BEST PORTABLE HEADPHONE AMP
Nov 19, 2012 at 2:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

iamaustralian

New Head-Fier
Hi Head-Fi,
I'm rather new to the audiophile side of the web and after much browsing and consolidating, i decided to buy the Beyerdynamic DT770 80 ohm. So my question is "what is the best headphone amp for the DT770"
If required i listen to mainly RnB, Hip Hop, Pop, Country, Soft Rock, Pop Rock.

My main source will be my iPod Nano 6th Gen and Laptop. 

NOTE: It needs to work with my PS3 as i will be using them for Gaming also

Also my budget is $100 but if there is one considerable better than the ones in my budget i can reach up to $150

Thanks

BTW I HAVE THE L9 LOD

Nov 20, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #5 of 14
Which is the Fred's amp in that store that was spoken highly off in the 100 dollar amp roundup?
Thanks.

Nov 20, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #6 of 14
I'd try contacting Fred directly to see what fits your needs. It looks like he's got a couple variants of the dual-chip units there, potentially with differences in volume pot, sockets, and also a rechargeable version.

Nov 22, 2012 at 4:11 AM Post #8 of 14
I'd prefer a pre built amp and do you think the fred cmoy is substantially better than the fiio e11 and worth the 40 price difference? Also are there any other amps better than the ones mentioned that would suit my needs.
Cheers

Nov 22, 2012 at 4:34 AM Post #9 of 14
For $150, the best option is the O2. It will cost less if you can solder stuff yourself.

Nov 23, 2012 at 5:00 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:
For $150, the best option is the O2. It will cost less if you can solder stuff yourself.

Don't get me wrong but i think that the O2 is a bit too big and out of my budget. I have now limited my budget to $100 now and it is most likely going to be the e11 now.
Thanks for replying though.

Quote:
I still like rsa 71 b who has sold me a 

Not sure what your trying to say could you please explain

Nov 23, 2012 at 6:09 AM Post #12 of 14
Yeah, I think E11 is your best option, unless you want to look at the E7 for it's dac on your computer.

Nov 23, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #14 of 14
Thanks, yes i think i will be getting the e11 but how does it compare against the 3 channel fred cmoy? Is the sound quality worth the upgrade from the e11 seeing that it is $40 extra? 

I think you'll know where the extra money went on E11, much better build quality, more features such as low/high power modes, low/high gain, the two bass boost eq settings. E11 is a touch warm in signature and the Cmoy's tend to be a rather neutral. Personally owning one of each in the past. go for the E11, you'll have more fun in the long run. :smile:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back