Best portable headphones <$100
Sep 5, 2009 at 8:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

ruch182

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for some full size portable headphones - can i have some recommendations for some that are quite sturdy and foldable so they're "travel resistant"?

i know nothing about headphones to be honest but already own ath on3s which are ok quality wise, but i mainly got them for the looks. I'll be using an old ipod mainly as the sound source.

Sep 5, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #2 of 16
Sep 5, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #3 of 16
Sep 5, 2009 at 11:57 PM Post #6 of 16
It's likely, I wouldn't buy any ES7's that are coming from China.

I remember there was a thread distinguishing the differences between real and fake ES7's, too lazy to search for it though.

Sep 6, 2009 at 1:53 PM Post #10 of 16
Yeh i agree they don't look that portable and look a bit too chunky. I listen to quite a range of music from rock/metal to hip hop to drum and bass - can the es7 handle it with only an ipod powering it?

Sep 6, 2009 at 2:12 PM Post #11 of 16
The ES 7 is fine, it is easy enough to drive. If you are looking at phones that don't fold up such as the ES 7, also consider the iGrado, which is relatively inexpensive, light and gives good SQ in that price range.

Sep 6, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #12 of 16
I recommend either the Klipsch S4i or the NuForce NM-7 if you plan to use them without a portable amp. I own the both of them myself. The NuForce has bigger soundstage and a slightly better highs. Thoug the Klipsch are more comfortable and has a better remote...

Sep 6, 2009 at 5:04 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kobra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recommend either the Klipsch S4i or the NuForce NM-7 if you plan to use them without a portable amp. I own the both of them myself. The NuForce has bigger soundstage and a slightly better highs. Thoug the Klipsch are more comfortable and has a better remote...

cheers but i'm looking for some cans as opposed to in ear ones

i'm asking $100 cos i'm going to america on holiday soon and obviously you can pick up most things a lot cheaper there

Sep 6, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ruch182 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
cheers but i'm looking for some cans as opposed to in ear ones

...sorry, I missed that
rolleyes.gif
have you looked at the Denon AH-D 1001 ?
smile_phones.gif

Sep 7, 2009 at 4:33 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaw2ek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are the shures really that portable?

If people don't specify supra-aural, I consider anything that is collapsible to be eminently portable, even if circumaural. Whether you would wear it in public is another matter, but you can easily port it around. Unlike, say, the K 702 or HD 650. But now we know the OP is leaning towards supra-aural. I was thrown off by his request for "full-size" -- which I think he means in contradistinction to IEMs, rather than circumaural.

As for the Denon AH-D1001, they don't fold and I would hesitate to call them sturdy. I would suggest looking at the ATH-FC700A. Sturdy does not really describe them, but I do think they are durable, if you get my distinction. Would save you some money. Of course, you might like the ES7 better. They are more of a statement, visually, though. Depends on what appeals to you. I haven't finished burning my ES7 in, so I can't compare the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back