best place to try out headphones in NYC?
Jul 21, 2005 at 4:51 PM Post #2 of 17
Grado factory.... or meet up with some headfiers

Jul 21, 2005 at 5:10 PM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlacker
Grado factory.... or meet up with some headfiers

Hehe, the factory is the worst place actually, they don't sell direct from their factory in Brooklyn.

In Manhattan I like to go to Sound by Singer at Union Square - they have a webpage. So does the Stereo Exchange, which is in SOHO. Sound by Singer has the full line, but the Stereo Exchange also has the AKGs (including the K1000) so it's nice for comparos. Sound by Singer has a dedicated rig just for the Grados (Xcan or a RKV with a ... Rotel CDP? Denon? Something like that) but the Stereo Exchange doesn't.

Avoid J&R like the plague.

Jul 21, 2005 at 6:44 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Hehe, the factory is the worst place actually, they don't sell direct from their factory in Brooklyn.

In Manhattan I like to go to Sound by Singer at Union Square - they have a webpage. So does the Stereo Exchange, which is in SOHO. Sound by Singer has the full line, but the Stereo Exchange also has the AKGs (including the K1000) so it's nice for comparos. Sound by Singer has a dedicated rig just for the Grados (Xcan or a RKV with a ... Rotel CDP? Denon? Something like that) but the Stereo Exchange doesn't.

Avoid J&R like the plague.

didnt know of those stores. do they let anyone to come in and listen to cans?

Jul 21, 2005 at 6:45 PM Post #6 of 17
No Alessandros available at any retail store.

I do have the MS-1 here with me in the City, though. Another head-fier here has the MS-2i. As for the MS-Pros...well...you'll have to go to Long Island for those!
orphsmile.gif

Jul 21, 2005 at 6:59 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlacker
didnt know of those stores. do they let anyone to come in and listen to cans?

Yep, unlike some of the upper east side places that are appointment only, the stores i mentioned you can just walk in. Just talk the talk a bit, show you know what you're talking about, and they'll trust you with the cans hehe. The owner of the Sound by Singer store was actually quite cool, he wanted to buy my cmoy, and was interested in the MS-1 I had at the time, versus the SR125 that he had in the store.

Jul 21, 2005 at 7:12 PM Post #8 of 17
Cool, I'll have to stop by those stores sometime. I need to hear for myself what the RS-1 and RS-2 sound like!

Jul 29, 2005 at 4:24 AM Post #9 of 17
Are there any places in NYC or Long Island to try out the Beyerdynamic line, particular DT880 and DT990?

Jul 29, 2005 at 4:47 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by fante7
Are there any places in NYC or Long Island to try out the Beyerdynamic line, particular DT880 and DT990?

unfortunately not that i know of - only the DT770 at guitar center, that's about it
frown.gif

Jul 29, 2005 at 7:03 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
unfortunately not that i know of - only the DT770 at guitar center, that's about it
frown.gif

There aren't any stores by my area, nor have I visited any HiFi shops in NYC that have headphones, but I am sure that Beyerdynamics are buy-able in NYC locations.

The reason I know is because back in my hometown of Fairfield, CT, there was an audio shop that had both Grados and Beyers to try -- and they had a sister store by another name in NYC. He told me both brands are popular amongst stereo/hifi stores. I actually tried out Beyer DT880s, 990s, and 770s there... and all of the Grados from the SR125 up
tongue.gif

Jul 29, 2005 at 1:37 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by fante7

Yes there should be. I just forget where it is. 9th Street maybe? Call Beyerdynamic USA and ask them, that's what I did.

Jul 29, 2005 at 2:05 PM Post #13 of 17
Hmm maybe I should look into finding that Beyer store, I wouldn't mind giving the whole line a listen again!

Jul 30, 2005 at 2:18 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by viator122
Yes there should be. I just forget where it is. 9th Street maybe? Call Beyerdynamic USA and ask them, that's what I did.

Oh, calling Beyerdynamic USA is a good idea too. Besides, they're on Long Island.. maybe they have a facility for headphone auditions?
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back