Best portable amp for sub bass?
Nov 17, 2018 at 11:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

waytoodeep03

Head-Fier
is there a portable amp that really helps in the sub bass department? Wouod it he tube or solid state? Sony or something else?

I like watching movies but would like a little more oomph with my sub bass through my zmf eikons.

Budget is 499

Nov 27, 2018 at 3:42 PM Post #2 of 3
is there a portable amp that really helps in the sub bass department? Wouod it he tube or solid state? Sony or something else?

I like watching movies but would like a little more oomph with my sub bass through my zmf eikons.

Budget is 499

I probably wouldn't get a tube amp specifically for sub bass performance. Probably would look for a powerful solid-state amp. Are you looking for a bass boost option as well? The Fiio A5 and Cayin C5 are both well-reviewed, and folks seem to like their implementations of bass boost. I haven't tried them myself, though. iFi xCAN probably also worth a look, especially if you've got a balanced cable. It has multiple options for bass adjustment and initial reviews are very positive for driving full-size headphones. (But again, I haven't personally heard it.)

Out of the portable amps I have, the Ray Samuels SR71-A that I recently picked up on CL probably has the most notably good bass performance. Not necessarily elevated, but very clean and well controlled. No EQ options, but always pleased by bass performance of whatever I plug into it.

Dec 9, 2018 at 8:33 AM Post #3 of 3
The headstage arrow has the best bass boost options ive heard for a portable. Problem is, it takes forever from order to get it. My arrow 5 beats my Cayin C5 handily. If you see a used one, dont hesitate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back