Best resistor type for speaker crossover
Aug 8, 2011 at 10:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Navyblue

Headphoneus Supremus
Most speaker uses wirewound resistor in crossover. Is there any reason for this apart from their high power rating? Would it be technically superior if I replace them with a bunch parallel metal film or metal oxide resistor? With the later I don't even need to parallel them since they come in high enough power rating.

I read that metal oxide resistors are preferable for tweeter application for their low inductance. On my speaker crossover I have a bunch of inductors in it. So I guess, when inductance is not an issue wirewound resistors are superior for their lower noise?

I haven't traced the PCB, can I safely say that the wirewound resistor (4.7 kohms, 5W) Or is it even wirewound (it is encased in white ceramic type material)? Does wirewound come in such high resistance value? that is in there and the bunch of inductors are for the woofer?

Aug 9, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #2 of 5
Resistor noise isn't an issue in a passive crossover, resistor noise is only a concern if it's going to be amplified.

A 4.7k resistor seems very high for a crossover, what sort of speaker is it?

Aug 9, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #4 of 5
I can't imagine what they are using a 4.7k resistor for, sure its not a 4.7 ohm?

Anyway, if replacing a wirewound, it might be best to replace it with another wirewound. Any inductance should've been accounted for in the crossover design.

If i was going to design my own crossover i'd try to use metal oxide, so i don't have to worry about the inductance in the design.

You can get 5W and 10W metal oxide resistors pretty easily, a single resistor rated to do the job is a better option than multiple smaller ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back