Best place to get high quality music files?
Jan 7, 2017 at 6:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

EthanB

Head-Fier
I'm new to high end headphones, and I've been reading about higher quality music files like flac. how much of a difference is there in the sound of a generic mp3 file, and a flac file? Also, where do I get music in higher quality formats? Thanks for the help!

Jan 7, 2017 at 9:04 PM Post #2 of 3

PurpleAngel

Headphoneus Supremus
Check out HDtracks.
If you already have good quality 256K-320K music audio files, you may not notice much (if any) difference compared to a FLAC audio music file.
Might also depend on what programs you use and DAC you use for playing audio files.

For my PC, I like to use Foobar2000 (w/WASAPI) for playing audio files.

Jan 7, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #3 of 3

buke9

Headphoneus Supremus
Help and Recommendation Contributor
I'm new to high end headphones, and I've been reading about higher quality music files like flac. how much of a difference is there in the sound of a generic mp3 file, and a flac file? Also, where do I get music in higher quality formats? Thanks for the help!
I would try out some sample 24 bit and dsd files first there are several places that have some demo files to try out. The only thing is they are from a lot of people that have never heard of so it is hard to tell the difference from a mp3 or the high rez version. I guess you could get them and then encode to mp3 to see if you hear a difference. I have several 24 bit albums and some dsd's and there is not a lot of difference to me. YMMV it's your money.

Users who are viewing this thread