Best "Portable" Source - KORG MR 1000? - A Few Thoughts
Oct 6, 2009 at 3:50 PM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it works just like a hard drive, you do not have to resample it if you have already ripped the DSD file, but its up to you to find a way to rip the SACD to DSD. also the HD can be upgraded to 120gb without problem

Is the drive a 1.8" HDD? Is it a PATA or SATA interface and can a SSD drive be used?

Oct 6, 2009 at 4:06 PM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it works just like a hard drive, you do not have to resample it if you have already ripped the DSD file, but its up to you to find a way to rip the SACD to DSD. also the HD can be upgraded to 120gb without problem

I am open to any suggestion
biggrin.gif
Personally, I rip my SACD having the DSD flow converted to PCM high rez @ 24/88 with the help of the Vanity module.

I also would be interested in knowing the maximum size of the internal HD. Alternatively, I guess it is possible to connect it to an external HD, but at the expenses of the portability.

Actually, 99,9% of computer high rez music available for consumers is in PCM format, and it is a pity, but I really believe the DSD is now arriving too late. None of us will throw their current DAC just to buy a new DAC capable of DSD. So recording in pure DSD for regular consumers might proove to be a wrong choice, if you have later a very limited choice of hardware available to play back those files, unless you convert everything back to PCM.
frown.gif

Bottom line is that the DSD format for computer high rez music seem a dead end, and probably only valuable for recording technicians/engineers. As for SACDs, let's see how long they hold...

But this KORG has definitely more than just DSD ability, and it offers a very convenient high end all-in-one transportable solution. I am still wondering about the user interface though
redface.gif

Oct 6, 2009 at 4:20 PM Post #18 of 21
By the way, wouldn't be the KORG MR1 a much better portable solution... if the somehow very small 20GB HD can be upgraded, it would be a stunnning portable device, supporting high rez PCM and DSD flow.

The user interface is a bit scary though
biggrin.gif

mr1main6337843110377900.gif

Oct 20, 2009 at 5:07 PM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

By the way, wouldn't be the KORG MR1 a much better portable solution... if the somehow very small 20GB HD can be upgraded, it would be a stunnning portable device, supporting high rez PCM and DSD flow.

Funny you should mention that, I'm currently listening to my MR-1 with its newly installed 64Gb SSD - it has some teething troubles at the moment though, that I'm hoping are simply battery issues.

Others have had great success with 80Gb HDDs but I wanted solid state.

I will post more as I work out what's wrong. It's working as a hard drive just fine and once it is working it seems to playback just fine too. Track seeks and drive sleep/standby seems to cause hanging at the moment though.

Feb 5, 2011 at 7:15 PM Post #20 of 21
1. Does it support 24/96 flacs bought from HDtracks? If not, could the 24/96 flacs be converted into the 1 bit thingy without loss?

2. Can I copy wav files directly to it?

3. Is it difficult to change the hard disk to SSD?

4. How does it compare to HM801 line out as a source?

Many thanks. If the answers to the above are positve, I will go get one today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back