Best Portable Headphones?
Jun 4, 2004 at 1:58 PM Post #17 of 76
I haven't tried the E3C, but I absolutely love the ER-6.
I think it's really comfortable, too.
eek.gif

Jun 4, 2004 at 2:55 PM Post #18 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by rt297
Microphonics are a non issue if you just use a shirt clip.

Perhaps there is some unique technique involved, but I always use the shirt clip and that doesn't totally eliminate microphonics. God knows I've tried a lot of methods (including running the cord through underneath my shirt) but the microphonics are still there.

Jun 4, 2004 at 3:09 PM Post #19 of 76
I generally carry my iPod in my front jeans pocket, and run the cord around and up my back (on the outside), and attach the clip to the top of my collar in the middle. Be sure to leave enough slack from the clip to your ears so they hang free. I shorten the run from the iPod to to the shirt clip using a Smartwrap. (Those things work very well btw) so that there is just enough slack that the jack doesn't pull free, but the cord can't move around much. It works for me.

Jun 4, 2004 at 9:43 PM Post #20 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by rt297
Microphonics are a non issue if you just use a shirt clip.

I strongly disagree about that at leat in my own situation, but maybe it's because I listen to my Ety's at so low volume.

Anyway, microphonics are not an issue to _everyone_ just to nit-pickers like me
smily_headphones1.gif

So, if possible, check it out before plunking down a lot of money. Maybe it's not an issue for you, but pre-check gives you peace of mind.

Jun 5, 2004 at 5:19 PM Post #21 of 76
I think I am going to find a store and see if I can try out these two headphones somewhere. The E3s and the ER6s look like the two ones of choice currently, so those will be the ones I try.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

EDIT:

I read both reviews and looked at some sites, and it apparently says that the ER-6s are meant to issolate you from all other sounds. This is not for me, then, because I want to be able to hear around me and talk to others while listening, and I also don't really like the sound of issolation headphones -- they put me in a different state of mind and therefore I hear everything differently
tongue.gif

Jun 5, 2004 at 5:38 PM Post #22 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman

This is not for me, then, because I want to be able to hear around me and talk to others while listening, and I also don't really like the sound of issolation headphones -- they put me in a different state of mind and therefore I hear everything differently
tongue.gif

All canal phones are designed for isolation. Some just more than others. If you want to hear conversations and other sounds, no canal phone will meet those requirements. You need a pair of supraural open cans, I suggest the Sennheiser PX100. You can get them discounted at eCost.com.

Jun 9, 2004 at 9:35 PM Post #23 of 76
I am using Sennheiser PX-100s off of a CMoy and they sound great.

Jun 9, 2004 at 10:01 PM Post #24 of 76
Another vote for the Koss KSC-35. I've tried the Shure E2, E3, and the Sony 888 and I prefer the Koss for sound quality. The music just feels so alive from them.

Jun 10, 2004 at 12:39 AM Post #25 of 76
get a koss ksc35 (sound better than the e2c in my opinion) when you don't need isolation or need to hear things around you. get the e2c also for situation where you need isolation. the are both small and easy to carry around.

if you get them use it will be about $100, buy them new it will be alittle more than $100.

Jun 10, 2004 at 1:12 AM Post #26 of 76
imho, ksc-35 is the workout headphone of the gods!

Jun 10, 2004 at 8:14 AM Post #27 of 76
I have two pairs of Etys and absolutely love them, but, if you're going to be walking around in public (as opposed to wandering around your house), I would strongly recommend against any 'phone that goes into the ear canal. It's just not safe to be out wandering around in the world with the isolation provided by all the canal 'phones. I'd stick with a standard ear bud style. For times when you can safely isolate yourself from the world, ER4's are highly recommended.

For those having microphonic problems with the Etys, the newer braided cord has significantly cut down on the microphonic problem. The set of ER4S's I recently came purchased came with the braided cord and it's made a world of difference.

Jun 12, 2004 at 2:49 PM Post #28 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
Hey Head-Fi!

I have a question. I have gone through a few portable headphones such as some crappy clip-on Sony's and a Koss behind-the-head headphone, but they were uncomfortable in some way or another and the sound quality was just not up to par. I am now going to be serious about my portable audio, and I have this question to ask:

With approximately a $100 USD budget, what would be the best portable headphone for me?Aman

My vote would be the Senn PX 100 for the budget and you would spare some for a HEADSAVE Vibe...
icon10.gif

Jun 12, 2004 at 8:37 PM Post #29 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patchmaster
For those having microphonic problems with the Etys, the newer braided cord has significantly cut down on the microphonic problem. The set of ER4S's I recently came purchased came with the braided cord and it's made a world of difference.

I have the new ETYs with the latest "non-microphonic" cord. I don't know how much more microphonic the original cord was, but for me, this cord is _very_ microphonic.

I've also tried shirt clip (helps very littel), wrapping cords around my ears (helps some) and inserting the phones only slightly to ear canals (neglible difference).

I also recommend PX-100 as a cheap / decent sounding alternative, that is also safer than ETYs (i.e. don't make you deaf to outside noise) are non-microphonic and can be used while running (at least on my head).

Jun 12, 2004 at 9:10 PM Post #30 of 76
Koss KSC-35 and then in a week or two move up to Ety4s when you have enough cash!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back