Best Smartphone for audiophile Part II (Updated: Jan 2020)
Apr 29, 2019 at 2:03 AM Post #2,371 of 5,166
@artpiggo
I have used aliexpress but our customs is not the most reliable. I have ordered some vaping stuff from Ali, FT etc but a phone I am not too sure. I can certainly try but the risk cannot be my entire budget :frowning2:
And as per your sheet the pro 6 plus does not have "RECOMMENDED" ?!
And just to add - no one ships the pro 6 plus to India. When I signed in and searched for it, ae returned 0 results. So I guess there is some issue with sending the phone over :frowning2:

And very V20 and V30 on AE is refurbished, is this right to expect?

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2019 at 2:14 AM Post #2,372 of 5,166
@artpiggo
Also just to confirm since I lack any serious knowledge, an ldac phone would demand a powerful or at least a compatible set of the head phones right? A general set of BT earphones (I have a pair of JBL ear pods) would not take advantage of an ldac phone right?

Correct you need to see LDAC logo if possible on headphone package.

Apr 29, 2019 at 2:19 AM Post #2,373 of 5,166
@artpiggo
I have used aliexpress but our customs is not the most reliable. I have ordered some vaping stuff from Ali, FT etc but a phone I am not too sure. I can certainly try but the risk cannot be my entire budget :frowning2:
And as per your sheet the pro 6 plus does not have "RECOMMENDED" ?!
And just to add - no one ships the pro 6 plus to India. When I signed in and searched for it, ae returned 0 results. So I guess there is some issue with sending the phone over :frowning2:

And very V20 and V30 on AE is refurbished, is this right to expect?

Pro6 plus is not recommended but i cant do much because you have limited budget :frowning2:

I dont even know your phone's pool list in your availability.

If the phone is that hard to obtain. Just buy cheap dap like shanling or fiio.

Apr 29, 2019 at 2:30 AM Post #2,374 of 5,166
Pro6 plus is not recommended but i cant do much because you have limited budget :frowning2:

I dont even know your phone's pool list in your availability.

If the phone is that hard to obtain. Just buy cheap dap like shanling or fiio.

Correct me is I am wrong, dap is a digital audio player right? Can that be used with spotify or prime?

As for the pool list, nokia 7.1, v30+ and g7 thin q are present from an availability stand point but they are all 400+ USD. The budget smartphones in India are dominated by Xiaomi and the likes. I guess it is unfair for me to ask for a recommendation from another geography but I was hoping you would have familiarity maybe by having helped others from India. I guess I just got to settle for poor audio as far as smartphones go. I really needed this for using it on-the-go, hence the request out here :)

Apr 29, 2019 at 2:35 AM Post #2,375 of 5,166
Buy second hand V30+/G7 ?

Yes DAP is digital player. Fiio M6 can spotify

Apr 29, 2019 at 3:00 AM Post #2,376 of 5,166
Buy second hand V30+/G7 ?

Yes DAP is digital player. Fiio M6 can spotify
Strictly no second hand, that market is notorious here and more often that not you end burning your money!
Just one small point - in a phone what should I look for to see if it can deliver at least average to good sound quality. Maybe I can do a little more research on the phones that are at my budget to see if I can get a better than average audio producing smartphone.
Also does any Xiaomi phone deliver good audio? The note 7 and note 7 pro are the latest offerings here and they are < $250. Also does the Mi A1 deliver good sound, read that off of a local site here, just wondering.

Considering I am willing to step down on the demand of top notch audio, any pointers would be more than welcome!

Apr 29, 2019 at 3:20 AM Post #2,377 of 5,166
Do you have vivo brand in india?

Apr 29, 2019 at 3:26 AM Post #2,378 of 5,166
I'm very happy with Redmi Note 5. The SQ is good and/or you can always buy Radsone ES100 for about 100$ and forget about smartphone SQ (I like more warmer signature from Note 5 but both are very capable).

Apr 29, 2019 at 3:54 AM Post #2,379 of 5,166
@artpiggo
Yes we do.
95, Y83 Pro, Y91i, Y93, Y95, Y91 - all seem to fall within budget
There are more like V9Pro - any specific model you want me to look for?
The Nex is almost $600 :frowning2:

@Broquen
Redmi note 5 - there are newer models. Would you know their capabilities? Like note 7, note 7 pro, same for note 6 too.

Apr 29, 2019 at 4:10 AM Post #2,380 of 5,166
@artpiggo
Yes we do.

@Broquen
Redmi note 5 - there are newer models. Would you know their capabilities? Like note 7, note 7 pro, same for note 6 too.

Don't know about 7, but for less than 200 bugs Note 5 keeps working well (snapdragon 636, 64gb. + 4gb RAM + double SIM or SIM+SD). If you have the chance, try them all, but 5 sound (when amp is on through earphone settings) is much better than you can read in forums. If 7 has same audio hardware (didn't try it) it's for sure a good choice SQ wise.

Apr 29, 2019 at 4:27 AM Post #2,381 of 5,166
@artpiggo
Yes we do.

@Broquen

So no any vivo x series here?

If you want xiaomi, I believe xiaomi a1 is above average.as.well.

Apr 29, 2019 at 4:32 AM Post #2,382 of 5,166
So no any vivo x series here?

If you want xiaomi, I believe xiaomi a1 is above average.as.well.

Does A1 support LDAC? I think some weeks ago it didn't, but not sure at all.

Apr 29, 2019 at 4:45 AM Post #2,383 of 5,166
Does A1 support LDAC? I think some weeks ago it didn't, but not sure at all.

I didnt know that. Just test via 3.5 and i dont own this phone.

Apr 29, 2019 at 8:22 AM Post #2,385 of 5,166
@Broquen
Looks like your setup needs a powerful headphones, remember I am using a simple BT ear pods (JBL). So I am not sure if I can mimic your experience

@artpiggo
The X21 seems to be there but is $390 :frowning2:
Any specific X series you have in mind that I can search for?

Also can you help me understand what I should look for in the specs to determine audio quality? Is it only the presence of a DAC?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back