Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Mar 30, 2020 at 6:53 AM Post #3,211 of 5,166
I have both lg v30 and vivo xplay 6. Would it''s be an upgrade from switch to vivo nex S, lg v50 or i should to go with a hires DAP ex Ibasso 200, sony ZX2?

Go for DX200 is a better option.

Mar 30, 2020 at 7:44 AM Post #3,213 of 5,166
for some reason adapter such as ibasso dc01 cannot work with samsung note 10, is shanling m2x that bad ?

There are a lot of options. Meizu dac, zorloo etc.

Mar 30, 2020 at 7:47 AM Post #3,214 of 5,166
Is shanling m2x waste of money??

For me , yes.

Note 10 + USB dongle (E1DA 9038 ...) is more interesting in term of UI , compatibility and performance / cost ratio.
You already have the Note 10 so you only have to get a dongle.

And guess what ? If you don't like it , it will cost you less than the M2X (200 $) : for its price , you can get 4 - 5 USB dongles !

Mar 30, 2020 at 9:23 AM Post #3,215 of 5,166
To me UAPP has the best sound. Sounding unprocessed due to bit-perfect, and luv the transparency and clarity. The interface gotten so good over the years, now with added in app parametric EQ, tonebooster, and Tidal in bit-perfect. I don't like the sound of Neutron or Power amp, or other apps as they sound like there some processing going on.

I have no issue with ui, or it's response speed. I actually like that the app disappears when I close it. I could why it could annoying for some. You should ask about turning off this feature in the UAPP thread.
Isn't it weird how we all hear things differently? I've tried all 3 major "serious" music players. Started with Poweramp, had it for years. Tried Neutron, and it sounded like a blanket had been lifted off the sound. Tried UAPP, and i agree, it's UI is miles better than Neutron, but with all eq off, in bit perfect mode, the two sounded no different to me. Where I hated UAPP was in the EQ implementation. It was too fiddly, confusing and the toneboosters start of just 6 eq bands (if there were more, then i had no idea how to add them, and there was no hints), was downright lousy. Neutron's parametric eq is soooo much better, more precise, easier to implement and just better. Horses for courses.

Mar 30, 2020 at 9:49 AM Post #3,216 of 5,166
Isn't it weird how we all hear things differently? I've tried all 3 major "serious" music players. Started with Poweramp, had it for years. Tried Neutron, and it sounded like a blanket had been lifted off the sound. Tried UAPP, and i agree, it's UI is miles better than Neutron, but with all eq off, in bit perfect mode, the two sounded no different to me. Where I hated UAPP was in the EQ implementation. It was too fiddly, confusing and the toneboosters start of just 6 eq bands (if there were more, then i had no idea how to add them, and there was no hints), was downright lousy. Neutron's parametric eq is soooo much better, more precise, easier to implement and just better. Horses for courses.
Yeah, I see your point about neutron's EQ being easier for the avg user. Although I generally like Tonebooster in the way it works, the interface could be improved for easier usage on smartphones. Tonebooster is quite annoying due to the way it's controlled. As far as sound, I prefer UAPP, it just sounds uncolored, or bit-perfect.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #3,217 of 5,166
Yeah, I see your point about neutron's EQ being easier for the avg user. Although I generally like Tonebooster in the way it works, the interface could be improved for easier usage on smartphones. Tonebooster is quite annoying due to the way it's controlled. As far as sound, I prefer UAPP, it just sounds uncolored, or bit-perfect.
I can't really compare listening to UAPP & Neutron back to back on a smartphone solely, as i use a dac/amplifier piggy backed to a phone, but i do know with this option ticked in Neutron :
Screenshot_20200330-150550_Neutron.jpg

The sound through the FiiO Q5 is no different to UAPP. I think it's going to come down to your own personal music tastes. If, like me, some of your music genres requires a solid bass foundation (Hip hop, edm, etc), then i just couldn't match the same depth and reach (especially in the sub-bass region) with UAPP that i could in Neutron. If I'm being honest, Poweramp is the best for true Bassheads, but i have an eclectic and varied mix of music tastes, and i just found that PA sounded veiled in comparison. Fantastic UI though... looks the best of any. I just found that Neutron was the best all-rounder (once you'd got your head round that confusing and awkward interface!)

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2020 at 10:59 AM Post #3,218 of 5,166
I used Neutron for years, but grew tired of never feeling I could completely enjoy the UI or the sometimes multi-step and convoluted process to get things done such as equalization. I agree in terms of technical prowess and sound quality that Neutron has to be at or near the top of the list, but usability wise it does struggle. I ended up moving to the vastly simpler Onkyo HF Player and in general I am quite pleased and find the FIR equalizer very good, but I am by no means an expert in the area. I would be curious to know what others or more knowledgeable others thought of the equalizer implementation in HF Player.

Mar 30, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #3,219 of 5,166
Guys anyone here has LG v50 who could make some useful video about Ess DAC and compatibility?

Mar 30, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #3,220 of 5,166
I used Neutron for years, but grew tired of never feeling I could completely enjoy the UI or the sometimes multi-step and convoluted process to get things done such as equalization. I agree in terms of technical prowess and sound quality that Neutron has to be at or near the top of the list, but usability wise it does struggle. I ended up moving to the vastly simpler Onkyo HF Player and in general I am quite pleased and find the FIR equalizer very good, but I am by no means an expert in the area. I would be curious to know what others or more knowledgeable others thought of the equalizer implementation in HF Player.
I looked at Onkyo HF Player, and it is very good. Sounds good too, but the EQ is still basic compared to Neutron. Once you've understood how to utilise the Q factor as well as the standard +/- gain, you can't really go back to a basic multi band, level adjustment only equaliser. But like I've said, if geeky eq ain't your thing, then there are better options with the same sound quality than Neutron.

Mar 30, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #3,221 of 5,166
Yes, it's really weird but i praise the ability to discover the different tastes to find my sweet spot. :)
I like the para-eq on Uapp. For me, i don't need most of the eq-bands it provides.
In the worst case, i do use max 4 to decrease the disdurbing frequencies, if necessary.
In my case, it seems to be better to reduce disturbing frequencies instead of boosting the missing ones.

V30 and Uapp is a perfect pairing, imo. :)

Mar 30, 2020 at 2:36 PM Post #3,222 of 5,166
I looked at Onkyo HF Player, and it is very good. Sounds good too, but the EQ is still basic compared to Neutron. Once you've understood how to utilise the Q factor as well as the standard +/- gain, you can't really go back to a basic multi band, level adjustment only equaliser. But like I've said, if geeky eq ain't your thing, then there are better options with the same sound quality than Neutron.
I am actually fine with using a parametric equalizer and have done so for use through JRiver Media Center and with Neutron for example. I just hate the complexity of the interface in Neutron. I always felt like there were too many steps to getting anything done. Mind you I haven't used Neutron in about 4 years now so perhaps a more recent build will be better?

Mar 30, 2020 at 3:47 PM Post #3,223 of 5,166
For me , yes.

Note 10 + USB dongle (E1DA 9038 ...) is more interesting in term of UI , compatibility and performance / cost ratio.
You already have the Note 10 so you only have to get a dongle.

And guess what ? If you don't like it , it will cost you less than the M2X (200 $) : for its price , you can get 4 - 5 USB dongles !
Thank you for these man, any recommendation for dac because I want it to drive with full size headphone hifiman he400, any brand in particular what I'm thinking is Q5 dac? Or I should get the btr 3 or btr 5?

Mar 30, 2020 at 4:14 PM Post #3,224 of 5,166
I am actually fine with using a parametric equalizer and have done so for use through JRiver Media Center and with Neutron for example. I just hate the complexity of the interface in Neutron. I always felt like there were too many steps to getting anything done. Mind you I haven't used Neutron in about 4 years now so perhaps a more recent build will be better?
I agree. It is definitely too busy. Imagine if the guys at Poweramp, Neutron and UAPP got together and Co-designed a music app. Neutron's depth, with UAPP's ease of use and Poweramps look and customization. End game..

Mar 30, 2020 at 6:57 PM Post #3,225 of 5,166
I agree. It is definitely too busy. Imagine if the guys at Poweramp, Neutron and UAPP got together and Co-designed a music app. Neutron's depth, with UAPP's ease of use and Poweramps look and customization. End game..
Totally agree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back