Best place to buy HD600's
Jun 9, 2002 at 3:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Clay

New Head-Fier
I was wondeing the best place to buy the HD600's. I see it from Meier for $220, eBay for $259 (hififorless), or Headroom for $299 with $20 rebate and extended warranty to 5 years. Very limited authorized dealers for the rebate and free 5 year warranty extension. I would not expect the warranty would be needed anyway.
Opinions?
Thanks,
Clay

Jun 9, 2002 at 3:41 AM Post #2 of 26
I guess which one would be more of a priority for you.

Meir:Headroom. strapped for cash?:too much cash?

I bought from Meir and can attest to the good service I have gotten from him. He said allow for 2 weeks to arrive in my e-mail but I got the HD-600's in ~11 days after payment.

if you're really strap for cash just go with Meir, or if you've got money to spare and have been dealing with Headroom then just by from them. Both are great stores

Jun 9, 2002 at 5:34 AM Post #3 of 26
I too can highly recommend Jan Meier. I mean, why pay more than you have to? There's enough other equipment to spend the money on that you save on these headphones. HeadRoom is fine if you think you will probably return the phones, under their 30 day return policy. But I've found they're a lot quicker to take your money for a sale than to refund it for a return. You never know about warranties, but not many HD600 owners seem to need them.

Jun 9, 2002 at 6:19 AM Post #4 of 26
Headroom is the only place I would recommend to buy phones.I have purchased headphones and amplifiers from Dr.Meier and do not have anything bad to say about him or his business.You must take into consideration that you are doing business with an overseas dealer.Tyll and Headroom are right here in the US doing everything they can possibly do to educate us all about headphones and amps.The World of Headphones tour featured amps made by Dr.Meier as well as other stuff Headroom doesn't even sell.For this they deserve our business.I checked and the savings is only $35.00 after shipping.I will also add that Dr.Meier is not an aurthorized US dealer and none of the rebates or extended warranties apply for that transaction.Check for yourself.BTW,you ALWAYS need a warranty.

Jun 9, 2002 at 6:30 AM Post #5 of 26
I know that Jan is an authorized dealer, so the warranty should still apply. However, it *does* take a while for anything to get here from Germany... so if you're impatient go with HeadRoom. If you want to support HeadRoom, buy a Max
biggrin.gif

Jun 9, 2002 at 7:00 AM Post #6 of 26
At the NY Home Entertainment show the reps at the Sennheiser USA display were demonstrating their phones as well as showing off some new gear.They made a big deal about using authorized dealers and even had a printed handout of authorized US dealers.The rebate form that was also handed out stated in bold print that the phones "must be purchased from an authorized US dealer".Anyone who was at the show(Jude,gloco,reyman) saw the same thing that I did.I also double checked the Sennheiser USA website to be sure.NOWHERE on the site is Meier audio listed as a dealer.Like I said,check for yourself.

Jun 9, 2002 at 7:06 AM Post #7 of 26
Agreed. It would be very very hard for Jan to be an authorized US dealer, considering he's in Germany! However, he is an authorized Sennheiser dealer, so although the rebate form might not work, the warranty probably will.

Jun 9, 2002 at 3:23 PM Post #8 of 26
Clay,

Both Meir and Headroom are authorized dealers. Meir gets a price break because he is in Germany just like a U.S. dealer can usually do better with Grado headphones. If you want so save money and your not in a super hurry, go with Meir. If your not sure whether or not the HD600 is the right headphones for you, go with the Headroom 30 day return policy. As for eBay, I need a significant savings before I would justify the risk, regardless of the feedback. But that's me.

Jun 9, 2002 at 6:55 PM Post #9 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by Tuberoller
I checked and the savings is only $35.00 after shipping..

Just curious, can you do the math for me? Jan sells the HD600 for $220 including shipping while Headroom sells for $299 plus shipping. Even if you dont get the $20 rebate from Jan it would seem the difference would be $50 plus whatever Headroom charges for shipping.

For the original poster, I have done business with both Jan and Headroom and if he carries the product I want then Jan gets first shot at my business unless I may want to use Headrooms 30 day return policy. Even then I have read a number of posts here where people have had to hound Headroom to actually get their credit cards credited after they made returns.

IMHO, YMMV yadda yadda

Nick

Jun 9, 2002 at 9:30 PM Post #10 of 26
I bought the HD600 from Meier-Audio a few weeks ago and he quoted me a price substantially less than the $220 listed on his website. Also as noted above his prices include shipping. I probably saved close to $100 over headrooms price. It took about 11 days for the headphones to get to Ohio.

Jun 10, 2002 at 1:31 AM Post #11 of 26
Majert GmBH (Hans der Baer) sells the 600 new on Ebay for $210, shipping included. I got mine in 2 days! (Living in NYC helped, I'm sure!) This was the second pair of Senn phones I've bought from Majert, and each set was brand new, in flawless condition, and came with normal warranty (as well as fully itemized receipt). This won't get you the $20 U.S. rebate, but at that price you won't need one!

happy hunting!

smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 15, 2002 at 8:36 AM Post #13 of 26
I got my HD600's from Hans Da Bear (Majert) on ebay, $210 SHIPPED. They were brand spankin new and got to me in 5 days from Germany (I live in California).

Great deal IMO. Best $210 I've spent on audio gear.

Jun 15, 2002 at 9:10 AM Post #14 of 26
I finally bit the bullet and ordered the HD600 and Corda HA-1 from Jan today. I have found that this forum cost me $$, yet I have learned a lot in the week or so since I have found head-fi. Now it looks like I will get the Sony SACD if I can find one for a great price. I am also looking at the tube DIY kits for a project.
Thanks to all for the fantastic learnings so far.
Jan has the HD600 on an unadvertized special if you are looking.

Jun 15, 2002 at 5:08 PM Post #15 of 26
I bought my HD600 from Hans before I had found Jan's site and business. Han delivered as promised and all was well so I have nothing but praise for that transaction.

I've bought other stuff from Jan though and would like to dispute some of the other reasons people have for not wanting to buy from Meier.

Wait time: I got my stuff from Jan in exactly 7 days after payment had been made. I consider this reasonable for any business, foreign or domestic.

"Authorized US dealer": Jan is an authorized dealer in Germany. Jan has a very good relationship with Sennheiser and the other companies he represents. I'm quite sure that if you had a problem with a product you bought from him, he'd take care of you.

So um yeah, support US if you want. Support HeadRoom if you want. I dig both HeadRoom and Meier a lot so I'm not offended by your support for either business. I just think some of the reasons to NOT use Meier are bogus.

Anyway, I also dig the Corda HA-1 a lot so you were able to get a bit of a shipping discount by ordering both at once. Good move, I say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back