Best portable full-size cans for iPod Classic
Aug 21, 2011 at 5:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

muzikfrrrik

Head-Fier
Hi.

I'd like to get some advice on buying a new pair of headphones. I've had only two cans so far, both by Philips under 50 euros. The ones I'm using at present are Philips SHL9560.

These are my requirements:
* neutral - I don't like the sound to be coloured, want to hear it they way it was intended to be heard
* balanced - sound in tandem without any of the zones (bass,mids,highs) being emphasised or over-emphasised
* providing great detail
* closed - i'm going to use them mostly outside
* over-ear not on-ear
* preferably the best soundstage for a closed can
* detachable cable would be nice but it's not important

I'm going to use them with my iPod classic 2009 and Sony Vaio so I don't plan to buy a headphone amplifier. I listen to a wide variety of music including jazz, swing, blues, pop, hip hop, r'n'b, rock, metal, chillout, lounge. I can spend max about 200 euros on headphones, but cheaper options wouldn't go amiss, as I'm not sure if i'm able to fully appreciate the sound quality coming out of them. Maybe a pair for 100 euros will sound to me as good as one for 200 euros.

Thanks in advance.

Aug 21, 2011 at 5:54 AM Post #2 of 7
Slightly out of your price range, but I'd look into

Beyerdynamic DT1350 (approx. 250 euros)

Audio Technica M50 (approx. 160 euros)

Sennheiser HD25 II (approx. 160 euros)

Happy can hunting.

Aug 21, 2011 at 6:02 AM Post #3 of 7
Checking out Beyerdynamic DT1350 specifications it seems to be they are not for use with iPod because of 80oms impedance. and one more thing, I prefer over-ear headphones to on-ear ones.

Aug 21, 2011 at 7:22 AM Post #4 of 7
Have a look at the Beyerdynamic DT235 too. A very good over ear can for the money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back