Best portable amp for Grados?
post-1392554
Post #1 of 17

samlasker

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
A friend told me about this great forum. I've spent the last couple of days reading up on various amp designs, different op ams, caps, and so on... Needless to say, I'm totally confused!
OK, I'll start my diy efforts with a simple cmoy.

That said though what I really want to know is what people think is the best portable headphone amp for Grados and why. To qualify as portable, I think the amp should run for at least eight hours on two 9V batteries, perhaps a bit more in the battery compartment, and fit in a (roomy) pocket.

post-1392567
Post #2 of 17

Sugano-san

1000+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Quote:

Originally Posted by samlasker
A friend told me about this great forum. I've spent the last couple of days reading up on various amp designs, different op ams, caps, and so on... Needless to say, I'm totally confused!
OK, I'll start my diy efforts with a simple cmoy.

That said though what I really want to know is what people think is the best portable headphone amp for Grados and why. To qualify as portable, I think the amp should run for at least eight hours on two 9V batteries, perhaps a bit more in the battery compartment, and fit in a (roomy) pocket.

The Xin Supermacro-3. Because of its sound.

post-1392587
Post #3 of 17

samlasker

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
But the supermacro comes assembled and all, right? I had kinda hoped for an opportunity to curse as I fry various components and go through yards of desoldering braid.
Supermacro's better than diy projects for $350?

post-1392597
Post #4 of 17

n_maher

Resistorous Conflagorous
Reaction score
My advice, take it for what it's worth (not much
)

Step 1: Build a Cmoy - just for practice.

Step 2: Build a MINT with an OPA2227 and see if it's performance matches your expectations. I happen to think that it's a great portable amp for my Grados and is pretty dang cheap to build. Will it best a $400 SR-71, no, but then again it'll only cost you $60 to build

Step 3: Hide your wallet, forget this site, move on, be happy, have money.

HTH,

Nate

post-1392608
Post #5 of 17

Porksoda

500+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
I second the MINT recommendation, or perhaps a PIMETA. PIMETAs get a bad rap for being harsh, but once they burn in they are nice and smoooooth if you have the right op-amps

post-1392619
Post #6 of 17

thrice

Member of the Trade:Rockhopper Audio
Reaction score
I would second what n_maher said. If you are looking to get into this hobby (headphones and DIY) cut your teeth on a CMOY and go from there.

The MINT and PIMETA amps are pretty flexible since you can choose different op amps. The PIMETA might be a better choice since you can socket the op amps and roll them where the MINT has SOIC pads and that makes rolling a pain if not unreasonable.

You can also roll op amps in a CMOY as well, so it's a great little amp to get started.

post-1392739
Post #7 of 17

robbneu

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
Sam,

You can get very good performance out of a "entry-level" C-Moy that will really compliment your Grados. I've built a number of C-Moys, using Tangent's instructions, and have been very pleased with the sound, although I'm starting to hear the murkiness of the OPA2132PA amp and will be trying out the OPA227 on my next "batch" of C-Moys.

After completing my first C-Moy, I quickly bought a Pimeta and crossfed board from Tangent, but haven't touched them since getting them in the mail a year or so ago. I thought it would be more benefical for me to really start to understand the C-Moy circuit before moving on and so I've built a number of C-Moys, with more parts on the way, and plan to eventually move to the MINT, before trying a Pimeta. If you're really interested in the hobby and want to learn, I would recommend going a little slow. The C-Moy might be a little limited, but I've been having a blast with it and have really enjoyed working on them. As I said, they provide pretty good sound with Grados.

Robb

post-1392757
Post #8 of 17

ajt976

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
I've also used both my cMoy and Pimeta with my Grados. My cans benefit greatly from both amps. I would start out with a cMoy, but do some research and find the right op amp for you to start with (I hear some are more forgiving than others). It shouldn't be to awful hard to build and they are very cheap, so if you burn up some parts they won't be expensive to replace. Also, thrice makes a good point in that you CAN roll the op amps in the cMoy to vary the sound you get. Pretty neat little project, you will have fun, and in any case you will not be dissapointed. After all, it's a great opportunity to learn something and you will take pride in knowing that you have built it yourself
. Have fun!!!

post-1392772
Post #9 of 17

ECM

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
i own a pair of sr-125's and the "recommended" grado amp is very similar to a cmoy. i have built one and it sounds pretty good with my cans. be sure to lower the gain and use a chip with some current capability.

the headphone amp on the buf634 datasheet also sounds pretty good and can be made to fit inside a tin.

post-1393158
Post #10 of 17

Porksoda

500+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
you COULD try making an RA-1 clone, as it is basically just a CMoy with some careful parts selection. Do a little searching on the DIY forum and you should be able to find a handful of threads on how to make them.

post-1393614
Post #11 of 17

wwap

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
is portable pimeta really much better than a maxed out cmoy?

what are other suggestions on a maxed out pimeta?the only improvement I can think of is only more buffers on each channel

post-1393619
Post #12 of 17

wwap

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
sorry double post

post-1393625
Post #13 of 17

skyskraper

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
a pimeta will poo all over a "maxed" cmoy. it's a fantastic sounding amp. i still used mine all the time until it moved in with one of my friends. i'm thinking about building a "maxed" out one myself for long plane journeys and the such, what a poor excuse. i just wanna build another amp and have the pcb here

post-1393801
Post #14 of 17

samlasker

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
After doing more reading, I've become really interested in a basic 3-channel CMoy. Judging from this thread, reliance on virtual ground is one significant weakness of the CMoy design. A three-channel design doesn't add more than a few parts compared to the classic CMoy. So it would still be easier and cheaper than a PIMETA and provide a nice introduction to this kind of amp. PPA and M3 are 3-channel designs, too, right?

Guess I'll just have to figure out how to modify the existing CMoy... uh, right.
Of course, there's this, but I don't really want to mess with bipolar op-amps.

Edit: found Morsel's 3-channel design!
http://elvencraft.com/downloads/minidiffsch.gif
http://elvencraft.com/downloads/minidiff.gif

post-1393824
Post #15 of 17

MisterX

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Morsel's Minidiff is well worth the effort if skillz are up to the task.
It never fails to impress me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)