Best portable amp that can be used in a home rig?
Apr 2, 2004 at 10:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

veritas

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I was wondering (since I'm going to be getting an amp), what amp do you think is the best for not only portable use (fairly small) but that can also hold its own in a home rig?

My portable rig is currently D-E905 -> AMP -> HD580 (or K271)

I don't have a dedicated cd player at the moment, but I plan on getting one sometime in the future and I don't want to make any exorbitant investments. Thanks!

BTW, my budget is less than 250.

Apr 2, 2004 at 1:38 PM Post #2 of 21
Veritas --

You are describing the Emmeline XP-7 verbatim.
biggrin.gif

Great for portable use, but can hold it's own at home.

Ray Samuels gets my vote!

Scott

Apr 2, 2004 at 2:01 PM Post #3 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by BANGPOD
Veritas --

You are describing the Emmeline XP-7 verbatim.
biggrin.gif

Great for portable use, but can hold it's own at home.

Ray Samuels gets my vote!

Scott

second that
widely regarded as the only portable amp with home rig capa.

Apr 2, 2004 at 2:44 PM Post #4 of 21
i guess the PR would fit the bill now too?

Apr 2, 2004 at 9:35 PM Post #5 of 21
Another vote for the XP7. You can opamp roll and tailor the sound to your needs.

I use mine for home use, but if I ever had the urge to go (trans)portable the XP7 is ready to go.

Ray is a great guy to deal with.

Regards - reynman

Apr 2, 2004 at 9:54 PM Post #6 of 21
all these suggestions are true to the title of the thread...i'd put my vote in for the PR (once i get mine i'll know for sure)...

but, he says his budget is $250...for this price, what is the best?

Apr 2, 2004 at 10:30 PM Post #9 of 21
Thanks for the replies guys! I think I'm leaning towards the pimeta, only because I don't have the 500+ to shell out for an XP-7, although I must say that it is very tempting. Anyways, what specifications would you recommend for the pimeta? I don't know very much about specifics. I tried to read up on it, but it all went over my head. Laymen terms would be awesome!! THANKS!

Apr 2, 2004 at 11:11 PM Post #10 of 21
If you go for a PIMETA, then personally, I think that you should talk to an amp-builder about building one tailored for you. JMT, Norm (Tigger) at Headsave, MisterX (as sleepkyng mentioned), and several others, would be pleased to discuss the details and tailor an amp for your needs.

D.

Apr 2, 2004 at 11:44 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by kugino
all these suggestions are true to the title of the thread...i'd put my vote in for the PR (once i get mine i'll know for sure)...

but, he says his budget is $250...for this price, what is the best?

Kugino --

Yes, he says his budget is $250... But, that is NOW...
What will happen when the headphone plague hits?
At that time, he will be ill-willed and unprepared...

We need to prepare him adequately! TO THE XP-7!

evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
I love spending the money of others!
evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Scott

Apr 3, 2004 at 1:11 AM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by sleepkyng
If you talk to Mister X, just say, hey i've got 250 bucks, how badass can i makes this puppy,

he'll do the rest!
biggrin.gif

veritas --

The above recommendation is fair enough!
I say, "do that!" It can't hurt... Or can it?
wink.gif

But seriously, the above looks like the best bet.

It has my vote... Find a dedicated builder...

Scott

May 7, 2004 at 2:02 PM Post #14 of 21
In my opinion, you really should consider the Meier Porta Corda II. You can configure the DIP switches to bias to class A operation, and disable the LED. Then, pop one of the FANTASTIC Plainview 9.6v batteries inside, hook it up with the included Oehlbach cable, and you're all set. I got mine for $205 new. The PlainView 9.6v is about $10 headsave.com also has a charger that is real cheap (can't remember the price). Meier also includes a 120 Ohm adapter for output, so that you can choose between 0 and 120.

Quote:

Originally Posted by veritas
Hi, I was wondering (since I'm going to be getting an amp), what amp do you think is the best for not only portable use (fairly small) but that can also hold its own in a home rig?

My portable rig is currently D-E905 -> AMP -> HD580 (or K271)

I don't have a dedicated cd player at the moment, but I plan on getting one sometime in the future and I don't want to make any exorbitant investments. Thanks!

BTW, my budget is less than 250.

May 7, 2004 at 2:13 PM Post #15 of 21
The Porta Corda II can also be powered directly from the wall outlet via an adaptor and can be used with voltages as high as 26 V (IIRC) - the higher the voltage, the better for the sound. Check the "User manual" available in PDF on the Meier Audio site for more information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back