Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Dec 17, 2018 at 7:46 PM Post #2,131 of 5,162
How's the Nex S catching up in software updates ? Indisplay fingerprint scanner and camera improved ?

Nex S has 2 models. One is china rom. Another is global rom. China rom update (20 updates) is more frequent than global rom (5 updates). The fingerprint is improved a lot after first time use.

Dec 17, 2018 at 7:48 PM Post #2,132 of 5,162
Alright, I think it's better to get something like Shanling M0 or even Fiio BTR3 rather then wasting time and money on such dongles. Both have LDAC and provide SQ equal to LG V30 (at least in case of M0 as it uses the same DAC as V30). Just use it as bluetooth dac/amp. No need to mess with it's tiny screen/ui. They should have made a slimmer non-screen version of it. I think Fiio has a perfect design but with an inferior DAC to M0.

I was actually thinking of doing the same but I needed something better SQ wise then the V30, hence I dropped the idea.

Great choice. Shanling m0, BTR3

Adding another choice. ES100 if you wanna try 2.5 balanced output.

Dec 18, 2018 at 9:13 AM Post #2,138 of 5,162
Yes correct but it is in middle between "convenience" and "fairly good quality"

And also buying shanling m0, you will get both dap and dac function in cheapest method.

Dec 18, 2018 at 3:24 PM Post #2,140 of 5,162
well i have iphone xs max and dam love irs sound, i think they have evolved sound wise from iphone 8 alot, makes me why even own a dap now

Dec 19, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #2,141 of 5,162
well i have iphone xs max and dam love irs sound, i think they have evolved sound wise from iphone 8 alot, makes me why even own a dap now

How does the sound compare with previous versions of iphone? I have listened until Iphone 6 and i can say that iphone 4s and 5s were best in audio . Sound is even better using a cable that bypassed the internal amp and connect an external amp. The downside was that iphone 4 and 4s didnt support hires

Dec 19, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #2,142 of 5,162
with iphones up to iphone 8 i felt they are a little bloated with bass, no i hear it more balanced still there is good bass but the mids are more clear

i mean yes some high end daps sound better than iphone xs max but with iphone xs max the sound is really good and many can enjoy it without the need to buy a very expensive dap to get that extra 5% more of details

Dec 25, 2018 at 2:26 PM Post #2,144 of 5,162
You can clip it with jean's pocket

Purchased ES100 some weeks ago to give it a try by myself and have to eat some words...
SBH50's bluetooth 3.0 or GGMM A1 are quite insufficient regarding SQ. IMO ES100 clearly plays another league (not to mention balanced mode option and ES brilliant app).

aptX HD and LDAC (when the streaming is in best SQ mode) should satisfy almost everyone and I'm very happy that the time has arrived. It can only go better.

On the other hand, IMHO sound is still better out of Redmi Note 5 using 3,5mm jack with no EQ (ES100 would be a "8,5 out of 10" maybe?). Codecs can always improve (I think there're already some news regarding something better than LDAC on the way), and still did not give it a try in balanced mode. This, sir, has been a very pleasant surprise. To improve with a more solid construction and USB C connector, but deserves every cent spent in it :beerchug:

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2018 at 2:31 AM Post #2,145 of 5,162
Purchased ES100 some weeks ago to give it a try by myself and have to eat some words...
SBH50's bluetooth 3.0 or GGMM A1 are quite insufficient regarding SQ. IMO ES100 clearly plays another league (not to mention balanced mode option and ES brilliant app).

aptX HD and LDAC (when the streaming is in best SQ mode) should satisfy almost everyone and I'm very happy that the time has arrived. It can only go better.

On the other hand, IMHO sound is still better out of Redmi Note 5 using 3,5mm jack with no EQ (ES100 would be a "8,5 out of 10" maybe?). Codecs can always improve (I think there're already some news regarding something better than LDAC on the way), and still did not give it a try in balanced mode. This, sir, has been a very pleasant surprise. To improve with a more solid construction and USB C connector, but deserves every cent spent in it :beerchug:

Glad you love it. I would say HWA (huawei hires audio codec) is better than LDAC codec (even it is in same bit rate)

So we need to wait for more bluetooth dac support on HWA. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back