Best Schiit Amp for HD 650?
Sep 8, 2014 at 8:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 67

jfdelacruz

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys,

Long time reader, rarely a poster. I've been reading around for the past few weeks trying to decide which Schiit amp to order for my stock HD 650 (currently using an E7/E9 combo) and the more I read, the more confused I became so here I am posting and asking for help.

Anyway, my planned setup would be something like this MacBook -> USB/Optical -> Bifrost -> Asgard2/Valhalla2/Lyr2 -> HD650. Unfortunately I still cannot decide which is best for my HD650, please help me out. I'll likely never buy another headphone again unless the HD650 breaks or I suddenly get rich enough to buy new ones (in which case I wont have this problem to ask).

What my issue is, I want to get the best possible Schiit combo for my setup (aiming for the "show and go"). I don't mind spending upto the Lyr 2 but I have to get this right as I'm shipping this all the way to the Philippines and shipping it back won't be an option if I somehow don't like the product (unless there's defect on arrival of course).

With that said, looking forward to your suggestions guys!

Sep 10, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #2 of 67
Seriously, no one? Help a head-fier out. Just want to get the best match Schiit amp for my HD-650. I'm sure this thread will help others in the future who are in the same boat...

Sep 11, 2014 at 10:46 PM Post #3 of 67
  Seriously, no one? Help a head-fier out. Just want to get the best match Schiit amp for my HD-650. I'm sure this thread will help others in the future who are in the same boat...

If you're stuck on Schiit only and have no problems with tubes (possible lemons, replace them, heat and so on), I would go Valhalla.

Sep 11, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #4 of 67
I enjoyed my Lyr + Bifrost combo with the HD650 a lot (upgraded from E7/E9 as well).  The sound signatures just worked well together.  

The Lyr 2 and Uber Bifrost would be even better.  It'd be a more versatile option than the Valhalla if you were to get different or additional headphones in the future.

Oct 4, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #5 of 67
If you can get additional tubes I would go with the Lyr 2. I have the HD600 Senns and they work very well with this amp.

Oct 4, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #6 of 67
I'm running my HD650s from the Bifrost Uber and TEAC HA-501. It's a wonderful pairing. 

Oct 4, 2014 at 11:19 PM Post #7 of 67
well the best, schiit amp no taking price into consideration is going to be the New Ragnarock, 

now that aside, what is your price range as $1600 is most like a little more than your looking to spend, that and factor in the cost of balanceing your HD 650 to get the most out of the Rag and you might be into like an extra $150 or so

Oct 5, 2014 at 12:25 AM Post #8 of 67
  well the best, schiit amp no taking price into consideration is going to be the New Ragnarock, 

now that aside, what is your price range as $1600 is most like a little more than your looking to spend, that and factor in the cost of balanceing your HD 650 to get the most out of the Rag and you might be into like an extra $150 or so

What my issue is, I want to get the best possible Schiit combo for my setup (aiming for the "show and go"). I don't mind spending upto the Lyr 2 but I have to get this right as I'm shipping this all the way to the Philippines and shipping it back won't be an option if I somehow don't like the product (unless there's defect on arrival of course).

Oct 5, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #9 of 67
Oops.

Oct 5, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #10 of 67
To repeat a broken record. You simply cannot go wrong with any of Asgard 2 or Valhalla or Lyr 2! If you want a more tubey sound go for the latter 2. The Valhalla also has slightly more power for 300 0hms..so perhaps consider that if and only if you will stay with the 650 for a long while. The Asgard is more flexible in driving fantastically well other phones upto and including the LCDs and HiFiman ortho's apart from that bleedin HE-6 thang.

For you, the best option - considering these points is...Lyr 2 for future proofing. IMHO of course mate! I drive both my 650 and LCD 2.2 prefazor with the stunning solid state Asgard 2 as that is the sound siggy I prefer.

Oct 6, 2014 at 1:46 AM Post #11 of 67
Magandang araw sayo jfdelacruz. (Good day in Philippines) Nice that you're looking into a new amp. I have Senn HD600 and using Fiio E9 too. May I suggest that you go for a tube amp for something different. Based on my reading Valhalla are solely for HD6xx only and Lyr is for a variety of headphones. Please tell me too where did you purchase your amp. Salamat po. (Thank you.)

Oct 6, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #12 of 67
I am thoroughly  enjoying my Valhalla + hd650 combo; no plans to upgrade anytime in the near future.  I'll probably upgrade my Modi to a Bifrost eventually to even out the stack; but more for flexibility than as a performance qualm.  

Oct 10, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #13 of 67
The Valhalla 2 would be my fist choice - it's a fantastic match with the 6x Senns (quite good with the HD800 as well).  The higher output impedance matches well (it's an OTL), and I'd take it over the Lyr2 for the HD650 for that reason alone. The Valhalla 2 is not a mushy/gooey sounding tube amp. It's quite resolving and neutral. Good Schiit. 

Oct 12, 2014 at 7:03 AM Post #14 of 67
I have a Schiit Valhalla driving my HD650 and am extremely happy with this combo. I listen to mostly jazz, classical, and classic rock.

Oct 12, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #15 of 67
I recently heard the HD-650 paired with the Asgard 2 at the Rocky Mountain Audio show yesterday. I sounded extremely good. I also just purchased the Asgard 2 a couple of weeks ago. It is a fine amp that can accommodate many other headphones in the future. I also heard the 650 with the Schiit tube amps mentioned above it was alos very sweet. You have a very hard choice ahead of you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back