Best quality headphones for 40-80$
Jun 15, 2013 at 5:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

FrankBoltzmann

New Head-Fier
I've been looking around trying to find some headphones for my girlfriend. She was amazed by the sound of my Plantronics Gamecom 377 on a Creative X-Fi Platinum sound card. She mentioned the soundstage was amazing, so I wanted to buy her something with a equal or greater sound quality. She wants headphones for music, not games like me, so it should be easy since the 377 are a gaming headset and music headphones tend to have much better sound quality for music.

(I've looked at http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-107-portable-headphones-reviewed-astrotec-as-100hd-as-200hd-added-12-02-12)

Requirements:
White color (or pink, or anything girly, but white is easier to find)
Great audio quality (without the need of an amp or sound card)
Strong build

Preferences: (not necessairly needed)
In-line microphone for skype/phone
metal build (so it doesn't break)
Portable

I'm under the impression that around the ear headphones give a better soundstage due to isolation since they close around your ears, so correct me if on-ear headphones can also provide such a good soundstage. I've mainly looked into:

Audio-Technica ATH-FC700:
+comes in pink
+portable
- on-ear as opposed to around the ear
- they dont click/lock into the unfolded position but rather stay loose
- not comfortable (no pads for the top)
- no mic
- weak build
- V cable can be annoying

Philips SHL9560/10
+ colorful
+ around the ear?
+ comfortable
- no mic?
- weak build
- not very portable

[size=small]JVC HA-S600[/size]
[size=small]+ comes in white[/size]
[size=small]+ around the ear?[/size]
[size=small]+ portable[/size]
[size=small]+ comfortable[/size]
[size=small]- weak build[/size]
[size=small]- no mic[/size]
- V cable can be annoying

Pioneer SE-MJ721
+ comes in white
+ strong build
- on-ear (not around)
- no top padding
- no mic
- not very portable

Panasonic RP-HTX7AE-P
+ comes in pink/white
+ around the ear
+ comfortable
+ strong build (metal)
- ugly
- not very portable

[size=small]Sony MDRV55[/size]
[size=small]+ comfortable[/size]
[size=small]+ portable[/size]
[size=x-small]+ white[/size]
[size=x-small]+ strong build[/size]
[size=x-small]- on ear (instead of around)[/size]
[size=x-small]- no mic[/size]

[size=x-small]I'll let you guys tell me about the sound quality of these. Please let me know if any of them is rubbish compared to the others or compared to other headphones in that 40-80$ range. Also let me know if they are good or great. I just need some feedback on these but I'll also want to know if there are any good headphones out there that I've missed for that price range, white and preferably with a microphone. Please also let me know if I'm wrong about the on-ear/around-the-ear thing. [/size]

[size=x-small]Thank you.[/size]

[size=x-small]EDIT: This thread may belong to the Introduction section, I'm not sure. In any case, sorry.[/size]

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

Jun 15, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #4 of 19
Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply, but I'm not looking for in-ear headphones. Plus, bigger drivers mean more punchy bass, right?

Drivers are so different that size doesn't really relate well to bass quantity. The seal around the ears is probably the most important (other than inherent design features), for an in-ear sealing is easy but it depends on your head shape for headphones.

Full size headphones are probably better for soundstage, though.

Jun 15, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #5 of 19
Just one thing to say first, don't buy the philips shl9650... since your budget is at the 40-80 dollar price range, go for these:

Philips O'neill The Stretch
+ Very Colorful
+ Durable
+ Good Sound Quality (but not great compared to Hi-End)
+ Well Built
+ Has Mic and other features

Pioneer STEEZ 808
+ Dual Driver Headphone
+ Colorful
+ Bass Control
+ With Mic and other features
+ Good Build

Urbanears Zinkens
+ EXTREMELY COLORFULL!!
+ Great Build
+ Alot of nice features
- Fair to Decent sound.

Apparently, i could give you ALOT more suggestions, but regarding the price range, the requirements, i believe these are sufficient. Just one advice though, DO NOT BUY BEATS, SOUL BY LUDACRIS, SMS STREET or any fashion accessory. 

I myself own a pair of gaming headphones; the Steelseries Siberia V2 Na'Vi, Steelseries FLUX, Razer Orca, Razer Kracken, Razer Tiama 2.2 and Razer Tiamat 7.1. 

Hope this helps!

Jun 16, 2013 at 2:49 AM Post #6 of 19
Phillips citiscape downtown, great and ultra girly in purple

I would suggest the CAL! but they only come in black

for something a little better the Audio-technica M50's ($160ish) and V-moda M80's ($130 on clearence at radioshack) come in white

Jun 18, 2013 at 6:26 AM Post #8 of 19
These sound great, and have a unique style.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-Skullcandy-RocNation-Aviator-Headphones-WHITE-w-Mic-Kate-Upton-/121128824248?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item1c33d72db8

Jun 18, 2013 at 6:58 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:
These sound great, and have a unique style.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-Skullcandy-RocNation-Aviator-Headphones-WHITE-w-Mic-Kate-Upton-/121128824248?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item1c33d72db8

No offense to you man, but i;m just saying... skullcandy aviators does sound good, but they ask too much of the price.. The Philips Citiscape Uptowns beat their sound quality, and they are 1/3 of ite's price.

Jun 18, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #10 of 19
This new pair I bought off Ebay for $48 was too much?  My ears beg to differ.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251285252466?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

The pair I reference in my previous post were white (as the OP asked for), sound great, and within the $80 budget.  Plus they have a mic.

Jun 18, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:
Just one thing to say first, don't buy the philips shl9650... since your budget is at the 40-80 dollar price range, go for these:

Philips O'neill The Stretch
+ Very Colorful
+ Durable
+ Good Sound Quality (but not great compared to Hi-End)
+ Well Built
+ Has Mic and other features

Pioneer STEEZ 808
+ Dual Driver Headphone
+ Colorful
+ Bass Control
+ With Mic and other features
+ Good Build

Urbanears Zinkens
+ EXTREMELY COLORFULL!!
+ Great Build
+ Alot of nice features
- Fair to Decent sound.

Apparently, i could give you ALOT more suggestions, but regarding the price range, the requirements, i believe these are sufficient. Just one advice though, DO NOT BUY BEATS, SOUL BY LUDACRIS, SMS STREET or any fashion accessory. 

I myself own a pair of gaming headphones; the Steelseries Siberia V2 Na'Vi, Steelseries FLUX, Razer Orca, Razer Kracken, Razer Tiama 2.2 and Razer Tiamat 7.1. 

Hope this helps!

Those STEEZ only come in black I think. What do you think about these:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pioneer-SE-D10M-W-Collapsable-Dynamic-Headphones/dp/B006Z382ZQ/

Quote:
Phillips citiscape downtown, great and ultra girly in purple

I would suggest the CAL! but they only come in black

for something a little better the Audio-technica M50's ($160ish) and V-moda M80's ($130 on clearence at radioshack) come in white

I've looked at the Phillips Citiscape Downtown before and cut them out for some reason. I think it's because the volume slider is a slider and makes cable noise. I also didn't like the ear pads since they aren't concave, I really wanted to buy her fullsize good quality strong build comfortable headphones that come in white, pink or other girly colour. Having a mic would be a plus and being collapsible also (Sennheiser pc350 are pretty portable while being full-size)

Jun 18, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #13 of 19
Citycape Uptown (downtown's big brother)  is 71 bucks on Amazon right now
http://www.amazon.com/Philips-SHL5905GY-28-CitiScape-Headphones/dp/B006Z1J2JI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371593267&sr=8-1&keywords=citiscape+uptown

Jun 18, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #14 of 19
If you can forgo the mic and get by with black headphones, the Takstar Pro 80 would be worth looking into. They are getting a lot of good recommendations (I have not heard them) as headphones that can be had in your budget range that compete with headphones up to $150. Here's a discussion for Takster headphones: http://www.head-fi.org/t/585356/the-takstar-technical-pro-gemini-greathon-thread

Otherwise, for a headphone that comes in feminine colors, the Phillips Citiscape Downtown that ScaryFatKidGT recommended really is a good headphone for their current price on Amazon of under $60.

Jun 18, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:
Citycape Uptown (downtown's big brother)  is 71 bucks on Amazon right now
http://www.amazon.com/Philips-SHL5905GY-28-CitiScape-Headphones/dp/B006Z1J2JI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371593267&sr=8-1&keywords=citiscape+uptown

I've considered those. Although the brown isn't very feminine, they seem to be full-size around the ear headphones or am I wrong? The only problem being the volume slider being a slider instead of buttons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back