Best portable headphone amp?
Jun 28, 2001 at 12:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

amaynard

New Head-Fier
I notice that with mains powered amps the HeadRoom models seem to struggle against the competition. But what about portable units? What is there out there that compares with the TA, supreme etc?

Jun 28, 2001 at 1:35 AM Post #3 of 13
Isn't the Corda amp portable? What about Cmoy's amp, and a lot of those DIY amps are sure to be better than TAs...

Jun 28, 2001 at 1:41 AM Post #4 of 13
Don't forget the Grado RA-1...

Jun 28, 2001 at 2:08 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by chych
Isn't the Corda amp portable? What about Cmoy's amp, and a lot of those DIY amps are sure to be better than TAs...

In danger of showing up my ignorance... where can I get info. on the Corda?

Thanks

Jun 28, 2001 at 2:53 AM Post #7 of 13
Yeah, I suggest that everyone wait before getting a portable amp unit Jan's comes out. I had the (original) Cosmic and thought it sounded okay, but not good enough for a $549 amp. If the portable Corda comes out, it might have a better value; the Corda HA-1 (non-portable amp) seems to have great value for the money. I just hope that the amp won't have a huge plastic battery pack that connects to the amp by a long, thin cord (like the Supreme and Cosmic).

Jul 2, 2001 at 1:55 AM Post #8 of 13
Well, IMHO the Cmoy is a excellent amp. Even if you build it "stock", I.E. none of the Apheared modifications, like I did, it still sounds EXCELLENT. And cheap, too. $30 if you've got the tools and shop around. I know that my Cmoy makes my McIntosh headphone out look bad-until I plug my Cmoy into it!
cool.gif

Jul 8, 2001 at 8:45 AM Post #10 of 13
or any other info? will it have the adjustable x-feed and the two output resitance options of the HA-1?

Jul 10, 2001 at 1:11 AM Post #12 of 13
It's a great freakin amp. It's an expensive freakin amp too. It's up to you if it's worth it. "Worth" isn't something someone else can decide for you...

Cost aside, it's a solid unit. I like it. I like the way it's built, I like the way it sounds. If you want a dual duty amp because you can only afford one, this is what I'd get. With the gain switch you can drive pretty much anything to Apheared volumes.

They should rename it MaxJr.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back