Best Portable Amp for UE 11 PRO
Oct 26, 2008 at 2:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Midnighttown

Head-Fier
I just got my customs and the sound, sound good but not that great when im just using an Apple Ipod Classic 160gig (headphone jack) with ALAC files... i know my monitors doesnt reach its full potential i think it needs some amplifiers.. but which one?

Oct 26, 2008 at 2:22 PM Post #2 of 13
SR-71A imo, they pair well.

Oct 26, 2008 at 2:34 PM Post #3 of 13
I don't have the sr-71a, but I have no doubt it's phenomenal.

I received my UE-11s in July and while I was waiting for them to arrive, I called Ray, asking for an amp recommendation. He said the Predator would suit me nicely, esp since I was using my laptop. I'm very VERY happy with the Predator (although I'm dying to know what a Pico sounds like
ksc75smile.gif
)

If you do some searches, you'll find some other recommendations of high quality amps that may suit your needs as well

Oct 26, 2008 at 8:30 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkkopi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SR-71A imo, they pair well.

Darkkopi, which gain setting are you using with your UE-11's?

Do you hear a difference in upper frequency response (transients, air, ambience) between the low and medium gain settings?

If so, how would you describe it?

Oct 26, 2008 at 10:33 PM Post #5 of 13
At 18ohms, if you really need an amp that bad for the UE-11 your iPod must have a really crappy output...

Oct 27, 2008 at 7:34 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by the_eleven /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Do you hear a difference in upper frequency response (transients, air, ambience) between the low and medium gain settings?

I've always been using the low gain for my ue11 as it's quite hard to adjust volume on the med/high gain so I have yet to try them though.

Oct 28, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by i_don't_know /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At 18ohms, if you really need an amp that bad for the UE-11 your iPod must have a really crappy output...

the iPod does...

Oct 28, 2008 at 8:27 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by the_eleven /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hey 11,

Based on our PM's together during the last couple days, I've been AB'ing between the low and medium gain settings. I was surprised to find that the UE-11's sound more airy and that the treble was clearer and more pronounced on the medium setting than it was on the low settings (after adjusting for the difference in loudness which I was trying to discount). Also, the bass seemed more "murky" on the low setting than on the medium gain setting.

Please let us know what your experiences have been over the last few days!

Thanks

Leo

Oct 29, 2008 at 3:48 AM Post #9 of 13
Yep, that is exactly what I am hearing.

The distance and position of instruments is different as well. Things seem more focused on the medium setting.

The difference between the gain settings seems less apparent as the amp burns in. Around 300 hours now.

Should not the cap forming be independent form the gain settings?

Oct 29, 2008 at 7:22 AM Post #10 of 13
The synergy between the UE11 and Predator is outstanding; if you love tight, full-bodied bass, then the beautiful low end of the Predator really unleashes the full potential of the subwoofer in your UE11s!!

Oct 29, 2008 at 3:57 PM Post #11 of 13
I have tried the Pico, Predator, and iQube all with the UE11's and prefer myself the iQube. I gravitate towards the iQube's control over the lower marks in the FR and more transparent sound signature.

To my ears, the bass on the UE needs no oomph or extra "punch", which the Predator provides to the UE11's. I think the Predator's ability to bring out the high's in certain phones is a strength for many but not needed with the UE11's. This said, UE's highs and MR marks are thrown off or accented in terms of the balance and presentation using the Predator.

I really liked the Pico the best for its looks and compact size VS Pred/iQube. Where my opinions will be applied is per the Amp section of the Pico VS others. I think that amp section alone that the Pico's reproduction of vocals and overall tonal range is bested by the iQube. The Pico's amp section is very good but the Predator's presentation makes for a more involving session, and is slightly better to my ears. This said, the emotional effect that the Predator encompasses is not great for all genres and tends to smear many types of music into the same sound. I think that the Pico's treble sounds a bit artificial or tinny VS the Lisa (not considered portable) and/or the iQube. Realism is a big factor for my music preferences, and in this respect, the Pico is defeated by the iQube due to the increased transparency. I do enjoy the more expanded stereo image of the Pico VS the Predator, although the latitude of the iQube is every bit as spacious or perhaps large. I do not use the DAC section enough to worry about AB'g VS the iQube, however, utilizing the DAC of the Pico really is awesome for the price..and with the UE11 (DAC route hardly portable) Source will vary.

It is also worthy of noting that of the three mentioned amps above that the iQube provides perhaps the largest space back to front imaging, which compliments the UE11's 3d sound signature. Since the UE11 has the largest out head signature VS every other IEM I have tried, the enhanced depth of sound staging is a bonus not overlooked in my transportable world. This helps especially with Classical, Jazz, Soundtracks, and Binaural recordings..among others.

I think too that the UE11 sounds superb straight out of the 2G Touch HP out for casual listening of 320KB and Lossless, FWIW.

Oct 29, 2008 at 4:09 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by i_don't_know /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Damn straight it does!

But also keep in mind amplification is not only for extra volume.

Oct 29, 2008 at 5:37 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiofiler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think too that the UE11 sounds superb straight out of the 2G Touch HP out for casual listening of 320KB and Lossless, FWIW.

I have to agree with this too. I tried comparing the 2G classic, 4G nano and 2G touch hp out using my ue11 and find than the 2G touch is the best sounding among all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back