Best portable headphone for about $30?
Mar 8, 2006 at 9:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

Headphoneus Supremus
I need a good set of headphones for portable use with my iPod, unamped. I can spend about $30. It dosn't matter what kind they are, IEM or over ear, it makes no difference. The only guidelines are it has to be around $30 (and no, not $40), and it can't be really big. I don't want anything big and bulky that will be hard to shove in a backpack and that will stand out. I have used the search function, but there are just so many options, and I no nothing of lower end headphones. Thanks for your help!

EDIT:
Also, I don't want anything with a really long cord.

Mar 8, 2006 at 9:51 PM Post #3 of 34
Easy solution: Koss KSC75. It's generally considered around here to be the best headphone in it's class, and even more by some people. There's a guy selling a couple of barely used KSC75s for $13 shipped (each) in the Headphones For Sale forum here. If you hurry you might be able to grab a last pair. Good luck.

Here's a link to the thread:

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=167884

Mar 8, 2006 at 9:57 PM Post #4 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_X
They smell faintly like marijuana

No thanks. I can get them for around $15 shipped brand new anyway. Any other suggestions? I searched for the KSC35, I can't find anything on it.

Mar 8, 2006 at 10:00 PM Post #6 of 34
I considered that faint smell a bonus.
icon10.gif

About the only place you can find the KSC35 now is on eBay or here. Save yourself the trouble and grab the 75 for $15. You won't be sorry. Be aware though that some retailers, Radio Shack for example, are selling a slight variant on the KSC75 that has a cord with an inline volume control. From what I've read it can be a PITA and my personal preference would be to get a pair without it.

Mar 8, 2006 at 10:05 PM Post #9 of 34
What are the differences between them? How do you "mod" a KSC75? I don't want to purchase anything but the headphone.

Mar 8, 2006 at 10:07 PM Post #10 of 34
They're both much better cans than they have any right to be at their pricepoint. Does the KSC35 sound better than the KSC75? Totally a judgement call. You'd have to listen to both to find out which one you like better, but they're VERY similiar. One design feature that the KSC75 has over the KSC35 are bendable ear clips. The 35's are plastic and fixed, so you can't conform them to your ears. The 75's clips can be molded to your taste and they tend to fit better as a result. Certainly an important consideration for clip-ons.

Mar 8, 2006 at 10:13 PM Post #14 of 34
Consider the Sennheiser MX500 earbud available at many places for under $15. Short cord, nice wind up case, good sound for an earbud. Heck, you could get the MX500 and the KSC75 for under $30. You might wind up spending $2 more for replacment foamies for the MX500 - some of us have found that the slightly thicker pad adds a great deal of bass.

Mar 8, 2006 at 10:20 PM Post #15 of 34
Ok, this is getting hard. I can not get both the MX500 and KSC75 for under $30. I can only get one. I mainly listen to death metal, metal, rock, and rap. Which one would best fit my needs? Also, do either of these leak sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back