Best setup for $200?
Mar 6, 2013 at 8:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Sekka

100+ Head-Fier
Right now I am looking at the M50s with a FiiO E07K as an amp (maybe overkill on the amp).  I have looked at a lot of reviews, and I may have misinterpreted this, but there is not a HUGE difference in unamped quality in the $100-200 range, mostly coming down to personal preference.  For this reason, I have chosen the cheapest of the popular $100-200 headphones, so that I may buy a good amp alongside.

I have looked at the HFI series, the Shure 840s, DT series, Custom One Pros, etc.

I am looking for a pair of headphones that is mostly neutral, but with a bit of emphasis on the bass.  It should be detailed, good at isolation, foldable, comfortable (for a small head), somewhat fashionable, and have a reasonable soundstage.

Based on what I have seen, the DT series are regarded as the best headphones at sub-$200, other than used and refurbished (I would love to see a $200 pair of D2000s, for example).  However, they need sufficient amping to reach their potential (which puts me well over $200), and they aren't very portable.

Mar 6, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #2 of 14
Right now I am looking at the M50s with a FiiO E07K as an amp (maybe overkill on the amp).  I have looked at a lot of reviews, and I may have misinterpreted this, but there is not a HUGE difference in unamped quality in the $100-200 range, mostly coming down to personal preference.  For this reason, I have chosen the cheapest of the popular $100-200 headphones, so that I may buy a good amp alongside.

I have looked at the HFI series, the Shure 840s, DT series, Custom One Pros, etc.

I am looking for a pair of headphones that is mostly neutral, but with a bit of emphasis on the bass.  It should be detailed, good at isolation, foldable, comfortable (for a small head), somewhat fashionable, and have a reasonable soundstage.

Based on what I have seen, the DT series are regarded as the best headphones at sub-$200, other than used and refurbished (I would love to see a $200 pair of D2000s, for example).  However, they need sufficient amping to reach their potential (which puts me well over $200), and they aren't very portable.
HiFiMAN RE-400 (ignore that bad review) and the C&C BH amp. This ticks all the checkboxes you have, plus its portable. You can't beat IEMs price/performance wise in this price range. Enjoy!

Mar 6, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #3 of 14
I just checked out the HDJ-2000-K, and it seems to be just what I am looking for. Does anyone have experience with these (unamped)? How do they compare to the 770s and M50s? Also, would they be comfortable for someone with a small head? I can't find anything about the size.

Mar 6, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #5 of 14
Mar 6, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #7 of 14
What about mids, treble, soundstage, clarity?
you can go to your local best buy and check them out :) anyway, its a warm can, very good mids, vocals are upfront and treble can be a bit recessed, clarity is average. The 770s have above average clarity and are quite musical and built like a tank

Mar 6, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:
you can go to your local best buy and check them out
smily_headphones1.gif
anyway, its a warm can, very good mids, vocals are upfront and treble can be a bit recessed, clarity is average. The 770s have above average clarity and are quite musical and built like a tank

As a 770 can't be sufficiently amped for $200, I can't really go for that.  Are Custom-One Pros comparable to the 770s?  I could just buy a nice headphone-case and go with them.  Any major sound-leaking?

Speaking of headphone cases, any recommendations?  Small is preferable, of course:p

Mar 6, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #9 of 14
As a 770 can't be sufficiently amped for $200, I can't really go for that.  Are Custom-One Pros comparable to the 770s?  I could just buy a nice headphone-case and go with them.  Any major sound-leaking?

Speaking of headphone cases, any recommendations?  Small is preferable, of course:p
I havent tried the custom ones, but i know theres a healthy thread about them. As for a headphone case, hopefully theres one included, if not, i would use sort sort of camera case to store along with the rest of your electronic goodies.

Mar 6, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #11 of 14
Can anyone vouch for the SoundMAGIC HP100s?  Based on reviews, these are the best headphones I have currently discovered (IMO).

is there a healthy amount of reviews?

Mar 7, 2013 at 12:10 AM Post #13 of 14
5 on amazon, 2 here, and a lot more scattered throughout random review sites.  Pretty much all are raving reviews.  It is a relatively new headphone, apparently.
Sounds like a case of the "flavor of the month" to me, but they could indeed be very good, initial impressions tend to be more glowing though.

Mar 7, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #14 of 14
To be honest, 7 reviews is not really a lot but you can go for them and let us know how it goes
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back