best smart phone for music (no apple)
Sep 5, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #3 of 59
What exactly do you mean "options wise"?

Sep 7, 2012 at 6:42 AM Post #4 of 59
Why are you making a double of the same thread?
http://www.head-fi.org/t/626164/best-smart-phone

Anyways, as for music, I only own one smartphone, and it's the Xperia X10. Can't say it has a great sound quality, but at least decent to my ears with my M50.

Sep 7, 2012 at 7:05 AM Post #5 of 59
The (international) SGS3 has decent sound and comes with the added benefit of supporting numerous USB DACs via OTG cable (I'm not aware of other smartphones with this kind of broad support for external DACs).  

Sep 8, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #8 of 59
You can use an amp to boost the volume.

Sep 9, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #9 of 59
I must say the Samsung Fascinate (That's the Verizon version of the Galaxy S*) with Voodoo and Rockbox. If you want something more recent, the Galaxy S III.

* All the variants of the Galaxy S (original) sound great when modded.

Sep 9, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #10 of 59
Straight out of the box the galaxy nexus sounds pretty good. I just got one and have been impressed so far. If you don't want to root your phone that may be the way to go.

The wife has a galaxy s1 unrooted and while the quality is OK the output level left something to be desired from me.

Sep 9, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #11 of 59
The Galaxy Nexus is VERY good, but its SQ can't come close to the Galaxy S with Voodoo IMO. (I have both and the Galaxy S has been my DAP since getting the Galaxy Nexus)

Sep 10, 2012 at 9:16 AM Post #12 of 59
A LG G2X is also sounding very good with voodoo sound.
Stock it's........, you know, it sounds like a cheap mp3-player, but if you don't mind rooting it, this phone with voodoo would be a good alternative to the Galaxy S, especially because it already has a dual-core cpu and a ips display AND is sounding brilliant for a smartphone!
And you can get it to run MIUIv4, the best Android custom rom (in my opinion)!

Sep 10, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #13 of 59
Voodoo sound really does tend to make whatever phone it's on sound amazing doesn't it?

Sep 10, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #14 of 59
Quote:
A LG G2X is also sounding very good with voodoo sound.
Stock it's........, you know, it sounds like a cheap mp3-player, but if you don't mind rooting it, this phone with voodoo would be a good alternative to the Galaxy S, especially because it already has a dual-core cpu and a ips display AND is sounding brilliant for a smartphone!
And you can get it to run MIUIv4, the best Android custom rom (in my opinion)!

The LG 2x sound quality isn't as good as the Galaxy S because the DAC implementation isn't as good and there is CPU noise even with Voodoo (source: Supercurio, the developer for Voodoo Sound), so if you're only looking for a music player, and not needing this to be your convergence device the good old S1 is the better option. If you're wanting more from the device the the 2x could be a good option, and can be had cheaply these days. If neither of these suit then I'd be looking toward an S3, decent SQ stock, improves with custom kernels, and of course you have the option of USB audio if you want to upgrade the SQ further.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back