Best portable headphones that don't require AMP or DAC
May 4, 2016 at 12:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

DMTwisted

New Head-Fier
Hey, I'm pretty new to headphones and I'm looking to get my first pair that will make me want to pursue a hobby in headphones.

This is my criteria:

-Closed Back
-Good on the move, plane,train etc
- No AMP or DAC required to sound amazing
-Great for all music types
- A sound that will blow me away and will totally immerse me
- UNDER $400

THE SOUND IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART.
I'm looking at the OPPO pm-3 at the moment. I really want the best sounding pair I can get for the money

THANKS GUYS

May 5, 2016 at 5:49 PM Post #2 of 7
If you're looking for reviews on the PM-3, Jude's review of the PM-3 in the Head-Fi Buying Guide is right here.

I've been using the Master & Dynamic MH40 lately, and I've found to be an enjoyable closed-back headphone. While I've been using it a lot at my desk with the Fostex HP-A4 and the JDS Labs The Element, I've had no issues using it from my iPhone 6+. (You can ready the Buying Guide entry for the MH40 and it's on-ear sibling MH30 right here.)

May 5, 2016 at 6:34 PM Post #3 of 7
You might also check out the M2 Over, the NAD HP50, and the B&W P7. It's possible one of those could suit you--all have quite different sound signatures but very high SQ overall. Personally, my preference would be for the Momentum, but that's just me. Good luck. :)

May 5, 2016 at 11:20 PM Post #4 of 7
Usually best not to start a new thread on essentially the same topic while you still have an active one.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/807133/best-portable-headphones-that-dont-require-amp-or-dac

It does make it harder for you to get help, as people might not read the other thread and know what's been discussed :)

May 8, 2016 at 12:39 AM Post #5 of 7
Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 over-ear.
Oppo PM-3.

Simply read up on those options until you decide which one suits your needs better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back