best print audio magazines
Oct 23, 2002 at 4:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

kelly

Herr Babelfish der Übersetzer, he wore a whipped-cream-covered tutu for this title.
What are your favorite audio magazines that are still in publication?

Oct 23, 2002 at 5:17 PM Post #2 of 26
I suppose I'll be the odd one out by saying that I really like Stereophile and The Absolute Sound. Stereophile tests most of the products they review and publishes the graphs; TAS reviews cheaper gear as well as expensive stuff and is not afraid to champion multichannel sound at a time when it is still unpopular among most audiophiles. I'm sure they have both published inaccurate reviews, some of their writers seem to be flakes, they take ads, etc. etc. but if I read a review by Mike Fremer or Robert Harley, then I have a fair amount of confidence that I can rely on it.

Hi Fi Plus (British) is well written -- perhaps the best prose among all the audio mags -- but does not publish any measurements, instead relying only on subjective reviews.

The other British magazines (Hi Fi News, What Hi Fi, Hi Fi Choice, --why do they all have to have 'Hi Fi' in their titles?) are interesting but seem to be cheerleaders for British products--perhaps because said products are much cheaper in the UK and more widely available than here.

Oct 23, 2002 at 5:23 PM Post #3 of 26
I read and subscribe to most of the titles Calanctus mentioned above (and a few more).

However, there's really only one that matters...

wink.gif

Oct 23, 2002 at 5:26 PM Post #4 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by RickG
However, there's really only one that matters...

Rick
If my cluelessness wasn't explicit in the first post let me emphasize it here. I really have no idea where they stack up. Which one matters?

Oct 23, 2002 at 5:34 PM Post #5 of 26
Kelly,

I'm speaking of the mag that the "industry" speaks of...worldwide. Like it or hate it, Stereophile is the bible.

Of course, this is just my oppinion. However, I feel sure Jude, Tyll, and many others would agree!

wink.gif

Oct 23, 2002 at 5:53 PM Post #6 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by RickG
I'm speaking of the mag that the "industry" speaks of...worldwide. Like it or hate it, Stereophile is the bible.

It's a definite upgrade from when Stereo Review held that position.

Oct 23, 2002 at 6:02 PM Post #7 of 26
ROTFLMAO, Hirsch...that's for sure!

Just as a side note, if you are new to Stereophile, or an intermittent reader, I have to recommend that you get to a news stand and pick up the November issue. It's the 40th anniversary special and contains lots of history and product info.

IMO, a great introductory issue.

edit: Hey, it's worth it just to see Tyll in all his glory...

wink.gif

Oct 23, 2002 at 6:29 PM Post #8 of 26
Well, almost.
eek.gif

seriously, I subscribe to Stereophile. Some things I like about it: others I don't. The worst thing? It really seems like they love EVERYTHING. Everything! I mean, sure, at that price point, its more based on "taste," but to love everything?

Oct 23, 2002 at 7:22 PM Post #10 of 26
Where does UHF rank? I saw that some people on Audio Asylum like it. I saw that it was Canadian and immediately took points off.
wink.gif

Oct 23, 2002 at 7:30 PM Post #11 of 26
I have to vote for UHF or Ultra High Fidelity. It's a Canadian magazine check it out here

Oct 23, 2002 at 7:30 PM Post #12 of 26
Oops, great minds think alike I guess.....

I don't think alot of people know about it. Personally I like it best. I like the way they review things, They have a couple of reference systems and when they review a piece they replace the reference systems piece with the one being reviewed. A panel then sits down for a listening session and compares how the piece under review stacks up against their reference. I personally think this gives much more balanced reviews as the pieces under review are put up against a constant. If there a more than one type of product under review in that issue they will also compare those against each other. They have some good articles and advice sections as well. They even sell some nifty stuff on their website.

Oct 23, 2002 at 8:04 PM Post #13 of 26
Listener magazine is a bi-monthly aand it is da bomb. Tube-friendly and very casual, it's like a chat with smart, clever friends who have access to lots of equipment. Check it out!

Stereophile, unfortunately, has become the new Stereo Review... I will not be resubscribing.

A terrific on-line 'magazine' I found is www.6moons.com. I found it while searching for info on the AKG K1000, where I found a full review and a follow up that dealt with associated equipment. Highly recommended because of: 1) Affordable products reviewed, and 2) Extremely skilled writer. This guy (and it's all done by one guy) has a great knack for putting sonic differences into usable metaphors. Go read the AKG stuff and I think you'll agree.

Oct 23, 2002 at 8:16 PM Post #14 of 26
dave
So you think he's bluffing?

Quote:

Listener readers who hold onto their back issues will be happy to know that the September/October issue, which is in the mail now, may be destined for collectibility. Unfortunately, that status comes at a price: It will be our last issue.

Our owners at Englander Communications have followed the magazine's performance closely in recent months, and while subscription renewals are up slightly, it isn't enough: They have been unable to attract enough new subscribers to ensure profitability and sustain the publication over the long haul.

I would like to say that our three-year relationship with Englander was a good one, and that their circulation expertise in particular helped us to reach a bigger audience than would otherwise have been possible. This may not be an especially happy time for me or my family, but I understand Englander's reasons, and their actions have been honorable and in fact downright classy. I thank them for getting involved with this peculiar little magazine in the first place.

More to the point, I thank all our readers for buying Listener during the eight years we published it. And I'm especially grateful for the many kind letters and words of praise we received during that time. In the words of Renwick Hoeck: "Memories – eh, Stimpy?" We had a good run, it was a lot of fun, and now it's time to do something else.

Best wishes to all...

Art Dudley
Editor
Listener

Users who are viewing this thread

Back