Best programmable universal remotes?
Aug 23, 2008 at 1:33 AM Post #2 of 21
Only ones I've used are in the Harmony series. I picked up an 880, but is right up against your price limit. The B&W screen ones are much less expensive though and don't lose much at all when compared to the 880. The 550 runs ~ $80.

Aug 23, 2008 at 3:56 AM Post #4 of 21
Harmonys

Aug 23, 2008 at 4:15 AM Post #5 of 21
In that price range, the Harmony is your best bet.

Another option is the Home Theater Master remotes... from Universal Remote control. The upper line of their remotes MX-3000 are incredible, haven't really used the entry level remotes from them but definitely worth checking out.

Aug 23, 2008 at 1:21 PM Post #7 of 21
I know they use PC software to program, but on Harmony remotes, do they allow you to program the remote from another remote? For example, I used to have a Marantz universal remote that would allow me to press a button on another remote and program a new button on the new remote to perform that function. This is important to me because I have a very obscure remote for my Rudistor RP010B and I want to be able to program the new remore to use it. It won't be in their database, so i will need to be able to program it from the existing rudistor remote.

Aug 23, 2008 at 1:46 PM Post #8 of 21
Aug 23, 2008 at 2:10 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know they use PC software to program, but on Harmony remotes, do they allow you to program the remote from another remote?

There were instructions that came with my Harmony that showed remote to remote programming, I would imagine that would be consistent with all of their line.

Remote Cental

The Head-Fi of remotes.

Aug 23, 2008 at 2:11 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know they use PC software to program, but on Harmony remotes, do they allow you to program the remote from another remote? For example, I used to have a Marantz universal remote that would allow me to press a button on another remote and program a new button on the new remote to perform that function. This is important to me because I have a very obscure remote for my Rudistor RP010B and I want to be able to program the new remore to use it. It won't be in their database, so i will need to be able to program it from the existing rudistor remote.

880 has an IR transmitter for obvious reasons but it also has an IR receiver on the Azz end for learning. You can see it here http://www.logitech.com/repository/151/jpg/847.1.0.jpg, and I know this because I have the 890.

Aug 23, 2008 at 6:59 PM Post #11 of 21
Went ahead and bought this'n:

5849.1.0.jpg

Aug 23, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #15 of 21
seen that in t3 this month!
Looks awesome and came top in their universal remote test!
Good choice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back