Best rock 'n roll bass player...
Oct 22, 2002 at 5:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

markl

Hangin' with the monkeys.
Member of the Trade: Lawton Audio
Such an under-appreciated instrument. Who does it best?

Mark
(working on my new thread quota)

Oct 22, 2002 at 5:14 AM Post #3 of 37
bill wyman.

mark - why don't you answer the questions you ask btw?

Oct 22, 2002 at 5:19 AM Post #5 of 37
Quote:

mark - why don't you answer the questions you ask btw?

I'm way too busy asking questions. I've got priorities, man!
tongue.gif

Mark

Oct 22, 2002 at 6:37 AM Post #8 of 37
Jack Bruce (used six strings most of the time!).

Oct 22, 2002 at 7:10 AM Post #9 of 37
One that most people would never suspect: John Taylor from Duran Duran.

When I was in high school, I had friends in heavy metal bands who would buy Duran Duran and Power Station albums just to hear John Taylor play -- no joke!

Oct 22, 2002 at 8:03 AM Post #10 of 37
Gosh, bass is my favourite instrument - this is a tough question. A few folks that I always enjoy listening to:

John Paul Jones (Led Zeppelin - grossly under rated)
David Sims (The Jesus Lizard)
Jah Wobble (PIL)
Dave Cochrane (God, Ice amongst others)

Any bass player doing theme music for a Dirty Harry/Blaxploitation film
biggrin.gif

Oct 22, 2002 at 8:19 AM Post #12 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by DanG
Probably because of Paige on the guitar?

No doubt, but that does not make JPJ any less of a bass player/musician
tongue.gif

It is easy to get distracted by Paige/Plant and Bonzo, but if you listen to something like "Ramble On", you can get a feel for JPJs talent.
biggrin.gif

Oct 22, 2002 at 8:52 AM Post #13 of 37
If you listen to any of their music you should get a sense of his talent. He's great, like the entire band. I don't think all that many bands had such consistent talent throughout... some examples would be Zeppelin, of course, as well as The Who (Daltrey/Townsend/Entwhistle/Moon). But the Beatles were great despite most of them being pretty bad at their instruments... Ringo Starr was a better public personality than a drummer, and while John Lennon was great at writing music and singing, you can see how poor his guitar skills are if you listen to "While My Guitar Gently Weeps," played by one of the masters of guitar, Clapton. Experience had white man with fro on the bass who was horrible, though I guess you could say Hendrix/Mitchell was such an awesome combination it almost beats out the solid casts of The Who or Led Zeppelin -- though not quite.

Overall the bass player is pretty unimportant though -- it's up to him to stand out and become a major part of the band and to become a musician who is noticed for his talent and innovative playing.

Oct 22, 2002 at 9:14 AM Post #14 of 37
Tony Levin (Gabriel, Bowie, King Crimson, Paul Simon, etc etc). tho mostly not for his bass playing (which is great too mind you), but more the way he works the Chapman Stick. he can really stand out and add something extra to the song. very innovative and recognizable style.

Oct 22, 2002 at 9:30 AM Post #15 of 37
I like Geddy Lee too...surprised no one mentioned Flea.
Also Stanley Jordan, I think he could play. Stu Hamm rocks too. I saw him play "linus and lucy" on the bass!
I bet there are alot of studio guys who rip too.
JPJ on "the song remains the same" doing "no quarter" rocks. Hell, he rocks on every song.
md

Users who are viewing this thread

Back