Best record cleaner
May 13, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #16 of 16

Quote:
I use the discwasher correctly but it still hardly picks up dust or dirt. From what I've read the difference in the old discwasher and the new one is that the new brush is like corduroy and the old discwasher is like a brush.
Quote:

The Discwasher was always "like corduroy".  I used them back from 1986 - wood and "corduroy" it was then, as well.

After a quick look at the "new" Discwasher (that would be "new new" Discwasher, because the 1980's Discwashers were "new" (a mod of previous versions) as well!) it seems that although they still have the "corduroy" of old, it is the composition of the corduroy that has changed.  The previous, 80's vintage corduroy was red and the fibers were aligned in rows, with small 'gaps' in between the rows.  The individual rows had the fibers arranged to be stiff in a single direction, and the fibers seems to be constructed of a type of nylon or similar synthetic.

If the new Discwasher's pad is cotton, or a softer material than the original, it's not going to do as good as a job and that's the source of everyone's problem.

Trust me - you people REALLY need to give the Audio Technica cleaner a try.  I see that, on two different shopping sites, the 'new' Discwasher gets a feedback rating 1-out-of-5 / 3-out-of-5 stars while the Audio Technica get 4-out-of-5 / 4-out-of-5.  If the Audio Technica has even the slightest relation to the old Signet, which it should because it's the SAME company, there's a reason for the feedback ratings - the Signet ROCKED.

The Signet PWNED the Discwasher, no joke: to show people "You REALLY want this one" we would clean a record with the Discwasher...and then clean it again with the Signet right after.  The Signet would come out gray from all the dirt it would pick up that the Discwasher had left behind.

See, check out the reviews (including references compared to the D4):

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AT6012-Record-Cleaning-Kit/product-reviews/B000EHYBRC/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

OH YEAH - one other thing.  The best "secret" to use this brush and eliminate the major complaint of the reviews?  Don't put the liquid into the little holes at the top of the pad.  Apply the liquid directly to the pad - a la Discwasher - and you'll thank yourself every time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back