Best route for office tunes?
Nov 20, 2002 at 6:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

TurboFC3S

New Head-Fier
Hi all ... I'm an audio nut who until I found this place, didn't have a clue about the whole headphone side of things. For about the last 2 years I've been running a pair of Sennheiser HD445's of my pc soundcard here in the office, it's decent but nothing spectacular. I want more!!!

I can do pretty much anything in my office, within reason ... So I was hoping for some guidance. What should I do for the absolute best sound under $300? I don't mind buying stuff used, or shopping for deals. Actually, the main question I have is should I get a portable cd player and an amp, or would I get better sound from a good single cd home player? I could probably pickup a good used Adcom or Marantz player off Ebay for $75. Would that sound better than say a Sony D-25 and a CHA-47? Portability isn't an issue, it's going to live in my office. I just want great sound.

Figure I'll get either a Grado SR125 or 225 for my phones. Although I like the AKG 501 and Sennheiser HD 580's too ... I guess it just depends on which one I can get the best deal on.

Nov 20, 2002 at 9:02 PM Post #2 of 7
Welcome to the wonder world of head-fi and prepare to spend !

Actually you sound like you've got a smart approach. Pick up quality stuff on ebay (your choices already sound wise), add a small amp (I'll leave that to others, but you'll find a lot a nice Headroom products and other amps floating around in the gear section. Just find a world weary headwiser who has 15 amps and your sure to get a deal!)

My only two cents is about your headphone choice: Audition! If you have Senns and like them you might not like Grados - on the other hand you'll be in for a whole new experience. But I'd try to audition before you buy!

Nov 21, 2002 at 2:31 PM Post #4 of 7
The thing is portability really doesn't matter to me. I can buy a home cd player and leave it locked safely in my office. If it'll give me better sound quality than a portable and a sub $200 amp, then that's what I'd like to do. And if it will give me better SQ, does anyone know of any home players in particular that have exceptional headphone capabilities?

I have listened to the Grado SR125's and loved them, also the AKG's. The Senn's I have now are low-end, they're only decent ... not much more. I don't mind looking like a dork at work
biggrin.gif

Nov 21, 2002 at 3:05 PM Post #5 of 7
If you have your own office with a door that closes (luxury!), I'd pick

D25S
Senn HD600
Meta42 or similar

If you can stretch the budget add a replacement cable for the Sennheisers.

Nov 21, 2002 at 4:35 PM Post #6 of 7
kelly started a good discussion of his and general computer-based office systems a while ago. You can find it here. If you have the space for a full-sized CD player, that only makes things easier.

[Edit: Whoops -- I swear the above replies weren't there when I posted this.]

kerely

Nov 21, 2002 at 7:09 PM Post #7 of 7
I tried quite a few combinations at work before settling on my favorite:

Panasonic SL-CT570
Headroom Cosmic
Etymotic 4S

I have it all in a Traveler bag so when I go on the road I am packed. I carry the bag home at night and use the Cosmic with my source at home.

When I need to hear the phone ring I downgrade to Koss Porta-Pros

Users who are viewing this thread

Back