Best record of the year: Microcastle / Weird Era
Nov 10, 2008 at 6:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

Davey

Headphoneus Supremus
Yea, I know, kinda early, but this latest 2-CD set from Deerhunter has been playing at my house and in my car pretty much continuously for the last couple weeks or so, and it just gets better and better, especially the Weird Era bonus disc which mixes lots of shoegazer goodness reminiscent of Loveless, blissful pop of the Cocteaus (not surprisingly, released on 4AD in the UK) and droney jams of Yo La Tengo, the electro-playfulness of someone like Caribou (Manitoba). Overall, kinda like the Broken Social Scene debut from a few years ago, adventurous and always interesting, but with a stong sense of melody and good songwriting and singing. So how come there is only one post by DLeeWebb here that even mentions it? And what do you think about it so far Doug?
smily_headphones1.gif

So what else is at the top of your favorites this year and in the running for best of 2008? I know the Deerhunter has gotten a ton of good press now, so give us some info about the good ones sneaking around under the radar that most people haven't heard about yet.

Nov 10, 2008 at 7:13 PM Post #2 of 36
5ive's "Hesperus" is probably going to be the album of the year for me, though other excellent releases include:

Equus - Eutheria
Esoteric - The Maniacal Vale
Colour Haze - All
Dungen - 4
Ethneogenic - Spontaneous Illumination

Nov 19, 2008 at 8:18 PM Post #3 of 36
Oh man, not much interest in this one
smily_headphones1.gif

OK, so I've also been listening a lot to the Radar Bros who put out Auditorium the beginning of the year. And it does spend some time with that Mercury Rev Deserter's Songs psych-Americana sound that I like so much. Great record, maybe not quite the greatness that I assign to their And the Surrounding Mountains, but that's one of my favorites from the last decade, actually one of my favorites from any decade (but that probably says more about my tastes than the quality of the record
smily_headphones1.gif
). Pretty nice sound on this latest too. Good bass and in-room presence. Maybe a bit slow moving for some, but I really like it, and definitely one of my favorites of this year, getting better with each listen, and I liked it a lot from go. Any other Radar Bros. fans hanging around?

Nov 19, 2008 at 9:44 PM Post #4 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So what else is at the top of your favorites this year and in the running for best of 2008?

Alison Krauss & Robert Plant - Raising Sand
Goldfrapp - Seventh Tree

Nov 20, 2008 at 2:19 AM Post #7 of 36
The Deerhunter record is fantastic. I still need to listen to it more, even though ive had it for months.

Bon Iver is easily the best record of the decade, but it really came out last year and was just re-released.

David Byrne, Q-Tip and Sun Kil Moon also have great records out.

The winner though, by far, is Fleet Foxes.

Nov 21, 2008 at 12:34 AM Post #9 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Third

Really?
I have to give it another couple of shots...hasnt really caught my attention yet.

Jul 8, 2010 at 10:48 PM Post #10 of 36
No Age - NOUNS

Jul 9, 2010 at 12:31 AM Post #11 of 36
I love this album. I got it late last year and it would have to rank as one of my all time favourites. 

I don't mind the Radar Bros or the New Age's Nouns either, but they didn't attract my attention like the Deerhunter's double. 

Jul 9, 2010 at 3:07 AM Post #13 of 36
I didn't think 2008 was a particular good year for popular music. So it's interesting to look back. I'm sticking with Thrid.

This year, Silence by Monolake,  HIgh On Fire's Snakes for the Devine, and Oversteps by Autechre are my three so far faves.

Jul 9, 2010 at 6:51 PM Post #14 of 36
Third was great. But 2008 was a great year. I'm not sure if that concerns popular music, but there were definitely great releases that year.

Jul 9, 2010 at 6:52 PM Post #15 of 36
Including Microcastle and Weird Era Cont.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back