Best PMP for SQ, Video and 60 Gigs or More
Sep 10, 2007 at 7:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

MrJingles

100+ Head-Fier
This whole iTouch thing has got me worked up enough to look into a nice PMP. The problem is that I have an 80gig iMod that I love, but want more out of one device.
*SQ is super important. I know it won't touch the iMod.
*I will be pairing the PMP with either the Tomahawk or Move so that will help.
*A LOD would be great.
*I want a large screen, 4" or bigger that looks great. A touch screen would be nice but not totally necessary.

I have absolutely no experience with these devices so I turn to the people that do. I know that the big boys are Cowon, Archos and Creative...probably more.

Thanks in advance!

Sep 10, 2007 at 10:50 PM Post #2 of 26
I think... you either want an iPod Classic or a Super Compact PC. The Move will work with either thanks to the DAC. If you want it to touch the iMod, you will have to pair it up with a better DAC though. The portable PC will meet more than all your needs I would think.

You can upgrade the portable PC's storage to 120 gbs internal or add on external.

Sep 10, 2007 at 11:38 PM Post #3 of 26
I'm about to purchase the new Archos 605. Video playback is tops-- both PQ and codec/format support. Sound quality may not be number one; but, I have other sources/players for top sound quality. I don't think we will ever see a PMP that is the best in both PQ and sound quality. Each product has its trade offs
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 11, 2007 at 12:05 AM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think... you either want an iPod Classic or a Super Compact PC. The Move will work with either thanks to the DAC. If you want it to touch the iMod, you will have to pair it up with a better DAC though. The portable PC will meet more than all your needs I would think.

You can upgrade the portable PC's storage to 120 gbs internal or add on external.

It's not a bad idea other than I really don't need a full computer, though the Super Compacts are small. I really just want more of a total media player with good sq. It's really tough because it's hard for me to try out different products. I guess I'll have to travel a little to do some testing. I don't know if I really can cut back on sq. Once you hear an iMod through a great amp, you really get spoiled.

Sep 11, 2007 at 12:13 AM Post #6 of 26
I'd wait for the Cowon A3, I have the A2 and the SQ is superb... Codec Support is basically the best in the business. I'd really recommend it, but it's not out for a few more months. Not sure about 60GBs though... I think it was announced but not completely sure. If you don't want to wait the A2 still has one of best SQ, but no 30GB.

Sep 11, 2007 at 12:15 AM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by dap_pad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd wait for the Cowon A3, I have the A2 and the SQ is superb... Codec Support is basically the best in the business. I'd really recommend it, but it's not out for a few more months. Not sure about 60GBs though... I think it was announced but not completely sure. If you don't want to wait the A2 still has one of best SQ, but no 30GB.

I've heard some nice things about the Cowon products. Also, the Q5 is supposed to be arriving soon. What's the difference between the two.

Sep 11, 2007 at 12:36 AM Post #8 of 26
i own the d2 and am not impressed with it. i cannot use the software as it crashes or has limited support. so i use itunes and for ripping cd-paranoia.

movie support is also not so great and cowon do not support accross the board the same codec. i hate how one company who is purported to be the best does not have standards. oh bother, i suppose i could care less, ill get an ipod touch.

Sep 11, 2007 at 2:14 AM Post #10 of 26
the cowon A3 is the best portable movie playing device available to us, it will literally play anything (as it supports soooo many video codecs natively) you throw at it and supports resolutions of up 1280x720...if it's SQ is anything like the A2 then it'll pretty much rock. Also one other pro, like all cowon products it doesn't need any software

Sep 11, 2007 at 1:56 PM Post #11 of 26
You guys should take a look at the Maxian D900. WinCE built in, very good screen, and sounds great.

Sep 11, 2007 at 2:20 PM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vulpix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You guys should take a look at the Maxian D900. WinCE built in, very good screen, and sounds great.

The unit specs look great, but the reviews I'm reading go back to last year. It hasn't even been released yet. I went the Maxian website and they don't even list it. The M800 looks amazing also, but have no idea when it will be released also. I want to take a look at the Cowon Q5 and A3 when they are released.

Sep 11, 2007 at 2:22 PM Post #13 of 26
Actually, if you go to the Maxian most recent news, it goes back to October of 2006.....maybe they are out of business.

Sep 11, 2007 at 6:09 PM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i own the d2 and am not impressed with it. i cannot use the software as it crashes or has limited support. so i use itunes and for ripping cd-paranoia.

movie support is also not so great and cowon do not support accross the board the same codec. i hate how one company who is purported to be the best does not have standards. oh bother, i suppose i could care less, ill get an ipod touch.

Don't hate on a great piece of hardware just because the software bundled with it is garbage. Pick up a third party media managing application and be done with it.

Sep 11, 2007 at 11:21 PM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrJingles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, if you go to the Maxian most recent news, it goes back to October of 2006.....maybe they are out of business.

I have no idea why the website update is so slow, but it's already available here in Singapore. So I guess I'm the first to try it out here? It sounds great, and the screen is fantastic. The only reason I'm not buying it yet is the price point...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back