Best portable headphone under 400?
Jun 7, 2015 at 10:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

wilfred2211

New Head-Fier
Hello, I have been lurking around on Head-Fi for around 6 months, and I have just now created an account because I need help. I have saved up $400 for a new pair of headphones. Now here is my problem:

What pair of low impedance, portable headphones should I buy?

So, I came here for your guys' help. Now, I listen to a lot of rock (The White Stripes, Led Zeppelin, Nirvana, Pink Floyd, etc) and also a bit of rap/rock (Hollywood Undead, Flobots), all are either 320 kbps MP3's or ALAC's. I would like forward mids and nice, unobtrusive bass that has good impact. My ears aren't sensitive at all, so fatigue really isn't a problem. And I would love if they were comfortable (or be able to throw some HM5 pleather pads on them). And I blast my music relatively loudly.

What I am currently considering:
- V-Moda M100 
- Blue Mo-Fi
- Sennheiser Momentum 2
- Audio-Tehcnica Ath-MSR7
But I am very open to more suggestions. MUST be closed, though.

Also, if the headphone is around 300 but needs a little more power, my friend is selling his SMSL Sap-4S for a reasonable price, so I wouldn't mind buying that. 

I'll say thank you in advance, so, thank you!

Jun 8, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #3 of 9
I got to try the Focal Spirit Classic, abd straight out of my phone it sounded a little bit better than the K550 - the percussion popped out more and the bass drum had more low end body. Midrange is a touch warmer though while the K550 is a little bit more neutral. 

Jun 8, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #5 of 9
The NAD HP50 is a great headphone indeed.
The Focal headphones are also very good, but for you I wouldn't recommend the Spirit Pro. I think those are too neutral for you.

I have the X1 myself and use it with the on-ear Beyerdynamic t51p. It's a great headphone with a sound signature very similar to the one you described, but with a budget of $400 and over-ears you can do better.

You could also consider the very portable and nice looking Bowers & Wilkins P7. It sounds very good too. I'd prefer the Focal myself, but that's because I like

If you are going for Momentums, think about whether the new model is really worth twice the price of the first model. It's folding mechanism, the better ear pads and improved sound might be worth it, but you might be happy enough  with the 'old' version for $170.

Jun 8, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #6 of 9
Oppo PM3 - best combination of SQ, build quality, and other stuff like looks and isolation in a portable headphone.  HP50 sounds good but is awful in comfort and looks.  P7 has the build quality but doesn't sound as good as PM3 unless you really want the V-shaped sound.

Jun 9, 2015 at 2:16 AM Post #7 of 9
  Oppo PM3 - best combination of SQ, build quality, and other stuff like looks and isolation in a portable headphone.  HP50 sounds good but is awful in comfort and looks.  P7 has the build quality but doesn't sound as good as PM3 unless you really want the V-shaped sound.

I thought about the PM-3 as well, but it is over $550 where I live, so I disregarded it. Now I know it's $399 in the USA.
The PM-3 is quite neutral though, so I think that for Wilfred's preferences the more punchy Denon AH-MM400 is better (that one is also very expensive here, but it's $399 in the USA).

Jun 9, 2015 at 2:45 AM Post #8 of 9
For me I would get something from sennheiser like the urbanite or momentum. I would advise not getting the blue mo-fi. It's very uncomfortable from what I've heard. You could also check the beyerdynamic dt series. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back