Best sealed cans under $100?
Jul 10, 2005 at 4:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Illah

1000+ Head-Fier
I just got a DOPE new loft apartment, but it has a very open floorplan. The only doors in the whole place are the closets and bathrooms
wink.gif
This means if my fiance is watching TV and I'm on the computer it's going to be a problem. Especially when I play games
biggrin.gif

So I don't need super awesome sealed cans, though I most likely will be listening to music once in a while. Under $100 is a must, under $50 would be ideal. Circum-aural would be good so I can really seal out the other noises in the place.

And if you're curious, check out pics of my new place here:

http://www.seanmulholland.com/arc/07...-hill-loft.php

Thanks,

--Illah

Jul 10, 2005 at 6:07 AM Post #3 of 11
Maybe you'd also like to check / search for new hd215, Bangraman did a review not too long ago. Never tried any closed koss - judging from the open versions they might give good bang for the buck.

Edit: that's a nice and large space you have ! Me thinks you can get away with open cans there.
biggrin.gif

Jul 20, 2005 at 12:07 AM Post #6 of 11
Back from the dead...

So anyway, the A500's are nice but the A900's are on my to-do list. Apparently they're some of the best sealed cans you can get. Until then...what about the Senn HD201?

http://www.headphone.com/products/he...ser-hd-201.php

Headroom likes them and at $20 it'll do until I get the $200 for the A900's
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyone ever try these?

Thanks,

--Illah

Jul 20, 2005 at 12:20 AM Post #7 of 11
Search for a used MDR-CD series.... the higher end models.

I have the CD870 and just got the CD770. Both were ~$35-40 on ebay shipped. Smooth sounding, balanced spectrum. Not as forward as either my DT770 or MS2, and certainly lacks the sparkle and detail of the MS2, but heck at 1/8 the price I can forgive it. Like a big, closed can version of a KSC75 but a little more tight and refined sounding. Amp with a govibe and they sound very good for the $$$.

Someone else on the forum got a CD2000 for ~$50.

there are a lot of used deals out there if you search.

Garrett

Jul 20, 2005 at 9:07 AM Post #10 of 11
If you get the 201's as a tide-you-over can, it'll do OK, soundstage is better than my alessandro MS-1's when properly driven, and it does classical music pretty darn well. (i'm not a huge fan of classical). Rock music/involved music i default to the MS-1 of course (this is the majority of the music i listen to). The 201 isn't a bad phone, it thoroughly trounce other phones in the same price range, but isn't exactly the be-all end-all that people make it out to be, IMO. I'd go with the Koss KSC-75 if i could choose to spend that $20 all over again ;D

In fact, next time i see some KSC-75 in person, i'll probably pick it up :p

Jul 20, 2005 at 9:16 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by diredesire
If you get the 201's as a tide-you-over can, it'll do OK, soundstage is better than my alessandro MS-1's when properly driven, and it does classical music pretty darn well. (i'm not a huge fan of classical). Rock music/involved music i default to the MS-1 of course (this is the majority of the music i listen to). The 201 isn't a bad phone, it thoroughly trounce other phones in the same price range, but isn't exactly the be-all end-all that people make it out to be, IMO. I'd go with the Koss KSC-75 if i could choose to spend that $20 all over again ;D

In fact, next time i see some KSC-75 in person, i'll probably pick it up :p

Last time I checked, neither the MS-1 nor the KSC-75 were sealed cans
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back