Best rugged IEM's under $150?
May 5, 2012 at 3:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

ToastMan

New Head-Fier
SO, I realize there are literally around 50 of these threads and they've given me a great idea of what to get but I still need help deciding.
Here's a little background info: I listen to mostly Rock, heavy metal, and some House/electronic. I know that's quite a wide range for a tight budget but I'm also willing to buy used. I haven't really done as much listening to the IEM's I've been researching but I've heard a lot of good things about the IEM's on my short list.
So far I've narrowed it down to:
the Shure 215's
Westone UM1
and the TF10's
I'm basically just looking for a nice rugged pair of headphones that will last a good 2-5 years. Replace-able cords are really preferred.The last pair of IEM's I had were the Klipsch S4's, and the headphone jack ended up getting bent when I dropped my phone one time, and now all I get is static. I really liked the S4's, and I don't really think I need the best-of-the-best at this point. I'm willing to go lower end as long as they just sound better than the S4's, which in my opinion were fairly dynamic for their cheap pricetag. Please help me find the right IEM's for me!

May 5, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #2 of 42
I think you should research the Audeo Phonak PFE 012 earphones. I'm not an expert, but from my research I've been thinking of getting them. They come with green filters which adds bass to the earphones, so I guess they should be suitable for rock. 

May 5, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #3 of 42
I'm a total noob here, but...

I've got Shure SE215 now, and came from Klipsch S4. Major step up in my book. SQ is better across all ranges, much more comfortable. There are a ton of other great IEMs in that price range, though fewer with removable cables. I don't think you'd be disappointed at all with SE215, thigh

May 5, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #4 of 42
Search threads on the TF10's. I recall seeing posts regarding then being hard to fit.

May 5, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #5 of 42
Quote:
Search threads on the TF10's. I recall seeing posts regarding then being hard to fit.

Yes the fit of the TF10 can be a problem, however if they fit they certainly meet your requirements. 

May 6, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #8 of 42
Quote:
The HF5 does not have replaceable cables but they have an excellent warranty and customer service. They will last a long time!

My friend bought one in the fall, then, in the last 2 months, broke it, got it replaced, then broke the replacement. And they were a replacement for the Etymotic MC5 which he also broke.

So, I would have questions about Etymotic durability, especially if you plan to put them through abuse.

That being said, the Klipsch Image S5 is the more durable, "heavy-duty" version of the Image S4. So if you liked how the S4 sounded, just get that.

May 6, 2012 at 2:13 AM Post #9 of 42
Quote:
Quote:

Yes the fit of the TF10 can be a problem, however if they fit they certainly meet your requirements. 

[size=9pt]Sony Tips completely resolves TF10 fit issues   [/size]

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-EPEX10A-BLK-Replacement-Earbuds/dp/B001RB24UA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336284483&sr=8-1

[size=9pt]ToastMan, before you go somewhere else, you need to try The Monoprice 8320 $7.11[/size]
[size=9pt]The soundstage and imaging is big part in these IEM, you may feel big bucks for IEM is pointless[/size]

[size=9pt]This thread inspired me to try it http://www.head-fi.org/t/580769/the-monoprice-8320-mep-933-the-7-11-club[/size]
[size=9pt]Reviews http://www.head-fi.org/products/monoprice-8320-iem/reviews[/size]

May 6, 2012 at 2:31 AM Post #10 of 42
I own TF10 however since purchasing Yamaha EPH-100 my TF10 gather dust. With all respect to UE-TF10 they are great ultimately four years ago. With today's dynamic drivers products such as GRO7, Yamaha EPH-100 put TF10 to shame, especially at retail price. Sure....you have the changeable cable, remember though you will be sticking to this sound for what the OP says 4 -5 years, best pick something you want to stick with. TF10 have a sound either you love or you hate, also lets not forget that lovely fitting issue they are renowned for. Unless you can trial pair I would go with something like the EPH-100.

May 6, 2012 at 2:56 AM Post #11 of 42
Quote:
I own TF10 however since purchasing Yamaha EPH-100 my TF10 gather dust. With all respect to UE-TF10 they are great ultimately four years ago. With today's dynamic drivers products such as GRO7, Yamaha EPH-100 put TF10 to shame, especially at retail price. Sure....you have the changeable cable, remember though you will be sticking to this sound for what the OP says 4 -5 years, best pick something you want to stick with. TF10 have a sound either you love or you hate, also lets not forget that lovely fitting issue they are renowned for. Unless you can trial pair I would go with something like the EPH-100.

I beg to differ as the TF10 has a v-shaped response, which is generally the safer choice for someone who does not have much experience with IEMs. The TF10's street price is also no where near the retail price, currently sitting at about the same range as the GR07. For rock, metal and such, I definitely think the TF10 is more suitable, but YMMV 

Quote:
[size=9pt]Sony Tips completely resolves TF10 fit issues [/size]

They can't solve anything if the housing itself is too big to fit in the ears. 

May 6, 2012 at 3:23 AM Post #12 of 42
Quote:
I beg to differ as the TF10 has a v-shaped response, which is generally the safer choice for someone who does not have much experience with IEMs. The TF10's street price is also no where near the retail price, currently sitting at about the same range as the GR07. For rock, metal and such, I definitely think the TF10 is more suitable, but YMMV 

They can't solve anything if the housing itself is too big to fit in the ears. 

It's not so much the V curve that he may be unhappy with more so an overall lack in punch from balanced armature drivers compared to dynamic. Most new comers prepare themselves for nice impact. TF10 have a very defined sound of their own, while they excel in some areas they fall short in others, namely impact presentation because of BA drivers, they can lack authority / punch / making the overall presentation left short compared to a dynamic driver So I personally would lean towards saying they may not be for someone who is just starting out into IEMS. They are for someone who is looking for that exact sound signature and has experimented. 

But again, each to their own my friend. 
smile.gif

May 6, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #15 of 42
I liked the S4's and all, but they just don't appeal to me anymore. I love how beefy the 215's cable is and the reviews are awesome. How comfortable are they though? And I know they've reportedly had problems so I might go a step up and get the 315's. I don't think I can afford the step up though..does anyone know the cheapest place to get shure's new OR used? An alternative cheaper headphone would be fine. I'm truly only looking to spend around $90 after the sale cut or that price used, so I'm sorry for the misleading headline, It should be changed to "around $100" really. I know I'm asking for a lot lol. But I really am willing to buy used, if anyone knows a good place to buy used besides amazon (on amazon it's like 10 dollars less than brand new What?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back