Best recommendations for budget IEMs
Oct 9, 2006 at 7:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Old Nico

New Head-Fier
I wonder whether experienced users here would mind giving me the benefit of their advice.

1) Ignoring the super-expensive phones (anything costing more than the SuperFi 5, say) what are the best in ears, and why?

I like the bass on the SuperFi 5EB, but they're a bit big and awkward. I like the wonderful fit of the EX90 but the sound is merely good (when I want great) and they are very frail. I like the sound of the HJE70, but Panasonic's quality control is poor, and I know not all 70s sound that great, and they slip out a bit easily.

2) And what are the best phones in the same broad price category as the EX-71, and why?

3) And finally, what are the best, non in-ear canal earbuds (like the Sennheiser 400/500, or Apple's stock earbuds) and why? I like the Sony E888, but it's a bit big and sharp (there's an uncomfortable corner) for comfort in my ear.

Has anyone tried V-Moda's phones?

Oct 10, 2006 at 2:35 AM Post #5 of 13
Hmmm... Since the Super.fi 5 Pro's can be had for $164 on Amazon, I'm assuming that you want your IEM's to cost $164 and less, correct?

You should consider getting the iM716's. They can be had for $105 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Altec-Lansing-...&s=electronics

Oct 10, 2006 at 3:43 AM Post #6 of 13
The shure's bass is taking a bit of time to get accustomed to. It's not the "booooOOOOOOooooom" you get from earbuds when you have a bass note, it's more of a single "oomph" (can't get better words than that
blink.gif
). Much, much thighter: it actually extracts the single bass freq that is playing, not pushing = +-5 Hz around it. At first sight it seems light, but when you start actually feeling it it gets very satisfying. I will never come back to earbuds after hearing mine...
biggrin.gif

Oct 10, 2006 at 4:30 AM Post #7 of 13
I'm just a noob, but being sick of buying 10 dollar earphones and having them break on me in less than week i decided I'd get some good IEMS without breaking my wallet considered ksc75, cx300, er6i then finally settled on the im716. This is of course after hours of research through these forums. Now they're in the mail

Oct 10, 2006 at 4:45 AM Post #8 of 13
I have the iM716s and they are some seriously great value headphones. With custom foam eartips made with Howard Leigh earplugs they have some seriously tight bass. Not for the basshead, though. For that I hear the UE 5 pros are excellent.

Oct 10, 2006 at 5:00 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLegend
I'm just a noob, but being sick of buying 10 dollar earphones and having them break on me in less than week i decided I'd get some good IEMS without breaking my wallet considered ksc75, cx300, er6i then finally settled on the im716. This is of course after hours of research through these forums. Now they're in the mail

Congratulations! Welcome to team iM716
tongue.gif
. Get a pair of KSC-75's too! I use them when I'm in situations where I cannot have isolation.

Oct 10, 2006 at 1:10 PM Post #12 of 13
Westone UM1? I can't really comment on their SQ since mine are still in the mail.

Oct 10, 2006 at 1:19 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Nico
Thanks very much! But I kind of like the bass...

I'm surprised that loads of people don't have good advice to pass on.....

In that case, i don't think any other iem will satisfy you bass-wise
If you're ready for another type of sound though, i liked the E4 for the short time that i auditioned it
But my favourite is the UM2.. save up for it
wink.gif

Oh and imo, best earbuds at a reasonable price is MX400

Users who are viewing this thread

Back