Best Right-Angled Mini to Mini?
Nov 17, 2002 at 9:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Jackangel

100+ Head-Fier
I have a Meta42 (AD8620) on the way.
My primary PCDPs are an SL-SW860 and a D-25s.
I've got a pair of DT770s and a pair of MDR-7506s.
I want good bass with a full, rich sound.

I'll need a mini to mini cable to go from my pcdp to the meta42. It should be rather short (3 feet will suffice, I think) and not stiff, because I want it for a portable setup (sitting in jacket/pants/shirt pocket while I'm moving). I've read a few threads just now, and it seems the Markertek cables are great for the price.

But, are there any quality right-angled mini to mini cables available?
Should I buy the straight-plug and then get 2 right-angle adapters?
If so, is any such adapter good enough?
Or should I just make my own cables? (I'll consider that, but if I can get something good for $15-20, I'd rather do that).
Is there someone on head-fi who makes cables for others?

Advice is appreciated.

Nov 17, 2002 at 10:07 PM Post #5 of 8
Ok...so I can pick up 2 of those switchcraft plugs and some 4-conductor cable in whatever length I desire. Other than that, all I need is a soldering iron and some solder...and that's it?

Is it really so simple that when you look at the parts before you, you know what to do? I'm thinking of which wires should be soldered to which points on the plugs? If there's a guide somewhere, do tell. Otherwise, I'll ask someone later, when/if I get the parts.

Nov 17, 2002 at 10:21 PM Post #6 of 8
3-conductor wire. As long as the same wire goes to the same contact on both connectors. It makes more sense when you see them.

Nov 18, 2002 at 12:21 AM Post #7 of 8
JackAngel: if you find any guides or any more information on DIY-ing cables, please let me know (if not in a thread, then in a PM or email). I would really like to get some projects started if they are simple enough... but I fear I will miss something and then make my end result sound crappy.

Nov 18, 2002 at 1:56 AM Post #8 of 8
If you use the Canare quad cables, there are 4 condutors+shield. If I recall correctly, there are 2-blue and 2-clear/white. Connect one of the pairs to the ground of the plug and other end to the ground of the other plug. Connect the other pair to the center conductor of both plugs. Connect the shield on one end to the same ground as above. "Float' (NC) the other end of the shield. You can also connect the 'float' end thru a small cap to ground. Double check with VOM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back