Best Portable Circumaural Closed Headphones?
Jun 26, 2008 at 2:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

ZephyrSapphire

Headphoneus Supremus
As title says. I'm looking for the best portable circumaural headphones

Best as in SQ-wise.

Firstly, yes I've used the search function and to no avail, I found nothing matching what I need.
Secondly, no budget, as in, can't care about the price.
Thirdly, no thanks on IEM recommendations.

Cheers & thanks in advance
biggrin.gif

Jun 26, 2008 at 11:28 PM Post #2 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZephyrSapphire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As title says. I'm looking for the best portable circumaural headphones

no thanks on IEM recommendations.

Think you took a wrong turn back aways, bud....

There's nothing for you here....

wink.gif

(Oh alright, I was too mean. Take a look in the full size forum. All I can think of closed is supra-aural ES7 or one of the smaller Sonys)

No budget eh? That'll be fun....

Jun 27, 2008 at 2:49 AM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Think you took a wrong turn back aways, bud....

There's nothing for you here....

wink.gif

(Oh alright, I was too mean. Take a look in the full size forum. All I can think of closed is supra-aural ES7 or one of the smaller Sonys)

No budget eh? That'll be fun....

No budget as in I don't care about the price.
And I've already got a pair of IEMs.
Just wanna try something new
wink.gif

And waddya mean I took a wrong turn??
This sub-forum is for portable headphones y'know?
wink.gif

Jun 27, 2008 at 9:42 AM Post #4 of 18
Yeah it is in title, but so far seems to be IEM/canalphone oriented. Whereas ES7, SR60/80, the smaller Senns etc are still over in full size, & with a larger audience to boot.

No restriction on budget? Man, happy shopping!

Jun 27, 2008 at 9:50 AM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Yeah it is in title, but so far seems to be IEM/canalphone oriented. Whereas ES7, SR60/80, the smaller Senns etc are still over in full size, & with a larger audience to boot.

No restriction on budget? Man, happy shopping!

True, but yeah, I can try. I tried the ES7's at the Apple store and God, were they horrible. Oh well. Maybe I'll get used to Supra aural one day. But not now.

Jun 27, 2008 at 9:57 AM Post #6 of 18
ES7 can sound bad initially -burn in really opens them out.

Does it have to be closed?

Jun 27, 2008 at 10:00 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

ES7 can sound bad initially -burn in really opens them out.

Does it have to be closed?

Yes, closed. I need it for commuting and traveling.

And the ES7 was already out of the question to begin with. They're supra aural!
biggrin.gif

Jun 27, 2008 at 10:08 AM Post #8 of 18
LOL!

Good luck in yr hunt
smily_headphones1.gif
There must be some portable circums out there...somewhere.

Jun 27, 2008 at 11:11 AM Post #10 of 18
I count these as portable, I really like my K81DJ's

Jun 27, 2008 at 1:56 PM Post #11 of 18
- Denon AH-D1000 (Comfty, Detailed, Poor isolation)
- Audio-Technica M50 (Good looking, Decent sound, Good isolation)
- Ultrasone HFI-780 (Never tried them)

Jun 29, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #13 of 18
I'm in exactly the same situation as the OP (although I have set myself a budget, of up to £90).

For me, the ATH-M50 will probably be the way to go, considering that what I've read about the sound, both of the M50 and audio-technica generally, seems impressive (coming from my Sennheiser HD485, the more forward treble and mids should be suited to my tastes). There's also the fact that the M50 is IMO stylish enough to be used on the move and very well-built (some people have voiced concerns about breaking headbands, but that issue seems limited to the ATH-PRO700 - I've read lots of complaints about broken PRO700s on Amazon etc., but nothing about the M50. Besides, the construction of the troublesome area - where the cups attach to the headband - seems to differ between the two models).

Other headphones that I've read about and considered for this purpose include Sennheiser HD280, Equation Audio RP-21 or RP-22X, M-Audio Q40, Beyerdynamic DT770, audio-technica ATH-ES7 (or ATH-ESW9, but I think they're both supra-aural) and Denon AH-D1000 or AH-D1001. A slightly more unconventional choice, if you really have no budget, might be the Ultrasone Edition 9 (although the prospect of carrying them around and putting them at risk is terrifying
tongue.gif
)

Bear in mind that I'm just a lowly n00b, if you will, and my opinions are formed only from what I've read here and on other sites. Unfortunately, headphone audio is quite hard to come by around here, so I personally haven't heard any of the headphones I'm considering. Erk...

By the way, if anyone's had the chance to compare the M50 and D1000 sonically, please post your thoughts.

Jun 29, 2008 at 5:25 PM Post #14 of 18
Well this is rare. x2 for Beyer DT250. Not many people talk about them. ugly as hell (so no one will want to steal it) but sounds great. Though it has less bass then my DT770, I prefer it more for travel. It has a detachable onesided cable from the left ear cup so you won't have any worries of the cable getting ruined. The clamp is not too tight and it has comfy velour pads. Blocks quite a bit of outside noise and keeps in the music so no one around you will get annoyed.

I got mine a few months back for around $150 shipped.

GL on your headphone search.
biggrin.gif

Jun 29, 2008 at 10:12 PM Post #15 of 18
If you have small ears like me then the ESW9 fits nicely around your ears. They don't isolate very well but they're a great sounding pair of headphones, if a little pricey. The great look of the wood doesn't hurt too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back