Best security software
Jul 29, 2004 at 7:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Shulaw05

Head-Fier
I had a thread in here asking for help putting together my new computer...and i thank everyone who gave me their two cents. I ordered all the parts today.

The one thing i did not buy was any software security. I've been looking around these posts and any reviews i can find online to see what the consesus best software is...and i can't seem to find anything that everyone likes. Most people dislike Systemworks 2004, but say systemworks 2003 is acceptable. No one at all seems to like anything from mcafee. and nod32 has probably gotten the most good reviews...

So...what security software should i get for my new baby?

Jul 29, 2004 at 8:16 PM Post #2 of 19
Linux
wink.gif

Jul 29, 2004 at 9:19 PM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Claude
Linux
wink.gif

Heh. I agree.
icon10.gif

For Windows users though I'd recommend buying a hardware router/firewall. I'm not a big fan of software firewalls. Then pick up whatever antivirus suite you like.

Jul 29, 2004 at 9:59 PM Post #4 of 19
Security is a process. It's something you do, not something you have or can go buy. Having a lock on your front door and a light on your porch is not security. Remembering to lock the door and turn on the light before you go to bed is security. Having said that, it makes sense to have and use some security related software. What I personally use is:

AVG free edition from www.grisoft.com (anti-virus)

and Zone Alarm free edition from www.zonelabs.com (firewall)

There are probably better options out there, but they may cost you money. You'll probably also want to use AdAware (lavasoft.de) and Spybot (security.kolla.de) together - both are good at finding and removing spyware. And free
wink.gif

edit: was in a hurry and missed a few words the first time around

Jul 30, 2004 at 1:02 AM Post #5 of 19
I had a reply that was rather long-ish about my personal computer security methods but you can PM me if you want the short version.

It ain't easy or convenient.

I'd say go with Linux as fast as possible so you can wean yourself off Windows. I'm scoping out some pretty good Linux introduction books at Barnes & Noble where I work. I haven't decided which one to go with but I'm committed as hell to do it sooner rather than later. I just got to get a semi-consistent work schedule so I can plan time for ultra fast speed reading as I'm working full time++. Summer is very busy for bookstores.

Yeah. I'm convinced that one of the best security features of Linux is that it ain't Windows. IN other words, 90% of the hackers/crackers and professional security IT guys are worrying about Windows security which makes the very public profile of Linux much much smaller in scope...and less prone to the voluminous attacks too.

Linux is free. You can find a free Linux distribution OS. Sooner, rather than later, I'm getting rid of Windows. It's too much of a resource hog and security nightmare.

But, it ain't easy and something you should'nt just sit down, download, and install in a kind of wing it fashion.

Jul 30, 2004 at 2:33 PM Post #8 of 19
Outpost Pro Firewall & eVantek(somethin like that) AVK Antivirus.

Or go linux, which I plan to do after i get myself a comp.. which will happen after the cans...

Jul 30, 2004 at 3:56 PM Post #9 of 19
1. Use firewall
2. Update your Windows via Windows Update

Two equally important things to keep your computer pest-free.

I personally have found Kerio 2.1.5 software firewall adequate protection for my Win XP. Of course antivirus is nice to have but I think I've never had to use it. Well, maybe a scan or two in a year to know that I still don't have viruses. You won't actually get those if you don't open the e-mail attachments, download britney_nekked.exe from p2p networks or do some other stupid things.

Ad-Aware or Spybot are nice though you don't really need those either if you don't press yes to everything in the Internet, download some suspicious software or generally use IE.

Ps. newer Kerio firewalls are crappish so you might be better off with ZoneAlarm or some else if you can't find the 2.1.5.

Pps. if you decide to go Linux I'd recommend Fedora since it's very Windows-like (i.e. graphical) and generally easy to approach.

Ppps. still using IE? Change it! Now! I like Firefox most.

Jul 30, 2004 at 9:54 PM Post #12 of 19
screw linux.

i really like how secure linux is. i just wished more people have it. but the truth is, as far as os goes...it's much easier to conform and use microsoft.

i dont want to, but it makes things so much easier. i tried using linux for a few weeks. the software i was use to using weren't available. and i didn't feel like dealing with the quarks of learning the functions of alternative softwares. and it didn't have much compability with the games then. it was overall a pain in the .

so i went back and switched to windows. i wouldl definitely use linux had it had more software compability. but i dont think i use my computer enough to justify the switch. (now that i am no longer a cs major, and thankfully so).

Jul 30, 2004 at 9:57 PM Post #13 of 19
oh, didn't realized how unhelpful my original post was.

use zone alarm pro, panda virus scanner, and firefox.

if you stick with the regular zone alarm, all of this should cost you nothing. panda virus scanner pro can be found for free every now and then.

i dont think you need any more security than that, unless you are one of those paranoid people.

Jul 30, 2004 at 10:07 PM Post #14 of 19
I just ordered Bit-Defender, Immunix and IPCop from www.linuxcd.org under the "Security Enhanced" section. Now if I can merge the features from Bit-Defender and Immunix into IPCop I think I'd have a very secure computer. All three distros don't say what the GUI is, though. I doubt that it is GNOME. So I bought Fedora Core 2 also.

Jul 30, 2004 at 10:09 PM Post #15 of 19
h3nG,

WXP SP2 will be out next month. The security has been strengthened.

I didn't like Panda when I saw it in operation - it is too Norton like.

quke,

Tell me more about the latest Kerio. I think mine has been updated to 1.6. (4.0.16)

Shulaw05,

The best security on WXP is to create rstricted accounts to access the internet; do not use an account with admin privs. With W2K I was able to lock my internet restricted account down so that it could not see nor access any other part of the disk drive, not be able to use the run command, not be able to write to anything but the My Documents folder, etc. I still use W2K and WXP equally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back