Best portable or semi-portable DAC/AMP for the Sennheiser HD650
Sep 8, 2017 at 6:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Mompy7777

New Head-Fier
Hello guys,

What is the best combination of portable (or semi-portable) DAC/AMP for the Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX´s?

I need something that I can carry around in my backpack along with my laptop from work, I plan to use it 80% of the time on my laptop and 20% on my phone and I basically need to get the best sound possible from my cans

Also have in my collection a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M50x and Sennheiser HD518

I did my research and have on my watch the following options:

-CHORD Mojo
-iFi Micro iDSD Black Label
-Apogee GROOVE
-XDuoo XD05

Any suggestions? If you guys have a better option than these Im open to suggestions

Thanks in advance

Sep 8, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #2 of 5
I think the Chord Mojo is the best on the list, followed by the iDSD. I've heard neither but I've seen plenty of reviews/forum topics on them. I haven't heard much praise for the Groove and nothing about the Xduoo. Good luck with your choice!

Sep 8, 2017 at 6:41 PM Post #3 of 5
I have the 6xx's and the Chord Mojo and really don't like the pairing at all. It has plenty of power for them but I think it warms them up too much. Haven't heard them from too many portable rigs so can't say for sure on that. The only other one on your list I've heard is the Black Label but not with the 6xx's still and good and powerful.

Sep 8, 2017 at 11:20 PM Post #5 of 5
The Mojo isn't warm; the HD 650 is. Case in point: the HD 600 has more bass roll-off (than the HD 650) from the Mojo, just like it does with other neutral solid state electronics. (Though it sounds way better with the Mojo than with more affordable DAC/amps.) And other headphones with lighter bass aren't any heavier in the bass when driven from the Mojo.

I'm much more impressed by the Mojo than the iFi micro iDSD. However, I have not heard the Black Label edition.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back