Best Sarah McLachlan cd?
Jul 8, 2007 at 7:32 PM Post #2 of 27
Her Christmas album...

Jul 8, 2007 at 7:38 PM Post #3 of 27
Her album with the most similar style is "Surfacing" (where that song comes from), but her best album in terms of complexity, good lyrics, and just general musicianship is "Fumbling Towards Ecstasy." After that she began a decline from uniqueness to more "conventionalness." But both albums are excellent and worth getting.

Jul 8, 2007 at 7:47 PM Post #4 of 27
Thanks, maybe I will buy both but will pick up the "Fumbling Towards Ecstasy" album first. I'm not a big fan of Christmas music though. Does she really have a Christmas album or was that sarcasm?

Jul 8, 2007 at 7:59 PM Post #5 of 27
I'd agree that Fumbling Towards Ecstacy is her strongest album... There's not a weak track on there. And while I know live albums aren't often recommended for various reasons, the recently released 2-Disc complete Mirrorball is a pretty amazing album. It has my favorite track "Witness," from Surfacing, and it has Camille Henderson singing backup, which immediately makes most of the live versions preferable to studio work to my ears.

Jul 9, 2007 at 1:38 AM Post #8 of 27
I looked up her discography and see she does have a Christmas album. I have a friend that loves Christmas music so may buy it for him next Christmas. I see she has quite an extensive discography. Will buy Fumbling soon, thanks.

Jul 9, 2007 at 2:56 AM Post #12 of 27
Yeah, "Fumbling..." is definitely her strongest. No contest.

"Surfacing" is almost there, but not quite. Her earlier works, "Solace" and "Touch" are good too, but not quite as...personal, I would say.

"Afterglow" is like Surfacing-lite. It's ok, but not the stellar follow-up album fans had waited for.

Jul 9, 2007 at 9:46 PM Post #13 of 27
Well, they didn't have "Fumbling..." at the store so got "Mirrorball" instead. Only thing problem is that it isn't a double cd set as mentioned above. It has only one cd. Sounds like a decdent live recording except for the kids screaming in the background now and agian. I expect a more laid back audience. I see it has the songs "Fumbling..." and "Angel" but not "Witness"

Jul 9, 2007 at 9:56 PM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only problem with fumbling towards ecstacy is its synthetic sound quality

Agreed. I have one of her LPs and it's definately mid to low fi.

Jul 10, 2007 at 5:28 AM Post #15 of 27
I've followed Sarah since the release of 'Touch'. All Sarah albums IMHO are 'good' production, but never 'great' (i.e. exceptional). Don't get me wrong, they are all very listenable (o.k., maybe not 'Solace') but they are 'above average', not at the higher 'audiophile' levels of production I think Sarah herself would be expecting (but then again there are compromises even for her with a mainstream record company). The remastered double 'Mirrorball' is a step above the original single CD release. Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatticus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, they didn't have "Fumbling..." at the store so got "Mirrorball" instead. Only thing problem is that it isn't a double cd set as mentioned above. It has only one cd. Sounds like a decdent live recording except for the kids screaming in the background now and agian. I expect a more laid back audience. I see it has the songs "Fumbling..." and "Angel" but not "Witness"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back