Best possible head-fi setup with PC as source for techno/trance/electronica/d&b when money is not an option?
Aug 1, 2011 at 1:14 AM Post #31 of 59
Nice sarcasm....

Quote:
Trust me you might think ground-shaking bass and sparking treble is great for trance/electronic but neutral is much better.. 

How is that not biased? That's personal preference. 

Quote:
How can you know what you like until you've experienced everything else? 

I agree, that's why I said he should try colored and neutral headphones.

Aug 1, 2011 at 1:18 AM Post #32 of 59

Quote:
How is that not biased? That's personal preference. 

I agree, that's why I said he should try colored and neutral headphones.

Bias and personal preference are two different things.
And once again reread my last response to your post.
Don't be a conspiracy nitpicker. 

Aug 1, 2011 at 1:21 AM Post #33 of 59
Quote:
3) I mainly listen techno, trance, electronica and drum & bass. My optimal headphone system would have deep bass, punch and control in the midtones and be soft in the upper frequencies, but not too soft (I do like details).

Start out small; Try a pair of Sony XB500 (which you'll want to keep around even after you have a 10k system) which you can run directly from your soundcard. From this point decide if fat bass is important to you (Denon D7000, T1, Ed8) or more of an airy detailed sound (HD800, DT880, SA5000) and pair with an amp best known for their synergy. Also a good discrete DAC is important to hit the audio crescendo you desire.

Aug 1, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #34 of 59
Here ya go.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cognitive_biases
Do well to read through each and every one of them and inform me the error of my ways. Shall I repent?

Aug 1, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #35 of 59
We must be talking about different definitions of bias then...

[size=12pt]bi·as[/size]

n. 1. A line going diagonally across the grain of fabric: Cut the cloth on the bias.
2. a. A preference or an inclination, especially one that inhibits impartial judgment.
b. An unfair act or policy stemming from prejudice.

3. A statistical sampling or testing error caused by systematically favoring some outcomes over others.
4. Sports a. A weight or irregularity in a ball that causes it to swerve, as in lawn bowling.
b. The tendency of such a ball to swerve.

5. The fixed voltage applied to an electrode.

adj. Slanting or diagonal; oblique: a bias fold.

tr.v. bi·ased or bi·assedbi·as·ing or bi·as·singbi·as·es or bi·as·ses 1. To influence in a particular, typically unfair direction; prejudice.
2. To apply a small voltage to (a grid).

Aug 1, 2011 at 1:23 AM Post #36 of 59

Quote:
We must be talking about different definitions of bias then...

[size=12pt]bi·as[/size]

n. 1. A line going diagonally across the grain of fabric: Cut the cloth on the bias.
2. a. A preference or an inclination, especially one that inhibits impartial judgment.
b. An unfair act or policy stemming from prejudice.

3. A statistical sampling or testing error caused by systematically favoring some outcomes over others.
4. Sports a. A weight or irregularity in a ball that causes it to swerve, as in lawn bowling.
b. The tendency of such a ball to swerve.

5. The fixed voltage applied to an electrode.

adj. Slanting or diagonal; oblique: a bias fold.

tr.v. bi·ased or bi·assedbi·as·ing or bi·as·singbi·as·es or bi·as·ses 1. To influence in a particular, typically unfair direction; prejudice.
2. To apply a small voltage to (a grid).

And is my preference for the hd-600 inhibiting impartial judgment? Am I announcing the superiority of them to any other suggestion in this thread?

I suggest you desist unless you want to keep throwing snides back and forth.

It'll end up with you raging against me or attacking my philosophies then the untimely incident of moderators coming in to clean up the mess.

Aug 1, 2011 at 1:26 AM Post #38 of 59
Aug 1, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #39 of 59
Really, I wasn't attacking you to begin with, nor am I on the path to raging against someone I don't even know. I just disagree with you that neutral is better. 

"And is my preference for the hd-600 inhibiting impartial judgment? Am I announcing the superiority of them to any other suggestion in this thread?"

Btw I didnt see anyone else announcing superiority of any headphones either, even though you claimed people posting short biased responses, just suggestions.

Aug 1, 2011 at 1:46 AM Post #40 of 59
Neutral amp/DAC is the way to go. Then pick the headphone you like most, colored or not. I'm also a neutrality convert now (ex-Gradohead), and I feel a good neutral headphone is an all-rounder the likes of which would require a whole stable full of colored ones to match. Still, there is nothing wrong with buying and enjoying a colored can, especially not one that works well with a preferred genre. That's part of the journey. Sil3nce, you really can't support experimentation and journey then claim that the journey should always end with neutrality.

Then everyone would just buy a DAC1 and LCD-2 like me and call it a day 
biggrin.gif

PS: That last sentence doubles as a recommendation, OP. LCD-2 is supposed to have the best bass of the top-tier headphones, and I'm loving every song I play through it. Consider the HE-500 or HE-6 by Hifiman too. Planars really impress me now.

Aug 1, 2011 at 2:05 AM Post #43 of 59

Quote:
Really, I wasn't attacking you to begin with, nor am I on the path to raging against someone I don't even know. I just disagree with you that neutral is better. 

"And is my preference for the hd-600 inhibiting impartial judgment? Am I announcing the superiority of them to any other suggestion in this thread?"

Btw I didnt see anyone else announcing superiority of any headphones either, even though you claimed people posting short biased responses, just suggestions.

Sigh. I have nothing to say. It's unbecoming for me to argue. There's holes so wide in your statement not to mention the way you approach thing- highly predictable . But that being said it's part of my job to notice such things. So in that sense, thanks. But from now on please refrain from talking to me. You have a habit of not paying attention to detail and pointedly ignoring most of what I said and only picking out specific things to your benefit.

Aug 1, 2011 at 2:06 AM Post #44 of 59
Aug 1, 2011 at 2:08 AM Post #45 of 59

Quote:
Neutral amp/DAC is the way to go. Then pick the headphone you like most, colored or not. I'm also a neutrality convert now (ex-Gradohead), and I feel a good neutral headphone is an all-rounder the likes of which would require a whole stable full of colored ones to match. Still, there is nothing wrong with buying and enjoying a colored can, especially not one that works well with a preferred genre. That's part of the journey. Sil3nce, you really can't support experimentation and journey then claim that the journey should always end with neutrality.

Then everyone would just buy a DAC1 and LCD-2 like me and call it a day 
biggrin.gif

PS: That last sentence doubles as a recommendation, OP. LCD-2 is supposed to have the best bass of the top-tier headphones, and I'm loving every song I play through it. Consider the HE-500 or HE-6 by Hifiman too. Planars really impress me now.

More than fair. But doesn't it anger you to no end when people post responses like that? Then again you're right. Jumping the gun is also part of the journey haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back