Best Schiit Amp for HD 650?
Aug 16, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #46 of 67
  The Valhalla 2 and the Mjolnir have very similiar outputs into the HD 650. But, the Mojo has balanced outputs exclusively and the topology to provide them.  So the OP needs to keep in mind that the Mojo will only work with balanced cans.

Not any more.  The Mjolnir 2 has both balanced and unbalanced output for headphones now.

Oct 4, 2015 at 1:08 AM Post #47 of 67
Had the opportunity to listen to HD650 balanced and not.  With no price limit...need to go balanced. Mjolnir minimum.

HD650 sounds rich and open in a way that it doesn't with unbalanced input.

Jun 25, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #48 of 67
So would valhalla 2 be significantly better with hd650 over valhalla1? Also how would asgard 1 (my current amp) compare to asgard 2 with hd650? Maybe even asgard 2 vs valhalla 1? :thinking::nerd:

Nov 10, 2016 at 6:23 PM Post #50 of 67
I will also be buying a Vali 2 amp for my HD6xx cans. I would like to buy a Jotunheim, but it is $230 more (though it offers SE and Balanced output).  Anyone have any feedback that might push me towards the more expensive SS Schiit?  Of note might be the hidden costs of add'l tubes and/or tube rolling that would inevitably occur when puchasing the Vali 2.  :)

(Just reviewed the Schiit website and determined that most posters are discussing the Vahalla 2 not the Vali 2, so unclear if the Vali 2 will be sufficient.

In Single Ended mode @ 300 ohms
Valhalla - 800mW per channel
Vali 2 - 270mW per channel
Jotunheim - 350mW per channel  (also 900mW per channel, Balanced)

Nov 10, 2016 at 6:54 PM Post #51 of 67
I will also be buying a Vali 2 amp for my HD6xx cans. I would like to buy a Jotunheim, but it is $230 more (though it offers SE and Balanced output).  Anyone have any feedback that might push me towards the more expensive SS Schiit?  Of note might be the hidden costs of add'l tubes and/or tube rolling that would inevitably occur when puchasing the Vali 2.  :)

(Just reviewed the Schiit website and determined that most posters are discussing the Vahalla 2 not the Vali 2, so unclear if the Vali 2 will be sufficient.

In Single Ended mode @ 300 ohms
Valhalla - 800mW per channel
Vali 2 - 270mW per channel
Jotunheim - 350mW per channel  (also 900mW per channel, Balanced)

I never tried vali 2. But valhalla is a pretty good amp for hd650 and I am pretty sure its gonna be great for hd6xx. Getting hd6xx is a pain in the ass but I am glad that I made it through though.

Nov 10, 2016 at 7:19 PM Post #52 of 67

I have a a pair of HiFiMan HE-560s and I find the Asgard 2 to be a perfect match (in fact, it's a perfect match for the HE-1000, but that's another story). The Shiit amp's class A output can swing 70 volts (according to Jason Stoddard) and I can assure that's more than enough headroom for just about any headphone on the market. Of course the signal, itself, never swings anywhere near that much, but by using so little of it's available headroom to actually power the phones, the amp stays in the most ultra-linear portion of its curve. Be aware that the amp gets quite warm, but don't be alarmed, it's normal. Hope this helps

Nov 14, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #53 of 67
The Valhalla 2 is considered by many to be an exceptional match for the HD650. Depending on your existing setup, however, the Jotunheim might offer some functionality you would be able to make use of.

I'd say it's between those two, toss up of personal preference.

Nov 17, 2016 at 11:59 AM Post #54 of 67
Are tube amps still the best, or rather generally more preferred choice of amp, for the HD650? Or does the Jotunheim (using balanced output) challenge that statement?

Nov 17, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #55 of 67
I've owned the 650's for quite a while & during this time I've owned numerous amps both ss and tube. It comes to to synergy. The 650's just pair better with otl amps. The Valhalla 2 is a great match. The amp is a bit lean but matches well with the warm 650. You can roll tubes to add a bit of warmth if you prefer. The 650's scale significantly when you upgrade your chain with better gear. Really amazing how well these 300 dollar phones perform with totl gear. Figure out your budget and. Do some research. If your going otl there's plenty other options besides schiit. Bottlehead crack is a favorite here but it diy. Feliks elise is another amp that has a been noted as a solid performer with the 650's. Dac's also play a huge roll in the chain. But that another topic. When you have the right components together, the 650's are sublime

Nov 17, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #56 of 67
One isn't necessarily better than the other, they're different beasts. Which one will be better for you depends largely on your personal preferences. If you've found you enjoy the distortions introduced by tubes, OTL tube amps are known to work well with the HD6x0's. If you want something straightforward and as accurate as possible, the Jot might be for you.

Nobody can make the choice for you.

Edit 1: Unless of course you ask them to, in which case just say "tell me what to buy".

Nov 17, 2016 at 12:43 PM Post #57 of 67
They have otl amps that are just as accurate & resolving as solid state amps. Unfortunately they come with a hefty price tag.

Nov 19, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #58 of 67
I'm basically in a similar position as the original poster - i.e. an HD 650 owner interested in the Schiit line, primarily due to what I've read.

I'm curious whether anyone in here as listening experience with the AK100 ii. That's my setup. I'm interested in branching out to a desktop setup, but I only want to do so if I'm going to notice a significant improvement (i.e. I don't want to purchase anything that's only a lateral move, or a relatively trivial upgrade). Any thoughts on how high up the Schiit cost ladder I'd need to climb to make a purchase worthwhile?

I posted a similar message in the AK thread to target AK owners, but this thread also seemed so close to what I'm trying to determine. Apologies if cross-posting is bad form.

Dec 16, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #59 of 67
Can someone with experience in both, tell me the differences between the Asgard 2 and Valhalla 2 regarding frequency with stock tubes paired with the HD650? For instance, would the mids become softer and highs Brighter? How much hotter is the Valhalla 2 than the Asgard 2? (Roughly twice as hot?)

Dec 26, 2016 at 10:13 PM Post #60 of 67
Can someone with experience in both tell me what differences are between the Asgard 2 and Valhalla 2 regarding frequency with stock tubes and the HD650?

Example: Would the mids become softer and highs Brighter?

Also how much hotter is the Valhalla 2 than the Asgard 2? (Roughly twice as hot?)

For anyone reading, I'll try to answer my own questions.  The frequency between the two amps has not changed.  The Valhalla 2, first tube amp I've tried, is colored so the music sounds slightly different.  It is more pleasing to me through the preamp to my desktop speakers (not audiophile).  I do prefer the sound of the Asgard 2 through my headphones.  Some of the subtle sounds aren't as easily noticed through the Valhalla 2, I'm assuming this is due to the coloration.  Heat wise they seem identical  but the tubes are extremely hot!  I would not touch them while on, but the overall heat seems to be the same.  This is of course just my opinion and if anyone wants to add or correct the above information, please do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back