Best Sennheiser for under $150?
Nov 22, 2002 at 8:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

JahJahBinks

Headphoneus Supremus
No Amp, closed

What's the best Sen for under $150?

I heard 280Pro is pretty good, sound quality + good isolation. I am just wondering if there is another Sen that's like that.

Btw, if you know another but from different brand, include it too.

Nov 22, 2002 at 9:40 PM Post #2 of 34
The best senn under $150 is the hd580. If you look on ebay or other internet sites they have been as low as $120 plus $6 shipping. Ebay had several under $100, near completion in the bidding process, when I checked this am.

Nov 22, 2002 at 9:53 PM Post #4 of 34
If he wants something w/o an amp, is the HD 580 a good choice? Probably won't sound good. And they're not closed.

JahJah, the Beyerdynamic DT 250-80, by many accounts, is an acceptable choice given your stated needs.

Nov 22, 2002 at 9:56 PM Post #5 of 34
The best closed senn <$150 would be the HD280, or maybe the HD 25 SP (supra-aural). I used to own the former, but haven't heard the latter. The Beyerdynamic DT250-80 is also good, but they can run > $150 depending on where you buy them. I've got the Beyer DT250-250, they're just like the DT250-80 (same housing) but have a different driver and require an amp. The Senn HD 280 isolate quite a bit better than the Beyers do, but the Beyers are more comfortable. I won't compare the sound between the two, as it's a moot point for you - you'd be interested in the DT250-80. A search will bring up PLENTY of comparisons between the two, as well as reviews and impressions of each phone individually.

Nov 23, 2002 at 8:08 AM Post #7 of 34
The 80 means the impedance is 80 ohms and the 250 is 250 ohms. A few folks here say the 250 ohm version sounds a bit better with a dedicated amp.

Nov 23, 2002 at 12:18 PM Post #8 of 34
Originally posted by JahJahBinks
I only see DT250 on Beyerdynamic website and epinions.com

Dr. Jan Meier sells them (http://www.meier-audio.com)

You can't find a better seller. Do a little research on this forum and you will see this is the general opinion.

Nov 24, 2002 at 1:39 AM Post #9 of 34
How does Sen580 sound w/o amp? I mean amp only applies a gain to the output voltage to increase the signal right? So 580 w/o means if I turn the volume setting to MAX, the sound will still be not loud? no sound at all? or distorted sound at some frequencies?

I never listen to anything at loud volume, in fact if my friends hand me over his headphones to try out the first thing I do is to turn the volume down.
wink.gif

Nov 24, 2002 at 2:37 AM Post #10 of 34
It's not really about volume, well it is but there's more to it. The HD580's require a fair amount of juice to drive. What happens when they don't get that juice is most noticable in the bass. It becomes thick and muddy and the strain can also lead to distortion again most noticable in the bass.

An external amp is usually required for a headphone with high impedances like the 580's. This is not just about giving them juice but also quality. A good quality amplifier will sound much better than the average headpone jack on a PCDP and most recievers.

The HD580's are one of Sennheisers top of the line headphones. Don't be decieved by the price they have the capability of being something special but they truly benefit from higher quality components. But, if your not willing to put the money into the rest of your system then you may not be that happy with them.

Nov 24, 2002 at 4:55 AM Post #11 of 34
Eagle_Driver

Quote:

Actually, the thick, muddy and distorted bass is caused in part by the relatively high output impedance of many headphone jacks on components. Remember, that Sennheiser HD 580 actually sounds best with an amplifier output impedance near zero ohms. And the distortion is caused by inadequate output voltage capability and/or poor internal current handling capability (the latter caused by a relatively low input impedance of an amp). Unfortunately, some of those expensive amps that many audiophiles seem to like the most also have relatively high output impedances.

Whatever! God, I was explaining in as simplistic terms as possible to someone who probably wouldn't understand all the jargon. The truth of the matter is the 580's require juice. The end result without an amp is thick, muddy, distorted bass.

Quote:

True. But did you also know that low-impedance headphones may also require a specialized amp, especially if they're inefficient? That's because PCDP op-amps used for the headphone-out often have extremely poor current-handling capability. Try connecting an earbud like the 16-ohm Sony MDR-EX70LP - and if you hear nasty clipping distortion even at extremely low volume levels (or loudness levels that are lower than even normal speech conversation) that only gets worse at higher volume (but which is alleviated by using high-impedance headphones), then the PCDP op-amp's current handling capability is likely very poor. Any amount of factors can cause this condition - but the most likely culprit is a crappy, relatively low, input impedance that (combined with the already high current drain that low-impedance headphones contribute to) causes the already wimpy internal power supply on a PCDP to be overstrained. As a result, the battery life will be much shorter than normal, the sound quality will be horrible, and the useful life of the PCDP may be significantly shortened.

Ummmm, was I talking about low impedance headphones? No, I was talking about the 580's which are high impedance. I am well aware of the benefits of headphone amps and personally don't need you to lecture me on them especially when it has no real relevance to what I was talking about.

Quote:

Well, DUH! Even though the HD 580 will sound much better than cheaper headphones even on relatively crappy equipment (well, equipment other than the headphone jack on a receiver/integrated amp), the sound will improve significantly if a dedicated headphone amp is used.

Do you have some particular problem with what I posted? I personally don't agree that the 580's will sound better than cheaper headphones on relatively crappy equipment or in this case without an amp. But that's an argument for another day. I was merely explaining to someone new to this that while the 580's may be considered a great headphone and are relatively cheap JahJahBinks may want to take into account the associated costs to get them to sound as good as they can.

Now it personally pisses me off when someone asks for advice on a closed can, no amp for under $150 and people suggest the HD580 which is open and for the most part requires an amp. It pisses me off even more when I try to post an explantion in terms that I think the person asking the question will understand and someone has to nit pick it. I was not posting it for you but for JahJahBinks who is an obvious newbie so I really don't think there was any need for you to try to make me look stupid with your sarcasm. I manage that well enough on my own.

Nov 24, 2002 at 6:08 AM Post #12 of 34
Please keep it cool people. Money is tight for me so I want to get the most out of 150 bucks. I asked about Sen580 simply because of it's attractive price. I never heard how music comes out of amp compare with w/o amp, so I wonder how much of a difference can it make? I understand that nothing ventured, nothing gained. But that's why we have this forum right? That's why we value people's reviews right? I would like to hear more valuable comments and suggestions.

Nov 24, 2002 at 6:48 AM Post #13 of 34
Sorry bout that JahJah,

I would personally recommend for your needs either the HD280's or the Beyer 250-80's.

I personally have the 280's and like them quite a bit. They are fairly neutral with a slight tendency to be bright and a bit bass shy. These are fairly minor though. A secondary consideration is they really do make you look like a dork so if that's something that might bother you you might want to consider something else.

I have not heard the Beyers but generally most people that have heard both prefer the Beyers. They cost significantly more though. I think most people tend to think of the 280's as a bit dry and analytical while the Beyers are more musical but less accurate so it really depends on personal preference.

Nov 24, 2002 at 11:44 AM Post #15 of 34
Hi JahJah

I own the DT250-80 ohm and it's a really nice headphone. It's black all over and it's quite low profile (cups are flat). It is very comfortable to me. Very cozy. The sound is also very nice and cozy, but dynamic and good for rock and such at the same time. It really shines with vocals because of its beautiful midrange.

I think you'd like it.
smily_headphones1.gif

BTW, i use the dt250 with my sonyd-ej925 pcdp. Very nice volume and overall sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back