Best small and powerful amp? SQ doesn't matter
Jul 8, 2012 at 4:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

boxthorn

Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I am in the market for a small and the most powerful amp. I have tried the E7 so far and it is not loud enough as I am using a source that is very quiet. I've even tried hooking up the E3 and the E7 together and that doesn't cut it either.

It needs to be portable, or it could be a desktop amp it needs to be small enough to be conveniently stored/carried. This is for use in a church with a very minimal setup, and needs to be set up and broken down fast and that's why I would like it to be as small as possible. It needs to be durable also.

It is driving a generic radioshack headphone (which is actually quite pricey, at $23) and sound quality does not matter at all, as it's main use will be for spoken words only.

What would be the cheapest amp that would fit the above descriptions?

Jul 8, 2012 at 6:33 PM Post #2 of 9
Quote:
Hi everyone,

I am in the market for a small and the most powerful amp. I have tried the E7 so far and it is not loud enough as I am using a source that is very quiet. I've even tried hooking up the E3 and the E7 together and that doesn't cut it either.

It needs to be portable, or it could be a desktop amp it needs to be small enough to be conveniently stored/carried. This is for use in a church with a very minimal setup, and needs to be set up and broken down fast and that's why I would like it to be as small as possible. It needs to be durable also.

It is driving a generic radio shack headphone (which is actually quite pricey, at $23) and sound quality does not matter at all, as it's main use will be for spoken words only.

What would be the cheapest amp that would fit the above descriptions?

The Fiio E11 comes with a more powerful amplifier then the E7.

Jul 9, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #3 of 9
I don't think the E11 would cut it, I've tried several Cmoy amps also and they aren't quite loud enough either. I am using a line out from a source that is very weak.

Thank you.

Jul 9, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #6 of 9
Jul 10, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:
Is it that obvious?
wink.gif

Had to ask, you might have just happen to find the picture wondering around the Internet.
Have you heard if there is going to be anything new coming out....ever?

Jul 10, 2012 at 1:33 AM Post #8 of 9
Nothing but rumors.:rolleyes:

Jul 10, 2012 at 1:43 AM Post #9 of 9
If the output is so weak, you don't really need a powerful amp, do you?  You just need something with a lot of gain.

You could just swap a few resistors on one of the CMoys you tried to change the gain to something higher.  Actually, for a quick sanity check, you could have the source output a fullscale 60 Hz sine wave (you can make such a file easily in a program like Audacity or similar) and measure that with a multimeter, to see what we're talking about.

Or are the headphones really that inefficient?  You sure the jack on it is fine?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back