Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Dec 12, 2018 at 5:42 AM Post #2,116 of 5,166
That specs, woohaa! Will someone be able to maximize it? :D

It's a pitty that a lot of the phones mentioned in this thread are not officially available in germany...
But: got some real useful hints and bought a new HTC10. It's a real new experience concerning audio for me compared to my Samsung A5 (2016) with my IEM and Headphones. Thanks for all the good advice. Unfortunately it has a real bug when calling and has to be fixed...

Dec 12, 2018 at 6:20 AM Post #2,117 of 5,166
It's a pitty that a lot of the phones mentioned in this thread are not officially available in germany...
But: got some real useful hints and bought a new HTC10. It's a real new experience concerning audio for me compared to my Samsung A5 (2016) with my IEM and Headphones. Thanks for all the good advice. Unfortunately it has a real bug when calling and has to be fixed...

Buy DX200! Then you dont need to rely on phone audio quality :)

Dec 12, 2018 at 6:42 AM Post #2,118 of 5,166
I was experimenting with my meizu pro 7 in order to achieve direct hires audio playback i edited like in txt i upload the audio policy config xml(system/etc) by adding 88200 96000 192000 where originaly only 44.100 and 48000 was. After reboot direct hires playback was achieved . I tested it with usapp and latest poweramp and the dumpsys media.audio_flinger command and i tested it with other apps like sample rate checker etc.
Playback is a little buggy for example if you switch playback of 2 songs with different rate or sometimes if you switch different players but with reboot it is fixed .

Attachments

• audio_policy_configuration.txt
    14.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 12, 2018 at 6:52 AM Post #2,119 of 5,166
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<!-- Copyright (C) 2015 The Android Open Source Project

Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License");
you may not use this file except in compliance with the License.
You may obtain a copy of the License at

http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0

Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software
distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS,
WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied.
See the License for the specific language governing permissions and
limitations under the License.
-->

<audioPolicyConfiguration version="1.0" xmlns:xi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude">
<!-- version section contains a “version” tag in the form “major.minor” e.g version=”1.0” -->

<!-- Global configuration Decalaration -->
<globalConfiguration speaker_drc_enabled="false"/>

<!-- Modules section:
There is one section per audio HW module present on the platform.
Each module section will contains two mandatory tags for audio HAL “halVersion” and “name”.
The module names are the same as in current .conf file:
“primary”, “A2DP”, “remote_submix”, “USB”
Each module will contain the following sections:
“devicePorts”: a list of device descriptors for all input and output devices accessible via this
module.
This contains both permanently attached devices and removable devices.
“mixPorts”: listing all output and input streams exposed by the audio HAL
“routes”: list of possible connections between input and output devices or between stream and
devices.
"route": is defined by an attribute:
-"type": <mux|mix> means all sources are mutual exclusive (mux) or can be mixed (mix)
-"sink": the sink involved in this route
-"sources": all the sources than can be connected to the sink via vis route
“attachedDevices”: permanently attached devices.
The attachedDevices section is a list of devices names. The names correspond to device names
defined in <devicePorts> section.
“defaultOutputDevice”: device to be used by default when no policy rule applies
-->
<modules>
<!-- Primary Audio HAL -->
<module name="primary" halVersion="3.0">
<attachedDevices>
<item>Speaker</item>
<item>Earpiece</item>
<item>Built-In Mic</item>
<item>FM Tuner In</item>
<item>Voice Call In</item>
</attachedDevices>
<defaultOutputDevice>Speaker</defaultOutputDevice>
<mixPorts>
<mixPort name="primary output" role="source" flags="AUDIO_OUTPUT_FLAG_PRIMARY">
<profile name="" format="AUDIO_FORMAT_PCM_32_BIT"
samplingRates="44100,48000,88200,96000,192000" channelMasks="AUDIO_CHANNEL_OUT_STEREO"/>
<profile name="" format="AUDIO_FORMAT_PCM_16_BIT"
samplingRates="44100,48000" channelMasks="AUDIO_CHANNEL_OUT_STEREO"/>
</mixPort>
<mixPort name="fast" role="source" flags="AUDIO_OUTPUT_FLAG_FAST">
samplingRates="44100,48000,88200,96000,192000" channelMasks="AUDIO_CHANNEL_OUT_STEREO"/>
</mixPort>
<mixPort name="primary input" role="sink">
samplingRates="8000,16000,32000,44100,48000"
channelMasks="AUDIO_CHANNEL_IN_MONO,AUDIO_CHANNEL_IN_STEREO,AUDIO_CHANNEL_IN_VOICE_UPLINK,AUDIO_CHANNEL_IN_VOICE_DNLINK"/>
</mixPort>
</mixPorts>
<devicePorts>
<!-- Output devices declaration, i.e. Sink DEVICE PORT -->
<devicePort tagName="Earpiece" type="AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_EARPIECE" role="sink">
samplingRates="44100,48000" channelMasks="AUDIO_CHANNEL_OUT_MONO"/>
samplingRates="44100,48000" channelMasks="AUDIO_CHANNEL_OUT_MONO"/>
</devicePort>
<devicePort tagName="Speaker" role="sink" type="AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_SPEAKER" address="">
</devicePort>
<devicePort tagName="Wired Headset" type="AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_WIRED_HEADSET" role="sink">
</devicePort>
<devicePort tagName="Wired Headphones" type="AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_WIRED_HEADPHONE" role="sink">
</devicePort>
<devicePort tagName="AUX Digital Out" type="AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_AUX_DIGITAL" role="sink">
</devicePort>
<devicePort tagName="BT SCO" type="AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_BLUETOOTH_SCO" role="sink">
samplingRates="8000,16000" channelMasks="AUDIO_CHANNEL_OUT_STEREO"/>
</devicePort>
<devicePort tagName="BT SCO Headset" type="AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_BLUETOOTH_SCO_HEADSET" role="sink">
</devicePort>
<devicePort tagName="BT SCO Car Kit" type="AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_BLUETOOTH_SCO_CARKIT" role="sink">
</devicePort>
<devicePort tagName="Analog Dock Headset" type="AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_ANLG_DOCK_HEADSET" role="sink">
</devicePort>
<devicePort tagName="Digital Dock Headset" type="AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_DGTL_DOCK_HEADSET" role="sink">
</devicePort>
<devicePort tagName="FM Tuner Out" type="AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_FM" role="sink">
</devicePort>

<devicePort tagName="USB Primary Out" type="AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_USB_PRIMARY" role="sink">
</devicePort>

<devicePort tagName="Built-In Mic" type="AUDIO_DEVICE_IN_BUILTIN_MIC" role="source">
channelMasks="AUDIO_CHANNEL_IN_MONO,AUDIO_CHANNEL_IN_STEREO"/>
</devicePort>
<devicePort tagName="Built-In Back Mic" type="AUDIO_DEVICE_IN_BACK_MIC" role="source">
</devicePort>
<devicePort tagName="Wired Headset Mic" type="AUDIO_DEVICE_IN_WIRED_HEADSET" role="source">
</devicePort>
<devicePort tagName="BT SCO Headset Mic" type="AUDIO_DEVICE_IN_BLUETOOTH_SCO_HEADSET" role="source">
</devicePort>
<devicePort tagName="AUX Digital In" type="AUDIO_DEVICE_IN_AUX_DIGITAL" role="source">
</devicePort>
<devicePort tagName="FM Tuner In" type="AUDIO_DEVICE_IN_FM_TUNER" role="source">
</devicePort>
<devicePort tagName="USB Primary In" type="AUDIO_DEVICE_IN_USB_PRIMARY" role="source">
</devicePort>
<devicePort tagName="Voice Call In" type="AUDIO_DEVICE_IN_VOICE_CALL" role="source">
channelMasks="AUDIO_CHANNEL_IN_MONO,AUDIO_CHANNEL_IN_STEREO,AUDIO_CHANNEL_IN_VOICE_UPLINK,AUDIO_CHANNEL_IN_VOICE_DNLINK"/>
</devicePort>
</devicePorts>
<!-- route declaration, i.e. list all available sources for a given sink -->
<routes>
<route type="mix" sink="Earpiece"
sources="primary output,fast"/>
<route type="mix" sink="Speaker"
sources="primary output,fast,FM Tuner In"/>
<route type="mix" sink="Wired Headset"
<route type="mix" sink="Wired Headphones"
<route type="mix" sink="AUX Digital Out"
sources="primary output"/>
<route type="mix" sink="BT SCO"
<route type="mix" sink="BT SCO Headset"
<route type="mix" sink="BT SCO Car Kit"
<route type="mix" sink="Analog Dock Headset"
<route type="mix" sink="Digital Dock Headset"
<route type="mix" sink="FM Tuner Out"
<route type="mix" sink="USB Primary Out"
<route type="mix" sink="primary input"
sources="Built-In Mic,Built-In Back Mic,Wired Headset Mic,BT SCO Headset Mic,AUX Digital In,FM Tuner In,USB Primary In,Voice Call In"/>
</routes>

</module>

<!-- A2dp Audio HAL -->
<xi:include href="a2dp_audio_policy_configuration.xml"/>

<!-- Usb Audio HAL -->
<xi:include href="usb_audio_policy_configuration.xml"/>

<!-- Remote Submix Audio HAL -->
<xi:include href="r_submix_audio_policy_configuration.xml"/>

</modules>
<!-- End of Modules section -->

<!-- Volume section -->

<xi:include href="audio_policy_volumes.xml"/>
<xi:include href="default_volume_tables.xml"/>

<!-- End of Volume section -->

</audioPolicyConfiguration>

Dec 13, 2018 at 5:35 AM Post #2,120 of 5,166
The Vivo Nex Dual Display should be an upgraded version of the Vivo Nex S with slightly better specs/ more functionalities, but its AKM-4377A is also found in the cheaper Vivo X23....hmmmm.

Oh well, only time will tell when one has done a listening test with the Dual Display edition

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #2,122 of 5,166
Looks like we are moving in an opposite direction with these latest releases. Vivo's nex s was worse then xplay 6 and now nex 2 is worse then nex s. Even v40 is slightly worse then v30 according to many who tried both those phones. These newer phones give me no reason to upgrade at all. Maybe it's better to buy a separate LDAC capable dac/amp and keep on using an old phone. I remember 2-3 years back there were so many options like vibe x3, xplay 6, meizu pro 5, le max and with each one of them improving the audio game for better. Whereas most flagships don't even have a headphone jack these days.

I loose my interest the moment i see them :rolling_eyes:

Dec 17, 2018 at 11:10 AM Post #2,123 of 5,166
Looks like we are moving in an opposite direction with these latest releases. Vivo's nex s was worse then xplay 6 and now nex 2 is worse then nex s. Even v40 is slightly worse then v30 according to many who tried both those phones. These newer phones give me no reason to upgrade at all. Maybe it's better to buy a separate LDAC capable dac/amp and keep on using an old phone. I remember 2-3 years back there were so many options like vibe x3, xplay 6, meizu pro 5, le max and with each one of them improving the audio game for better. Whereas most flagships don't even have a headphone jack these days.

Same thought. I felt it for a while ago though. That's why I go for something more interesting in DAP section instead. Its future seems more promising.

And maybe I will just go back to typical smartphone brand now. Like SS, iphone.

Dec 17, 2018 at 11:58 AM Post #2,124 of 5,166
Same thought. I felt it for a while ago though. That's why I go for something more interesting in DAP section instead. Its future seems more promising.

And maybe I will just go back to typical smartphone brand now. Like SS, iphone.
Even latest smartphones don't tempt me at all. My brother got a new Pixel 3 XL from his company recently. I compared it side by side with my Le Max and difference was rather unimpressive. I mainly compared screen quality as it's everything for me after the sound department. When I got Macbook Pro I did think of becoming an Apple sheep by getting a used Iphone X to compliment it but still it offers no value over my already good phone ie. Le Max because of a smaller screen. I like my Le Max so much primarily because of it's huge 6.3" no notch QHD screen and then it has good sound quality to boot with.

I did think of getting a DAP but just don't want to deal with their stupid interface in 2018. It puts me off when i see crappy low res screens being used in top $ DAPs.

Dec 17, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #2,127 of 5,166

Seems like have to rely on usb c to 3.5mm dac/amp cable like VE ODESSEY, HIDIZS SONATA HD2 for portable use. Atleast low impedance iems can be used for them.

Dec 17, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #2,129 of 5,166
Please share your experience. I never tried it so can't say much about their performance.

Well to start with i have Ve Odessey. It's pretty powerful and claims to power earphones upto 150ohms impedance. Regarding audio quality it's not upto LG audiophile series for sure. But it's definitely better than regular mobile phone headphonejacks.
Con is Ve Odessey has static noise issue radio frequency interference with mobile signals.
So if you wanna try... Try with Hidizs Sonata HD2 . I heard it's better than VE Odessey in sound quality though it powers less impedance earphones and doesn't have static noise issue. If you can wait i also heard rumours that Hidizs is readying their "Sonata HD2 Silver cable"

Dec 17, 2018 at 4:58 PM Post #2,130 of 5,166
Well to start with i have Ve Odessey. It's pretty powerful and claims to power earphones upto 150ohms impedance. Regarding audio quality it's not upto LG audiophile series for sure. But it's definitely better than regular mobile phone headphonejacks.
Con is Ve Odessey has static noise issue radio frequency interference with mobile signals.
So if you wanna try... Try with Hidizs Sonata HD2 . I heard it's better than VE Odessey in sound quality though it powers less impedance earphones and doesn't have static noise issue. If you can wait i also heard rumours that Hidizs is readying their "Sonata HD2 Silver cable"
Alright, I think it's better to get something like Shanling M0 or even Fiio BTR3 rather then wasting time and money on such dongles. Both have LDAC and provide SQ equal to LG V30 (at least in case of M0 as it uses the same DAC as V30). Just use it as bluetooth dac/amp. No need to mess with it's tiny screen/ui. They should have made a slimmer non-screen version of it. I think Fiio has a perfect design but with an inferior DAC to M0.

I was actually thinking of doing the same but I needed something better SQ wise then the V30, hence I dropped the idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back