best smart phone for music (no apple)
Apr 1, 2013 at 7:12 AM Post #47 of 59
I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 and it sounds pretty good for a phone. Much better than the crappy Samsung Galaxy S2 that I had before anyway. I only use my phone when I'm at school. At home, I just pull out my HDP-R10
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 1, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #48 of 59
I got a Nexus 4 when it first came out. Sold it on Ebay a day later. Was far worse than GS2. Have a look at the frequency response here:

http://supercurio.project-voodoo.org/perso/brian/Nexus%204.htm

It pretty much sums up what I heard.

I got a GSM S3 (I9300) after that, and it is heaven in comparison (w/Poweramp or Neutron). Only thing I have done to it so far is a simple root/hardware volume fix and am very happy.

Apr 14, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #51 of 59
Quote:
Anyone has experience with the sound quality of Samsung Galaxy Note 2?

I have the Note 2 and found that it sounds much better than the S2.

Apr 17, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #52 of 59
I've been using my Meizu MX as my primary DAP for a while now, and it's honestly a great little device. USB Audio Recorder PRO is supposed to allow me to use USB audio, but I haven't managed to get that working yet; my only DAC is the FiiO E17, which is not quite a normal DAC, so that might be the cause.

The Panvi MCTO dock looks like an awesome little addition, but is still a work in progress. With some polish, though, it'll be pretty much everything an Android phone user can want; USB OTG, lineout, coaxial out, and HDMI out of a powered device are pretty awesome promises.

Jan 16, 2014 at 8:46 AM Post #53 of 59
Anyone bought the Vivo xplay 3s yet? I am trying to source audio reviews on the built in DAC and the 11.1 surround sound built in sound processor chip....need to know whether to purchase or not.

Sep 10, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #54 of 59
nokia n8 nokia 808 or nokia n91 they all sound better than my voodoed sgs1.and my friends sgs3
I know this is an ancient post but oh yeah! The nokia 808 is truly outstanding. Have it for 5 years and it sounds better to me than any iphone, lumia or android device I've heard.

I've installed the Anna parameters patch with the high gain mod and I keep the system EQ(default player) at all bars max(this is the true flat position and opens the sound up a bit). I use QuasarMX to play FLAC(supports 24 bit 384 kHz files too). Simply awesome phone, the camera still rocks as does the audio out and recording. And videos with AC3 audio tracks sound phenomenal with the dolby function.

Sep 10, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #55 of 59
I tried side by side the n8 and the voodoo samsung i9000.

The samsung smashed the n8 to bits. It wasn't funny. It wasn't close. And I this was pretty consistent with whichever headphone I used, ranging from £10 ones to £1000 ones. There were a few that displayed very little change between both phones though.

I've tried around 12 other smartphones and the samsung has come out on top all the time. Actually, nowadays I can't be bothered to waste any more time testing out smartphones as I've found my staple.
I think you compared the voodoo S1 to N8 stock sound. With the Anna Parameters patch+high gain mod+system eq all bars maxed out, the nokia 808 turns into a solid audio beast. I;m sure the N8 does too. That's probably the reason you had such a different opinion to the other user here who preferred the n8. Old post I know, sorry couldn't resist. I really miss the old nokias.

Oct 2, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #56 of 59
808 still sounds better than every phone I've tried in the UK.ive tried them all including lg v20 and 30 I'm using my note 8 now and I love it.but I would still say 808 and n91amd even n97 mini sound better.but I've been using a note 4 for the last 3 years so got used to that sound and I'm happy to say the note 8 is just as good.so I finally was able to upgrade from my note 4.
For me the note 8 is the best sounding modern new phone using headphones.but it can't beat my old Nokia's close but not as sweetsounding

Last edited:
May 30, 2022 at 1:39 AM Post #57 of 59
808 still sounds better than every phone I've tried in the UK.ive tried them all including lg v20 and 30 I'm using my note 8 now and I love it.but I would still say 808 and n91amd even n97 mini sound better.but I've been using a note 4 for the last 3 years so got used to that sound and I'm happy to say the note 8 is just as good.so I finally was able to upgrade from my note 4.
For me the note 8 is the best sounding modern new phone using headphones.but it can't beat my old Nokia's close but not as sweetsounding
So Nokia 808 sounds better than the best of modern smartphones and shoots better photos than iphoney13 pro? Nois

May 30, 2022 at 2:00 AM Post #59 of 59
Some Xiaomi have speakers turned by Harman Kardon. If you want a phone for music get one with Tuned speakers
Yea, i use my phone speakers only to hear it ring :o2smile: I also heard some impressive $20 bluetooth speakers that would, i bet, humiliate the Harman tuned phone.
Should i add i wouldn't trust anything that has been touched by modern day Harman? Thanks for the info, anyways!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back