Best Set for Judging EDM Tracks? DT 880 vs 990 vs Others? Echo Audiofire 4 as a DAC/AMP?
Dec 26, 2016 at 2:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Zendro

New Head-Fier

Hello everyone! 

So despite many hours of lurking for my next pair of headphones, and coming close to a decision, I have succumbed to just asking the fine community here.  I like to think that my situation is unique enough to warrant it, and thus this thread may hopefully provide value to those researching in the future.

First, as this is my first post, here is an introduction about me.  I was a music lover since I could remember, listening to a variety of genres, including rock, metal, indie, all types of electronic music, rap, hip/hop, ambient, etc.  Just to be clear on "real diversity."  From this stemmed a passion for music in general, and a natural progression to becoming a DJ/Producer, as that was the medium accessible to me.  And so while I still love to listen to all types of music, there is no doubt that my total listening time is falling more and more into the EDM genre, as I consider it basically to be one of my jobs at this point.

So on to the headphones question.  I was looking for a balanced, best bang for your buck headphone for the EDM/Electronic genre, that can help me accurately judge tracks while still allowing me to enjoy the tracks to (hopefully) their fullest extent.  Unfortunately, this may be an oxymoron to try to get both an "accurate" headphone while also getting lots of "fun" out of my favorite tracks.

And thus why I'm currently torn between the Beyer DT 880 & 990 (the 250 ohm sets currently).

The DT 880 appears to satisfy my need for an accurate pair of headphones so I can quickly judge tracks fairly, while still enjoying the producer's intended recording.

The DT 990 appears to have a sound signature catered to the EDM genre, with impressive low end bass, and full highs (possibly too much).  Sounds like edm tracks would come through splendidly on them.

It's tough, because while I don't necessarily consider myself a basshead, it would be unfair to say I'm not a big fan of full deep bass, as if I wasn't, I doubt I would have really gotten into this genre and Djing as much as I have.  So on the 990 side, I'm loving the compliments on the bass, but I do worry about the highs.  I'm relatively young and I think I've taken care of my ears pretty well, and so I feel I may be pretty sensitive to the highs, as I have already chosen to trim the highs on my monitors because I felt them to be fatiguing.   But on the bass side, edm goes low, especially when talking about the trap genre (sub-bass prominent), and so I think the 990 wins on this note.

At the same time, on the 880 side, I am all about accuracy and details, as that would help me do my job better from mixing/mastering/producing.  But to be fair, all that has taken a back seat for the foreseeable future.  With that said though, for the next year or two atleast, I will be basically be judging, collecting, and organizing music on steroids (as my #1 priority is a channel I run with vast selection and diverse in genres (from the softest downtempo to the heaviest trap/dubstep).  I spend many hours sifting through soundcloud each week, and I often only have seconds to decide if the track is worth adding to my arsenal for future inspection and use, and so I feel like that task requires the same type of accurate headphones as mixing/mastering/producing would.  

This is where I think the 880 may be the better choice, as I think most 990 users are looking more at the enjoyment/Dj side, not the "let's judge this track fairly" side.  But again, I think in some sense, I am a basshead and I worry about the lack of it mentioned on the 880.  Bass in EDM can make or break a track (when judging it), and sub bass extension is important when a prominent genre I work with is trap.  I imagine this "low bass" concern is somewhat overstated though, and probably just in comparison to the 990 (but correct me if I'm wrong of course).

Do you see my dilemma?  I read someone say that you can get the best of both world putting felt on the DT-990 to have it become a better version of 880,  as ultimately they are same headphones, just different physical make up (Open vs Semi-Open).  And on that note, I have no limitations on open vs closed, as it will be mainly for home use.  I like the idea of the better soundstage found on open headphones, and would love to try it, but not at the sacrifice of quality bass. 

History: The only "hi-fi" headphones I've owned have been the ATH-M50 (x2), and they have served me well.  I agree that they are a great entry level headphone  and have no regrets, but also feel I've outgrown them, and need a more professional use out of my new cans that is more refined and "mature" if you will.

Budget: $200-300 for the headphones.  And possibly higher if I can confirm that the Audiofire 4 is a quality DAC/Amp, and I won't need to get anything separately.   I guess you could say the whole package needs to be at under $500, though that is definitely on the high end. 

Italic text as follows is optional: 
The use of the Echo Audiofire 4 as a DAC/AMP is an entirely separate question that could probably serve as it's own thread, but help on this point is definitely appreciated.  I already began to look at portable DACs to pair with my new headphones, but then realized that I may be doing the unnecessary, as I think I may have already have these so called "headphone powering devices" technically in the form of professional home setup audio cards (DACs).  For example, I own  the Echo audiofire 4 to power my monitors, but also own a Vestax VCI-380 DJ mixer, and more importantly own a Allen & Heath DB4 mixer, which I imagine could power headphones well.  In that way, I'm not sure if I'm already good to go considering I have this DJ gear that could serve the dual purpose of powering my new headphones as well (I think…)

In conclusion, I'm looking for the best reasonably priced headphones to serve the purposes I mentioned above.  I do apologize if this it too detailed, but I think the context of how I will be using these headphones will help you answer my question more easily and accurately. 

I'm also completely open to other brand/type headphones than the DT 880 vs 990.  It just what I tended to narrow down to.

Below is a list of other headphones I've considered, and that are still in the potential of choice.  Please feel free to vouch for any of these, or add to the list with your own recommendations.  This list is more meant to be food for thought.

AT-ESW9
Denon AH-D200
HiFiman HE-400
Ultrasone Pro 900
V-Moda Crossfade (unsure of model)
AKG - K240 MKII
AKG - Q 701
DT 770 (didn't mean to rule this out)

A huge huge thank you if you read this far.  I hope this can insight interesting discussion…. And hopefully help me choose my next set of cans to last me for the years to come : )

Cheers! 
beerchug.gif

Dec 26, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #2 of 27
Beyerdynamic T90, should be able to find a used one with in your budget.

Dec 26, 2016 at 8:52 PM Post #3 of 27
You have quite the dilemma on your hands. Unfortunately you already know the truth, and that is a good monitoring headphone will not make a good "fun" headphone. I think you either need to personally prioritize fun vs flat, or consider buying two pairs of headphones. 

Since we are on headfi, the easy suggestion from me is to buy both!! 

But seriously, a headphone that is great for picking apart tracks is not going to be the most fun to listen to. I own DT990 600ohm, and have listened to the ATH-M50X, and IMO the M50X had more bass than the DT990. So if you are thinking about purchasing the DT880, do so knowing it has significantly less bass than your M50's. 

Dec 26, 2016 at 9:00 PM Post #4 of 27
  You have quite the dilemma on your hands. Unfortunately you already know the truth, and that is a good monitoring headphone will not make a good "fun" headphone. I think you either need to personally prioritize fun vs flat, or consider buying two pairs of headphones. 

But seriously, a headphone that is great for picking apart tracks is not going to be the most fun to listen to. I own DT990 600ohm, and have listened to the ATH-M50X, and IMO the M50X had more bass than the DT990. So if you are thinking about purchasing the DT880, do so knowing it has significantly less bass than your M50's. 

+1

Dec 27, 2016 at 12:52 AM Post #5 of 27
  Beyerdynamic T90, should be able to find a used one with in your budget.

This comment might have singlehandedly changed my fate for the better.  I didn't think you being so blunt would end up being so impactful, but after reading nearly ever review here: http://www.head-fi.org/products/beyerdynamic-t90-premium-stereo-headphone  and researching elsewhere of course, I'm sold.  Primarily because it combines the pros/cons of the 880s/990s in an overall improved headphone, and still from the same company that I grew to admire.  Bravo sir.  I'll probably pull the trigger in the next few days, but I'll want to see if anything else comes to light in this thread.

On that note, any suggestions on AMPs?  I'm realizing now, that what I have are DACs (aka. my Audiofire4 & mixers), but still need a proper AMP, since the reviews indicate is almost essential to get that right with these headphones.  What do you use?

It appears that I couldn't go wrong with Beyer's in-house A20 amp: https://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-A20-Headphone-Amplifier-Silver/dp/B00ECUJHAS but it does appear a bit too steep on price.

One of the head fi reviews indicates that he has successful using the Magn amp: http://www.head-fi.org/products/beyerdynamic-t90-premium-stereo-headphone/reviews/11093 which I find promising since its only $100, assuming it's this one right here: https://schiit.com/products/magni-2  Do you approve? That said, I would rather spend a bit more and be sure I power these headphones correctly.

After considering what you said, and then re-reading what I originally posted, I think it became clear that your suggestion is actually the most obvious.  I think I just needed someone to say it.  The 880s and 990s are clearly so closely matched (for me), that I would probably best buy both.  With that settled, I think I fortunately found the better alternative, which is to just up my price range like I was buying both the 880 & 990, and instead just buy the T90. Please see response above to PurpleAngel.  Hopefully, you agree this is a suitable move.  Sure, my wallet is going to take a beating, but I think the years of listening pleasure it will hopefully add up to is worth it.

I think it's a reasonable assumption that a headphone can't be totally flat (neutral) and fun at the same time, but I think the T90 is in that rare sweet spot in between that 880 (flat) and 990 (fun) spectrum.  And I feel like i'm not being biased in that statement, as the reviews seem to indicate that.  So again, I think I'm in the right place.  Happy to hear your thoughts!

Dec 27, 2016 at 6:36 PM Post #6 of 27
Unfortunately I don't have any experience with the T90, but from what I've read it sounds like a great headphone. It should work for your preferences, and you are already on the right track with making sure you pair it with a quality amplifier. That combo should serve you well for many years going forward. 

Dec 27, 2016 at 7:05 PM Post #7 of 27
  This comment might have singlehandedly changed my fate for the better.  I didn't think you being so blunt would end up being so impactful, but after reading nearly ever review here: http://www.head-fi.org/products/beyerdynamic-t90-premium-stereo-headphone  and researching elsewhere of course, I'm sold.  Primarily because it combines the pros/cons of the 880s/990s in an overall improved headphone, and still from the same company that I grew to admire.  Bravo sir.  I'll probably pull the trigger in the next few days, but I'll want to see if anything else comes to light in this thread.
On that note, any suggestions on AMPs?  I'm realizing now, that what I have are DACs (aka. my Audiofire4 & mixers), but still need a proper AMP, since the reviews indicate is almost essential to get that right with these headphones.  What do you use?
It appears that I couldn't go wrong with Beyer's in-house A20 amp: https://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-A20-Headphone-Amplifier-Silver/dp/B00ECUJHAS but it does appear a bit too steep on price.
One of the head fi reviews indicates that he has successful using the Magn amp: http://www.head-fi.org/products/beyerdynamic-t90-premium-stereo-headphone/reviews/11093 which I find promising since its only $100, assuming it's this one right here: https://schiit.com/products/magni-2  Do you approve? That said, I would rather spend a bit more and be sure I power these headphones correctly.

A Schiit Magni or O2 (Objective 2) headphone amplifer can easily drive 250-Ohm beyerdynamic headphones
I use a Darkvoice 336SE tube amplifer ($240) to drive my T90, but I guess a solid state would serve you better.

Dec 30, 2016 at 8:38 PM Post #8 of 27
So the T90s came in today : )   

I got them for around $330 on Amazon!  A basically new pair that just happened to have it's box open, and so they couldn't sell it as new.  It was probably only used a few times.

So.... Right of the bat, holy ish, this things are bright!  I literally did not think headphones would be made in such a way to have a snare hit me so violently lol.  

Pretty bummerish, as I was hoping to get blown away out of the box, but damn, just a few songs get my ears to hurt.  

That said, I've read a lot about how it needs time to burn in, and how a proper amp would improve it as well.

I tried it out of my Audiofire 4 Soundcard, and for some reason, had some skips.  Not sure if it was a power issue.  But either way, I pulled out my allen and heath db4. (beast of a mixer & DAC if anyone is aware),  and so I think I'll use that for the time being.

That said, I'm pretty sure I can tell that even this is not enough to power this.  It's time to find an amp to bring out what I want.

Thanks for the recommendations Purple Angel, it definitely seems like the O2 and Magni are good default amps to go to with this.  I'm even considering the Asgard 2 from what I've read on here.  Clearly, my budget has become a bit more flexible, but it's just an investment in a long term setup.

Definitely considering those, but I have a feeling that a tube amp, may be better to harsh these trebles.  But then I hear about the how it's less analytical than a solid state, and perhaps too warm.  So then...

So in conclusion, I feel like I'm looking for a good solid state, but warm amp to accommodate the T90s, in the $100-$300 range (but again, this is flexible).

I like the idea of a tube amp, like the bottlehead crack, but ****, that's a whole nother road of reading and learning that I'd have to deal with.  Like people actually DIY this ish?  Blows my mind, definitely not in the zone for that quite yet haha.

Any help is much appreciated (aka. Purple Angel ; ) 

Thanks guys!

Dec 31, 2016 at 2:35 AM Post #9 of 27
Man... I'm listening to it more, and damn, a pretty rude awakening to real "hifi" world.  I had no idea that such a renowned headphones could have such a treble spike.  It straight causes my ears to hurt over a short period of time.

I imagine it's too early to tell.  Trying to break it in more with some pink noise, and trying to figure out and order the right amp to go with it ASAP. 

I'm realizing I need to be careful at this point, as there's a chance I may have to accept these cans are indeed to bright for me, and I should not fall in the trap of trying convince myself that I like it just because money was spent on it. 

Just talking through thoughts though... will keep updating...

Dec 31, 2016 at 9:55 AM Post #10 of 27
I've found "bright" is Beyerdynamic's signature sound. Most, if not all, of their headphones are very bright. My DT990's are the brightest pair of headphones I have ever heard. Not a big fan of listening to them at extreme volumes, as they can become tiring very quickly. But the "bright" signature" is great for low volume sessions. 

EQ can help tame the treble, as will a warm tube amplifier. 

Dec 31, 2016 at 9:53 PM Post #11 of 27
  Man... I'm listening to it more, and damn, a pretty rude awakening to real "hifi" world.  I had no idea that such a renowned headphones could have such a treble spike.  It straight causes my ears to hurt over a short period of time.
I imagine it's too early to tell.  Trying to break it in more with some pink noise, and trying to figure out and order the right amp to go with it ASAP. 
I'm realizing I need to be careful at this point, as there's a chance I may have to accept these cans are indeed to bright for me, and I should not fall in the trap of trying convince myself that I like it just because money was spent on it. 
Just talking through thoughts though... will keep updating...

Been out of town for a few days.

Check out the Bravo Ocean tube (hybrid) headphone amplifier.

Dec 31, 2016 at 10:00 PM Post #12 of 27
Too late since you already bought the headphones, but I would have recommended the dt1770 for your needs over the t90 any day. I don't know where the t90 popped up, but the dt1770 seems to match your description much better

Dec 31, 2016 at 11:02 PM Post #13 of 27
As a fellow *DIVERSE* EDM fan (personally I love remixes coming from all genres), I have to disagree with your original choices. If you want to stick with Beyerdynamic, my favorite of theirs is the T51 p/i. Ken Rockwell's review is a better description than I can do at the moment, read it here.

But there are cheaper and IMO better alternatives. The qualities I want most in a set of cans for EDM are a mostly flat frequency response with clarity and detail from the top to the bottom, deep bass extension, adequate bass quantity, and treble extension, in more or less that order. But you cannot skimp on the deep bass extension, too much EDM can be lost completely down there. So I'd recommend:

1) PSB M4U 1- The Wirecutter's pick for best headphone under $400 for several years in a row (before getting pushed into 2nd place by the Oppo PM3), this is what I reach for when I want to listen to my HD800 but need something closed or portable. It's got excellent resolution and dynamics, and is my reference for what "flat bass" should be. It will never invent bass where there shouldn't be any (like so many "basshead" cans), but when the track calls for it, it has a very satisfying punch with great low end detail. Can't speak highly enough about EDM on the PSB, well except for

2) Klipsch Status- I can't understand why this isn't 100x more popular than it is. I view it as the PSB's equal in sound quality and overall refinement. But it's different: Klipsch chose to sacrifice a small amount of clarity across the range in exchange for the best sounding bass boost I've heard (though I haven't listened to the Denon 2000 yet). These are the closest I've found to replicating the massive "wall of sound" feeling you get listening to a live DJ on a great soundsystem. You wouldn't ever notice the difference in clarity vs the M4U 1 if you didn’t A/B them back to back, which I have done many, many times. The Status and M4U 1 compliment each other beautifully, just pick the quantity of bass you want and you won't go wrong!

Bonus pick:
3a) Audio Technica IM03- if there was ever a consensus in the headphone world, it might be that these are amazing for EDM. I used to only look at dynamic driven IEMs before the Im03 came along. Amazing bass response, who knew BA drivers could do bass like this?

Sorry to cut the description short but I gotta run. One last idea if thr IM03 is out of your price range:

3b) Dunu Titan 1- IMO the best way to spend $100 in audio (besides buying music, that is). These sound like nothing else out there. That list of qualities to look for in a good EDM 'phone at the top of this post? I might have been describing the IM03 and Titan 1. The former has *more* detail and clarity, but the latter has a heck of a lot itself. I can't imagine any EDM fan not falling in love with either or both!

For the Titan I strongly recommend using only JVC Spiral Dot tips, they will get the best results for most ears. For the rest, Spinfit tips will probably do it.

I haven't found the perfect tips for the IM03 yet, I'm using anything I have to to get a good seal. I use medium size tips for everything, except these, on which I need a large for some reason.

Hope this was helpful despite being banged out in a hurry, maybe I'll come back to proofread/make edits after the weekend :) be sure to let us know what you decide!

EDIT: I'm not a big fan of using amps, esp since all my recommendations are easy to drive, and since the best amps don't even improve the sound, they just avoid hurting it. A DAC on the other hand can make a tremendous difference, your choice of DAC is only slightly less important than your choice of headphones. See my review of the Geek Out V2+ for starters. You might be hard pressed to beat the sound, but I sincerely hope you do, or that you at least know what you're getting in tpo: it was the best of times, it was the worst of times

Jan 1, 2017 at 3:21 AM Post #14 of 27
sorry the op isn't loving his T90's ... this thread is making me feel good about my choice to get the DT880's a few years ago..

I have really enjoyed my DT880's for the first years I owned them I was using my vintage kenwood receiver with them.. this sounded quite good .. coming from DT770's I still own and ATH M50's (also still own).    I just got the DV336SE for xmas (however..I elected to give it to myself early..so I have been using it for 3x weeks or so).. love.

I have listened to the DT990's for about 1 minute and took them off and never wanted to hear the trebble murder they present again..   I do quite like my DT880's w/ a warm~ish amp however.

Jan 2, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #15 of 27
Sooooo, I think I'm a bit better with everything.  I'm out of panic mode.  I do think "brain burn-in" is actually a thing, and the brights are bit more tolerable.  That said, I still have my work cut out for me, as these things are still too high and fatiguing, and am now looking at alternatives.  I'm very fortunate having ordered from Amazon, as I can get a full refund if I return it by Feb 1st.  Which is now even better, as I can compare it with other cans.  

Replies and updates below:

Quote:

Been out of town for a few days.

Check out the Bravo Ocean tube (hybrid) headphone amplifier.

Thank you for this recommendation.  I just ordered it on Amazon.  I definitely see it has got it's cheap design flaws, but for a temporary, and powerful amp, with easily changeable tubes, I think it's perfect for just being able to power some of the hi-fi headphones properly.  As I'm mainly trying to avoid judging any of these headphones unfairly by not powering them properly, since I'm now back to choosing between headphones.

Any recommendations on custom tubes?  I think the default should be fine to start, but some people are really tearing the stock tubes apart.  Something that retains clarity and detail, but still has some warmth to help with the Beyer highs, and perhaps make the headphones more balanced (which I think is why we discussed getting a hybrid amp to begin with).
  Too late since you already bought the headphones, but I would have recommended the dt1770 for your needs over the t90 any day. I don't know where the t90 popped up, but the dt1770 seems to match your description much better

Thank you for this, and fortunately the game isn't over yet, with me being able to return the T90s to Amazon.  I'm really quite close to pulling the trigger on the DT1770.  I've read up quite a bit on it, and I see your point is valid.  It appears to be a much better fit for my needs, and now I have the T90 as reference of what "bright" really means in a Beyer pair of headphones.  I think there's a chance even the DT 1770  is still too bright, but I think now that I'm adjusting, plus with a solid tube amp, and that it was generally made much more balanced than the T90, I think these would work really well.  Plus I'm salivating at the reviews about this can's low end..

Any additional thoughts?  I was also thinking about the DT1990, but it appears I'm just throwing away money at that point, since it's a new pair, and probably has minuscule benefits.

The current game plan, is to buy the DT 1770, and another pair closer to what DJ the Rocket is saying (probably PSB M4U 1), and then just return one of those and the T90.

As a fellow *DIVERSE* EDM fan (personally I love remixes coming from all genres), I have to disagree with your original choices. If you want to stick with Beyerdynamic, my favorite of theirs is the T51 p/i. Ken Rockwell's review is a better description than I can do at the moment, read it here.

But there are cheaper and IMO better alternatives. The qualities I want most in a set of cans for EDM are a mostly flat frequency response with clarity and detail from the top to the bottom, deep bass extension, adequate bass quantity, and treble extension, in more or less that order. But you cannot skimp on the deep bass extension, too much EDM can be lost completely down there. So I'd recommend:

1) PSB M4U 1- The Wirecutter's pick for best headphone under $400 for several years in a row (before getting pushed into 2nd place by the Oppo PM3), this is what I reach for when I want to listen to my HD800 but need something closed or portable. It's got excellent resolution and dynamics, and is my reference for what "flat bass" should be. It will never invent bass where there shouldn't be any (like so many "basshead" cans), but when the track calls for it, it has a very satisfying punch with great low end detail. Can't speak highly enough about EDM on the PSB, well except for

2) Klipsch Status- I can't understand why this isn't 100x more popular than it is. I view it as the PSB's equal in sound quality and overall refinement. But it's different: Klipsch chose to sacrifice a small amount of clarity across the range in exchange for the best sounding bass boost I've heard (though I haven't listened to the Denon 2000 yet). These are the closest I've found to replicating the massive "wall of sound" feeling you get listening to a live DJ on a great soundsystem. You wouldn't ever notice the difference in clarity vs the M4U 1 if you didn’t A/B them back to back, which I have done many, many times. The Status and M4U 1 compliment each other beautifully, just pick the quantity of bass you want and you won't go wrong!

Bonus pick:
3a) Audio Technica IM03- if there was ever a consensus in the headphone world, it might be that these are amazing for EDM. I used to only look at dynamic driven IEMs before the Im03 came along. Amazing bass response, who knew BA drivers could do bass like this?

Sorry to cut the description short but I gotta run. One last idea if thr IM03 is out of your price range:

3b) Dunu Titan 1- IMO the best way to spend $100 in audio (besides buying music, that is). These sound like nothing else out there. That list of qualities to look for in a good EDM 'phone at the top of this post? I might have been describing the IM03 and Titan 1. The former has *more* detail and clarity, but the latter has a heck of a lot itself. I can't imagine any EDM fan not falling in love with either or both!

For the Titan I strongly recommend using only JVC Spiral Dot tips, they will get the best results for most ears. For the rest, Spinfit tips will probably do it.

I haven't found the perfect tips for the IM03 yet, I'm using anything I have to to get a good seal. I use medium size tips for everything, except these, on which I need a large for some reason.

Hope this was helpful despite being banged out in a hurry, maybe I'll come back to proofread/make edits after the weekend
smily_headphones1.gif
be sure to let us know what you decide!

EDIT: I'm not a big fan of using amps, esp since all my recommendations are easy to drive, and since the best amps don't even improve the sound, they just avoid hurting it. A DAC on the other hand can make a tremendous difference, your choice of DAC is only slightly less important than your choice of headphones. See my review of the Geek Out V2+ for starters. You might be hard pressed to beat the sound, but I sincerely hope you do, or that you at least know what you're getting in tpo: it was the best of times, it was the worst of times

And finally, thank you for this solid write up.   I will definitely come back to this for future reference, but for now, the standout piece is the PSB M4U 1.  I read about it and it seems really solid.

Any thoughts on the new wirecutter winner? http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-400-over-ear-headphones/ They rave almost (ridiculously) highly about the Oppo Pm3s, so I'm curious if you tried them.  But regardless, for that "lower budget, get the job done, EDM" preference, I think i'll pull the trigger and just try the PSBs.

PS:  I busted out my A&H DB4 Mixer to use as a temporary DAC now for headphone testing.  It's easy for me to forget sometimes, as it's a DJ mixer first.  But I can almost assuredly say, that the soundcard in this mixer is no slouch, and probably top notch (but not ridiculously hi-fi, mind you), so I should be covered in the DAC area for now. Take a look if you like http://www.allen-heath.com/ahproducts/xonedb4/ I'm going to try to find out what quality is actually inside though, by contacting them perhaps, as I have yet to find a good answer online.

Great, so I've now dumped an absurd amount of hours into this site since beginning this new headphone journey lol, but I can't go back now.  I think I'm close.  Any other recommendations are appreciated in the mean time.  In the next couple days, I intend to buy the DT 1770 and PSB M4U 1 for testing.  So please get me feedback soon if possible.

Thanks guys!! I would be so lost otherwise haha. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back