD and MQA.

Jun 22, 2020 at 4:23 AM Post #3,536 of 5,166
Was kinda expecting some LGs :wink: Any difference between those two?

The sound is same just V50 is newer model. but V50 doesn't support native DSD / DoP as per UAPP dev told.

Jun 22, 2020 at 8:55 AM Post #3,537 of 5,166
Hi, i Got confused by the number of android phones here. What is the best sounding phone that money can buy?

I use campfire andromeda’s btw. Any help would be much appreciated

There is no one smartphone that sounds the best. In the same way their is no smartphone that sounds the worst.

So coming down to your preferences: neutral & analytical OR warm & rich sounding?

I personally like both sound signatures, and the final sound signature will always be the combination of headphone & smartphone pairing.

Neutral & Analytical sounding: LG V30 (B&O tuned), LG G7
Warm & rich sounding: Vivo NEX S, Meridian tuned LG's like V40, V50, V50S/G8X.

I am only mentioning smartphones that are relevant and readily available on the market. If the LG's mentioned above are running on Android 9, you will have native DSD/ DoP playback support. If upgraded to Android 10, DoP is a gone case, killed by LG. However NEX S will provide DoP on Android 10. MQA support in not present in NEX S & V50S/G8X.

Objectively measured all smartphones mentioned are great in terms of sound quality, one besting the other while none superior than the other. Subjectively, every person has the right to give his/her opinion, so for me it boils down to V30 & NEX S as I own both.

From an overall smartphone perspective, LG V50 on Android 9 is the best deal. In this bunch it is the king of specs, plus Meridian tuning on Quad DAC, MQA & DoP support.

LG V60 is a new phone and comes factory loaded with Android 10. LG's QuadDAC is present, sans DoP & MQA. If these two are not important to you, V60 is the most future proof smartphone you can buy eyes closed.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2020 at 10:03 PM Post #3,538 of 5,166
I'm looking for a cheap, larger smartphone with micro sd to use with UAPP > Qobuz > iFi Nano iDSD BL. Are there any budget favorites to use as a source? Maybe between $100-200? I don't need to use it as a phone. Only over wifi...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back