best portable amp for Grado HF-2
Oct 23, 2010 at 11:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

nathanv

Head-Fier
i just got my first audiophile grade headphones, HF-2s! but im not sure what the best amp is for them. i know nothing at all about amps. i was wondering if one of those altoid-C-moy amps would do the HF-2s justice, or should i chip out for something a little more expensive. i'm looking for something portable and something to hook in to a stereo. i'd like not to spend much more than 100 dollars on the portable and 300 on the stereo one. keep in mind that these are flexible prices.
thanks.

Oct 25, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #4 of 17

Quote:
i just got my first audiophile grade headphones, HF-2s! but im not sure what the best amp is for them. i know nothing at all about amps. i was wondering if one of those altoid-C-moy amps would do the HF-2s justice, or should i chip out for something a little more expensive. i'm looking for something portable and something to hook in to a stereo. i'd like not to spend much more than 100 dollars on the portable and 300 on the stereo one. keep in mind that these are flexible prices.
thanks.

PA2V2 works very well with Grados.

Oct 26, 2010 at 12:13 AM Post #5 of 17
Mini^3 is an excellent sounding amp for around $100
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 11, 2010 at 7:10 PM Post #10 of 17
The AMB Mini^3 is a DIY amp. You can find more info about it on its website at www.amb.org. If you are not handy with soldering, you check out the for sale section to see if there are any for sale. Or you can also look for MisterX and ask him a quote to build you one
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 12, 2010 at 12:55 AM Post #12 of 17
I know there are a lot of very good portables that goes well with the HF2, but the op is looking at around $100 range for a portable :)

Nov 12, 2010 at 9:15 AM Post #13 of 17

Quote:
Quote:
thanks.

PA2V2 works very well with Grados.

Using PA2V2 with my HF2 & happy with it. Inexpensive & long battery life.

Nov 13, 2010 at 12:31 AM Post #15 of 17
I used Graham Slee Voyager and it tames the sibilance of the treble of the HF2.
However I have recabled the HF2 with the panoroma cable 2 which is copper and
it improves the SQ without many hours of burn it.  And now I am happy with it
because it is light and easy to carry around the Graham Slee Voyager also use
one 9V batteries that can last for several days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back