Best recorded rock/metal live albums?
Oct 10, 2009 at 11:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

moogoob

Headphoneus Supremus
So, what in your opinion are the best rock or metal live albums in terms of recording quality that you've heard?

My nominees are:

Rock: Pink Floyd - P.U.L.S.E.
I love this one. The audience of the stadium it's recorded at are at the perfect volume. On good headphones (I recommend the Grado 325is) you can easily pick up the crowd singing along to Wish You Were Here. Also, it's just a fantastic performance, so long as you can stand Waters being missing.

Metal: Children of Bodom - Tokyo Warhearts
This album actually sounds better than many of their (especially more recent) studio albums. Like PULSE, it's a great performance, too.

Oct 10, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #2 of 18
Metal: Therion - Live Gothic
I'm not sure how it sounds on CD, but the vinyl version is amazing - great dynamics, super quiet vinyl, awesome performances... I don't have enough superlatives to describe it.

Oct 11, 2009 at 12:23 AM Post #3 of 18
18207.jpg

Oct 11, 2009 at 5:29 AM Post #4 of 18
My Dying Bride - For Darkest Eyes

Oct 11, 2009 at 7:15 PM Post #6 of 18
I am a huge PT fan but I really dont care for Warszawa. I dont think it is recorded all that well and sounds like there is a crowd of 10. Beyond that, the drums sound terrible...overly dry.

Oct 11, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #7 of 18
Also, although it is not a live album, I think the live tracks off Tool's "Salival" record are awesome.

Oct 11, 2009 at 9:44 PM Post #8 of 18
I agree about PF- Pulse. Here are some more that are pretty good-

Rush- A show of hands
Rush- All the world's a stage
Iron Maiden- Live after death
My Morning Jacket- Okonokos

Oct 12, 2009 at 12:23 AM Post #10 of 18
If you get a chance, listen to the vinyl version. I think for a live album it's close to being reference quality material. Especially the additional songs that are on the vinyl only. Those are especially well recorded.

Oct 12, 2009 at 2:28 AM Post #11 of 18
Nirvana and Alice in Chains unplugged.

Oct 12, 2009 at 9:50 AM Post #12 of 18
Rock: Thin Lizzy - Live and Dangerous

While it's not 100% live, it's still a powerful testament to the live awesomeness of Thin Lizzy. The twin guitar attack is gloriously visceral! Also, THE definitive recording of their best ballad, "Still In Love With You".

Metal: Bloodbath - The Wacken Carnage

I absolutely love the biting, crunchy and drenched-in-old-school-fuzz guitar tone. Mikael Akerfeldt's witty banter ("Higher. Higher! Dani Filth!") in between songs is hilarious!

Oct 12, 2009 at 11:48 AM Post #13 of 18
Arctic Monkeys Live at the Apollo DVD, very good audio rip! As well as Muse's HAARP.
Led Zeppelin's The Song Remains the Same
Deep Purple's Made in Japan

However:
-Led Zeppelin's How the West Was Won- mixed bag here, some songs are marvelous but some sound congested.
-RHCP's Live at Hyde Park sounds congested, but listenable.
-The Who Live at Royal Albert Hall sometimes sounds messy.

Oct 12, 2009 at 11:59 AM Post #14 of 18
Try the Grateful Dead "Dozin at the Knick". The sound is pristine. Not the best Dead possible, but great 90's Dead. Bypass Brent Midland's mysoginistic rants (songs), and you've got an awesome Dead show. There's really nothing better, so why resist.

Oct 12, 2009 at 2:16 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by KingStyles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nirvana and Alice in Chains unplugged.

I own the Nirvana one and it totally slipped my mind. Amazing recording, amazing performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back